Morrissey quality control

Re: Post your pleas for Morrissey to stop the insanity and get back to what he does b

It is one thing to see Morrissey slowly go down the tubes musically over the years. It is difficult to become accustomed to the fact that the passionate, romantic Morrissey of the 80's and 90's seems to be forever gone and one should accept the fact after not enjoying the music of the last few albums he has released, you're probably not going to get any new Morrissey music that you like.
However, it is another thing entirely to see Morrissey chipping away at your childhood memories and seemingly purposely trying to disrupt and disturb and perhaps destroy all the reasons you used to love him and his music. I am sick of this shit.

Mr. Morrissey, you and I are at a crossroads. I am seriously considering writing you out of my life forevermore. I have come to accept the fact that with age and success and money, you have become a different person than the lonesome, forlorn rebel who poured his bleeding heart out on music sheets. Although you have changed, I had learned to accept the new you, even if I didn't buy the albums. However, after hearing the latest news of Viva Hate and seeing the vulgar picture of its redesign, I'm not sure I can bear anymore. This is me saying goodbye, Steven. This is me walking away. From time to time I will think of you kindly.

Re: Post your pleas for Morrissey to stop the insanity and get back to what he does b

If he really hated Ordinary Boys and Late Night Maudlin Street at least he could give us two versions of Viva Hate (in a 2CD set), original and director's cut. With bonuses appended to either or both of the CDs (or neither) as applicable. But taking out tracks is ridiculous.

It was almost as disatisfying with Southpaw and Maladjusted, probably the reason the Viva Hate chopping and changing is raising more of an outcry because most fans agree Viva Hate is a great album, one of his best. And Late Night Maudlin Street is one of his best songs as well...

Having watched the Viña del Mar gig, that performance absolutely was Moz at his best.

Oh, grow the f*** up. If you don't like the re-issues, don't buy them. The original album hasn't disappeared from existence - you can listen to Ordinary Boys and Maudlin Street any time you want.

Money for nothing? Would you turn it down? Didn't think so.

Oh, grow the f*** up. If you don't like the re-issues, don't buy them. The original album hasn't disappeared from existence - you can listen to Ordinary Boys and Maudlin Street any time you want.

Money for nothing? Would you turn it down? Didn't think so.

If it's about the money, he could probably get a bit more money by doing sensible reissues.

Having watched the Viña del Mar gig, that performance absolutely was Moz at his best.

I would go and test your hearing sometime this week. I'd go for an early appointment as to avoid the rush and to avoid disruption to dinner time.

Morrissey was rumoured to be nearly bankrupt around the RAH shows of 2002. Has he really made that amount of money in a decade?

Re:

I would go and test your hearing sometime this week. I'd go for an early appointment as to avoid the rush and to avoid disruption to dinner time.

Morrissey was rumoured to be nearly bankrupt around the RAH shows of 2002. Has he really made that amount of money in a decade?

Since 2004 I assume he managed to make a fortune again.

The success of YATQ, Mark Ronson cover version and steady air play royalty payment / sales of back catalogue brought a lot of money.

Re:

Save your breath, Theo: this is the LAST place Morrissey would be sympathetic to the wishes of

besides, he's just hanging himself with his own foolishness at this point anyway. The Viva Hate remaster will have linolieum-level sales figures and his fans will scorch him to his deathbad for tampering with the album so misguidedly

Give me your MONEY!

This post is prompted by the news from Stephen Street that Morrissey is releasing a shabby version of "Viva Hate" where not just the font has been messed with (as if that weren't shocking enough) but "The Ordinary Boys" has been deleted and "Late Night, Maudlin Street" has been butchered.

This impostor must not be allowed to replace the "Viva Hate" we know and love. Do they really believe remastering songs for the shitty equipment we all play our music on means anything to our ears? But, okay, have your fun with that if it's so darned important to audiophiles (though I think it's a scam to get us to buy shit again and again). As long as you don't go too crazy and you understand that we love "Viva Hate" as it is! We have quite enough change in our lives, what with the entire world going down the tubes all around us. We do not need this additional turmoil.

It's verging on a horrific atrocity that Morrissey is f***ing up classic albums instead of focusing like a laser beam on a new masterpiece. The dude owes us a new album (well past due). Instead he's screwing with stuff we already love and want left alone.

I wish Stephen Street had never woken up in the middle of the night during his mid-life crisis and decided to write Morrissey a letter. And maybe it would've been better had that dog bitten Morrissey in the neck instead of his finger and stopped Morrissey from the ASININE shit he's been doing since "Years of Refusal" (good album - credit where credit is due).

Asinine: "Swords"
AsiTEN: Redesigned "Southpaw Grammar"
AsiELEVEN: Redesigned "Maladjusted"
AsiTWELVE: Redesigned "Bona Drag"
AsiTHIRTEEN: "Very Best of Morrissey"
AsiFOURTEENFIFTEENSIXTEEN: Redesigned "Viva Hate"

Come on now.

Perhaps Morrissey's aware folks tend to die shortly after publishing their memoirs. Perhaps this is why he's scrambling to "fix" shit that ain't broke.

Troubling....

tumblr_lzuhao3cQm1r5e753o1_500.jpg

Re: Give me your MONEY!

How does "butchering" LT,MS change anything? Does the original not still exist? Same goes for Ordinary Boys. Noone forcing you not to listen to them, especially as you dont like remasters anyway. If you dont like it, dont listen.

It will still exist but not in a remastered version.

Also it's a really silly spectacle him putting out these changed LPs, Viva Hate the most as it is so loved and acclaimed.

Hopefully Viva Hate 2012 will sink to the bargain bin of history in the same way that the EMI Centenary edition did - none of us are getting upset that those bonus tracks have been deleted in the 2012 version...

Sorry Morrissey: I've bought everything you have ever released, multiple formats, even the re-releases, but this re-re-release is too much and I won't be buying it. Downloads will appear within a few days of the release so I will hear what Street has done to the rest of the tracks, and hear if 'Human Being' has been improved, scans of Hynde's sleeve notes will also appear, but I'm buggered if I'm going to contribute to any record sales that might tempt EMI to pay you to continue ruining your legacy. By all means revisit the back catalogue, tweak the sound, add extra material in a second CD (you could add the Wolverhampton DVD and we'd all go wet for it), write some extra sleeve notes and add some snaps from the family album, but don't f**k about with something that was perfect 20+ years ago and remains perfect now.

Dave

I will be getting this release (both formats) and possibly even the Promo which comes with it BUT it does not mean that I am happy with that. Dear old Moz , this is not the way forward : you cant keep re-releasing Albums by changing the Cover and omitting songs in favour of others. Oh no....
Cheers Moz

But what if... what if, for some personal reasons, he really doesn't like "Ordinary Boys" anymore and simply wants to forget it, to erase it? Or what if he really believes that "Late Night, Maudlin Street" is too long and irrelevant in its initial form? I guess that after all he has the right to do what he wants with his past albums, even to butcher them to make room for some obscure tracks, doesn't he? I am being the devil's advocate, I know, but I'm struggling to find a rational explanation. Or maybe he simply likes to create some controversy?

R.E.M. doesn't like Wendell Gee yet they didn't feel the need to omit it from their 2010 Fables of the Reconstruction reissue. Hell, I'm sure a lot of other artists who are remastering/reissuing albums aren't in favor of many old songs they did...but they include them on reissues. Why? Because it was on the actual album; it's a product of its artistic time period. Morrissey is the only artist who deems it necessary to delete songs he doesn't like.

Hopefully Viva Hate 2012 will sink to the bargain bin of history in the same way that the EMI Centenary edition did - none of us are getting upset that those bonus tracks have been deleted in the 2012 version...

Sorry Morrissey: I've bought everything you have ever released, multiple formats, even the re-releases, but this re-re-release is too much and I won't be buying it. Downloads will appear within a few days of the release so I will hear what Street has done to the rest of the tracks, and hear if 'Human Being' has been improved, scans of Hynde's sleeve notes will also appear, but I'm buggered if I'm going to contribute to any record sales that might tempt EMI to pay you to continue ruining your legacy. By all means revisit the back catalogue, tweak the sound, add extra material in a second CD (you could add the Wolverhampton DVD and we'd all go wet for it), write some extra sleeve notes and add some snaps from the family album, but don't f**k about with something that was perfect 20+ years ago and remains perfect now.

Dave

Agree with your sentiments Dave, almost entirely, the only difference being that I will be buying it. :crazy:

Like many others, I'm no fan of vinyls of CDs and If I want an album, I go to iTunes or any other online store and take it in seconds, so nobody can say that the original Viva Hate is impossible to find.

The problem is that iTunes does not offer lossless audio files. And I'm skeptical about the "many people" you're referring to.

Last edited:

Agree with your sentiments Dave, almost entirely, the only difference being that I will be buying it. :crazy:

It won't get shelf room in my house... I'd rather start collecting the international variants of the original... I'm sure Mikael has a photo somewhere...

Dave

R.E.M. doesn't like Wendell Gee yet they didn't feel the need to omit it from their 2010 Fables of the Reconstruction reissue. Hell, I'm sure a lot of other artists who are remastering/reissuing albums aren't in favor of many old songs they did...but they include them on reissues. Why? Because it was on the actual album; it's a product of its artistic time period. Morrissey is the only artist who deems it necessary to delete songs he doesn't like.

I wonder if there are ANY other artists that are rewriting history in the way that Morrissey is doing?

Dave

Really don't care one way or the other. Buy it/Don't buy it. Up to you. I already have it in a form I'm perfectly happy with, so I won't be parting with any cash.

It's not as if he's doing a Marty McFly and actually changing the past, you do realise this, don't you? Your existing LP/CD/cassette/wax cylinder isn't going to go all shimmery and change tracklisting, you know.

If Morrissey wants to tweak his back catalogue, that's up to him. I don't necessarily agree with the changes he's making but I'm not going to get my knickers in a twist over it.

As for the fact that 'other artists' don't meddle with their 'legacy' (and I'm not convinced reissuing a record with slightly altered content qualifies), well not being like 'other artists' (or other anyones for the matter) is a huge part of Morrissey's appeal. For me anyway.

In a word: chillax. :cool:

Re:

Really don't care one way or the other. Buy it/Don't buy it. Up to you. I already have it in a form I'm perfectly happy with, so I won't be parting with any cash.

It's not as if he's doing a Marty McFly and actually changing the past, you do realise this, don't you? Your existing LP/CD/cassette/wax cylinder isn't going to go all shimmery and change tracklisting, you know.

If Morrissey wants to tweak his back catalogue, that's up to him. I don't necessarily agree with the changes he's making but I'm not going to get my knickers in a twist over it.

As for the fact that 'other artists' don't meddle with their 'legacy' (and I'm not convinced reissuing a record with slightly altered content qualifies), well not being like 'other artists' (or other anyones for the matter) is a huge part of Morrissey's appeal. For me anyway.

In a word: chillax. :cool:

Chillax?

What an awful word. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom