Morrissey's 2011 - the highlights, the lowlights, general thoughts. A good year?

Maurice E

It's been an odd year for Morrissey, really. If I'm honest, quite a bit worse than I was expecting/hoping.
What have we got to look forward to in 2012? An acceptance that a new album probably won't get off the drawing board. A horrible legal battle with the world's bitchiest music publication.
The biggest plus of 2011 was the setlist (and the tour, generally). It was wonderful to hear all those pre-Quarry 'solo' gems - a period that he's criminally overlooked in the last 7 years- and hearing I Know It's Over live is one of my favourite memories from any concert ever.
The new songs are kind of ok. Action should get decent airplay on Radio 2 (if not anywhere else), and Art Hounds has one of his strongest melodies and singing performances for years. But an album largely full of 'People are the same' type-plod is surely an unapppealing prospect.
Let's hope he patches things up with Alain Whyte, or there is some truth in the Stephen Street rumour that I so desperately wanted to believe. Also, if the Stone Roses reunion is the massive success it promises to be, hopefully that'll get Marr and Morrissey considering their options, especially when the alternative is DIY solo projects with dismal sales and critical indifference.

The year had its ups and downs. I definitely don't find favor with certain things -his Norway comment, banning David, the f*** Solo shirts- but, he debuted several new songs, most of which to my ears (I think I've finally decided) are actually pretty good. Not great, but better than "not bad." And the important thing is that he is still writing, still creating, still shaping his craft, and most importantly not backing down.

The tour was very celebrated, the book is ready to go, and physically he seems to look and feel better than he has in a long time. He's given some of the wittiest press since the '04 comeback, and although his recent TTY message contained some perilous implications, it seems he is in control of his situation and that he stands by where he is in life.

So, I'd say overall that he is wrapping up 2011 with more than enough to be proud of.

As a very longtime fan who this year, for various reasons, went through the most anti-Morrissey phase I've ever experienced, which I'm fairly sure I've now emerged from still in awe of this guy (however loathe I may sometimes be to admit it), I'm confident in saying that where the 2011 Year In Morrissey is concerned, the good of the last twelve months outweighs the bad, a new year is upon us all, and it's time to start over fresh and see what happens.

Let's hope for the best.

Didn't pay much attention to Morrissey in 2011. He said something really stupid in the immediate wake of the Norway atrocity, to exploit it and get in the papers. He showed a lot of tolerance by having Tseng banned for life and wearing a "f*** Morrissey-Solo" t-shirt. Did I miss anything?

I recall he wore that "f*** Morrissey-Solo" t-shirt after Boz Boorer asked for a real fan to create a real web site.

Boz's request failed to inspire a single person.

I guess it ain't so easy to create a good web site. Or no one cares to go to the bother when a good one already exists.

Maybe Boz should retire to his couch and Morrissey should find a new collaborator?

374732_10150448846019200_563919199_8756943_703042234_n.jpg

Didn't get to see any of the dates on the tour, obviously, but watching a lot on Youtube, Morrissey finished up in very good form, I think.
I feel the same about the new songs. I think there are a couple strong album tracks in the lot, with Action and Art as possible singles (if that format is even relevant anymore). I don't actually think he needs to replace his collaborators, he just needs to bring in a genius or two to up everyone's game if they hope to get their stuff on the new album.

I hope 2012 brings more tour dates, the release of the biography, Morrissey trouncing the NME and of course a new album. That would be perfect. The NME court case may bring out some very witty vitriol that will inform his lyrics (as long as they're not as on-the-nose as some of the Joyce-inspired tracks were).

Edit: Oh, and I also agree that the F Morrissey-solo shirts were unnecessary. If would've been good if he had put quotation marks around the "f***" to at least soften it a bit.

The year had its ups and downs. I definitely don't find favor with certain things -his Norway comment, banning David, the f*** Solo shirts- but, he debuted several new songs, most of which to my ears (I think I've finally decided) are actually pretty good. Not great, but better than "not bad." And the important thing is that he is still writing, still creating, still shaping his craft, and most importantly not backing down.

The tour was very celebrated, the book is ready to go, and physically he seems to look and feel better than he has in a long time. He's given some of the wittiest press since the '04 comeback, and although his recent TTY message contained some perilous implications, it seems he is in control of his situation and that he stands by where he is in life.

So, I'd say overall that he is wrapping up 2011 with more than enough to be proud of.

As a very longtime fan who this year, for various reasons, went through the most anti-Morrissey phase I've ever experienced, which I'm fairly sure I've now emerged from still in awe of this guy (however loathe I may sometimes be to admit it), I'm confident in saying that where the 2011 Year In Morrissey is concerned, the good of the last twelve months outweighs the bad, a new year is upon us all, and it's time to start over fresh and see what happens.

Let's hope for the best.

Last edited:
Edit: Oh, and I also agree that the F Morrissey-solo shirts were unnecessary. If would've been good if he had put quotation marks around the "f***" to at least soften it a bit.

I think I read somewhere at the time that he was given those t-shirts by a fan. He didn't have them made. Is that incorrect?

Solorzano wishes he had been let out of his parents' house long enough to have given Morrissey the shirts personally...

Alas, no, he merely suggested it to Boz, on Facebook, and Boz took the ball and ran with it.

I see. Thanks for the clarification. :)

Didn't get to see any of the dates on the tour, obviously, but watching a lot on Youtube, Morrissey finished up in very good form, I think. I feel the same about the new songs. I think there are a couple strong album tracks in the lot, with Action and Art as possible singles (if that format is even relevant anymore). I don't actually think he needs to replace his collaborators, he just needs to bring in a genius or two to up everyone's game if they hope to get their stuff on the new album.
I hope 2012 brings more tour dates, the release of the biography, Morrissey trouncing the NME and of course a new album. That would be perfect. The NME court case may bring out some very witty vitriol that will inform his lyrics (as long as they're not as on-the-nose as some of the Joyce-inspired tracks were).

I can't honestly see that any good will come of the NME court case in terms of lyrical inspiration. We'll just get more bitterness and bluntness. I really hope he wins though. The arrogance of the NME is unbelievable. I remember they once said words to the effect of 'in any conflict between the NME and a band, the NME will always win' although they were referring to a critical pounding rather than a legal battle.
Am I the only fan who's not actually that bothered about the auto-biography? I'd rather hear 2 or 3 brilliant new songs.
Do you really think he can write a brilliant album with the current collaborators which appears to be just Boorer and Tobias? If Whyte has left the songwriting fold (still no official word, presumably), and no-one else has stepped in, I would really not have much faith in the musical quality of a new release unless Boz has managed to rediscover his early 90s form...

I can't honestly see that any good will come of the NME court case in terms of lyrical inspiration. We'll just get more bitterness and bluntness. I really hope he wins though. The arrogance of the NME is unbelievable. I remember they once said words to the effect of 'in any conflict between the NME and a band, the NME will always win' although they were referring to a critical pounding rather than a legal battle.
Am I the only fan who's not actually that bothered about the auto-biography? I'd rather hear 2 or 3 brilliant new songs.
Do you really think he can write a brilliant album with the current collaborators which appears to be just Boorer and Tobias? If Whyte has left the songwriting fold (still no official word, presumably), and no-one else has stepped in, I would really not have much faith in the musical quality of a new release unless Boz has managed to rediscover his early 90s form...

Let's apply this to a hypothetical situation.

You're given a project and able to select team members to complete the job.
Which do you prefer, people you don't get on with, but they're good at deliver things on time, or people you find comfortable with, but they aren't perfect for the job?

In Morrissey's case he chooses to work with people who he is get on with.
Perhaps the perfection isn't in his priority.
Making / playing music is not the same as making machines.

Last edited:
Agreed on seeing NME "pwned".

I'm very hot and bothered about the auto-biography. It's the only one I'd ever consider paying money for.

No, I don't think Boz and Jesse alone can write a brilliant album. But I think they, especially Boz, could contribute strong album tracks (Action... is already one) if scared straight by a more talented contributor. Get Marr, get Butler, maybe a couple others and may the best tracks win.

Yes, having a pool of contributors that included Marr would be a dream. I don't think Marr would ever allow one of his songs to be released purely under the Morrissey name, though. If they did collaborate, I expect it would be as 'Marr and Morrissey' or vice versa.
Butler seems an odd choice. Is he really any good at writing songs these days? I thought the last songwriting thing he did was the Tears which was a commercial and critical failure. I'd rather Morrissey wrote with Gary Barlow than Bernard Butler!

Get Marr, get Butler, maybe a couple others and may the best tracks win.

Well, of cause we ignore mostly every single Morrissey comment has made this year. But I'm quite impressed with "Scandinavia" and I believe it's the best song he's done. As for Art Hounds, he's played it once and the quality isn't good enough for me to judge on at present. I believe this 2011 tour is loads better than his boring 2009 tour. He's picked mainly strong songs and bringing back "I Know It's Over" from his old dusted shelf was a very good song to include. He also looks very healthy and slimmer now, which I am very happy to see rather than an old fat Moz singing boring new songs on a stage.
Hopefully next year with an autobiography, possibly more session work through radio? and a continued tour? He's career might grow!

Good point -- it would probably have to be a "Morrissey & Marr" all or nothing.

Butler hasn't written anything of note in a long time, and while Marr has been prolific none of his recent offerings will stand the test of time either. But if they knew they were writing for Morrissey they'd bring it, I think.
Hell, even Jeff Beck's little flourish on Black Cloud was one of the best things on Years.

Contributors that would help make a classic Morrissey album because they want to be part of a classic Morrissey album.

I liked Years quite a bit, but it cannot be the final offering...

I'm quite impressed with "Scandinavia" and I believe it's the best song he's done.

Yeah, I was too negative in my above post. "Scandinavia" is a really good song.

Let's apply this to a hypothetical situation.

You're given a project and able to select team members to complete the job.
Which do you prefer, people you don't get on with, but they're good at deliver things on time, or people you find comfortable with, but they aren't perfect for the job?

In Morrissey's case he chooses to work with people who he is get on with.
Perhaps the perfection isn't in his priority.
Making / playing music is not the same as making machines.

From what I know of many bands, it's not at all true that you have to be the best of friends to make great music together.

The live shows. The low point was that I didn't get to hear Arthounds. Morrissey was in great voice and I'll trust all his decisions concerning new material/collaborators.

Yeah, Jeff Beck's flourish was pretty pleasing! I quite like YOR, too. I agree with the critical consensus that it was his best album since the 1990s. It had 4 or 5 great or really good songs - the previous two albums only had 1 or 2.
As for collaborators upping their game to supply music for a new Morrissey album, I hope he'd respond similarly with his lyrics. It was great to hear him talking about the lack of social commentary in modern music back in the summer, and I was hoping he might start focusing on this again. But all we got was fat Aunt Mable at the table, and tongue against tongue (hours of fun), we've only just begun - possibly the most foolish and banal lyrics he's ever written.

Good point -- it would probably have to be a "Morrissey & Marr" all or nothing. Butler hasn't written anything of note in a long time, and while Marr has been prolific none of his recent offerings will stand the test of time either. But if they knew they were writing for Morrissey they'd bring it, I think. Hell, even Jeff Beck's little flourish on Black Cloud was one of the best things on Years.
Contributors that would help make a classic Morrissey album because they want to be part of a classic Morrissey album.
I liked Years quite a bit, but it cannot be the final offering...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom