Morrissey sends statement criticising new book via nephew

Just spotted the article below on the Word magazine forum. It seems Morrissey's nephew turned up at the recent book launch in Manchester and read a statement by Morrissey criticising the book?

Did anyone see this?

Morrissey's nephew turns up at Morrissey book launch and upbraids author - The Word

Uncleskinny posted the following clarification in the original thread:

"Self appointed experts", "Dull as dishwater tribute band" - both utter knackers. I was there, know some of the panellists and the band were fricking great. Anyway, on to the salient point.

Morrissey's nephew was there, and did read a message from Morrissey. Far from pointing out "various factual inaccuracies in the book", it dwelt on one point only, in Chapter Eleven, which asked if Morrissey had pitch-controlled his voice on 'Skull'. That's what Morrissey picked up on when reading the book, and that's what his nephew read out. The statement made it clear that Morrissey had not altered his voice and went on to explain that singing in that high register was actually starting to damage Morrissey's vocal cords, hence the shift down for later live performances.

That's what happened. The article on the Word blog exaggerates things somewhat.

Oh, and the evening ground to a halt after that, because it was going to before. His statement was the last bit of the evening. Several people asked questions, the event was about to be wrapped up, Eoin said "Any more questions?" and then the statement. To suggest that the event was ended because of the statement and the 'ashen faced' panellists is plain wrong.

Update: 10am PT, Oct. 11: posted in the comments by punky:

On behalf of my co-editors (Aileen Dillane and Martin Power) and myself I have issued the following statement to the Word Blog concerning a report on the launch of our book at Waterstones, Deansgate, Manchester. I will not be making any further comment on the matter.

Dr. Eoin Devereux, co-editor.

"As one of the editors of the book referred to in this post I wish to point out the following factual errors.

1. Morrissey's nephew did read a statement referring to a SINGLE issue which he disagrees with in one of our book's chapters. He did NOT refer to "various factual inaccuracies" in the book.

2. The author was not ashen-faced as you report. The author who is a contributor to the edited book was not even present.

3. The night did not grind to a halt. There were more questions and even some humorous comments made following the statement referred to above. Book launch events usually finish with some questions and answers.

As someone who saw The Smiths play and is a lifetime Morrissey fan I and my colleagues are not, as you say, "self-appointed Morrissey experts". Your description of These Charming Men as being as 'Dull as Dishwater' is obviously an opinion not shared by the audience who clapped and cheered their 6 songs."

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
That the "self appointed experts" were "utter knackers" seems a fair assessment - just like the "0" sitting beside the announcement of this event in the forum.

Oh Morrissey, for f***s sake. Have you nothing better to do?

@Amy - Um, no. Haven't you been listening to his music? :lbf:

Well, that was exciting! Nice correction, Uncleskinny. It's a compliment really, that Morrissey is interested, and something easily amended, with its own story now, in the second print. Play it again, Sam! :thumb:

Which nephew was it?

Morrissey uses "Autotune" to make his singing more accurate. It is really obvious on Live at Earl's Court. If you pay attention, his voice on it is very different from the usual live recordings, including Beethoven Was Deaf. It sounds too plain, every note he sings go straight to the right tone, and it feels like he's singing in a tin can. That's typical Autotune. Anyway, overdubs on live records are a very common thing, we can't blame him for using technology, still I will always prefer the real sound, including the minor flaws.

Morrissey uses "Autotune" to make his singing more accurate. It is really obvious on Live at Earl's Court. If you pay attention, his voice on it is very different from the usual live recordings, including Beethoven Was Deaf. It sounds too plain, every note he sings go straight to the right tone, and it feels like he's singing in a tin can. That's typical Autotune. Anyway, overdubs on live records are a very common thing, we can't blame him for using technology, still I will always prefer the real sound, including the minor flaws.

Hey Moron,

Have you ever seen Morrissey live? He's usually pitch perfect anyway. Get a life!

Er, quite. Or simply watch one of the bootlegs videos shot at Earls Court, then compare it to the official album - both pretty much note perfect. The reason Live at Earls Court sounds so much more lifeless than Beethoven was Deaf is due to the mix, not autotune of all things.

Get some q-tips. Morrissey doesn't use autotune.

If this is a "compliment" (that Morrissey looked at a book about himself and all he could find to say was that it was factually inaccurate) I'd hate to hear the insults!

This is the first time I've commented on this site, but I feel I should point out (since people are claiming that Moz never uses autotune) that the Live At The Hollywood Bowl disc that came with the Greatest Hits is unambiguously autotuned. Not that I have a problem with it.

On behalf of my co-editors (Aileen Dillane and Martin Power) and myself I have issued the following statement to the Word Blog concerning a report on the launch of our book at Waterstones, Deansgate, Manchester. I will not be making any further comment on the matter.

Dr. Eoin Devereux, co-editor.

"As one of the editors of the book referred to in this post I wish to point out the following factual errors.

1. Morrissey's nephew did read a statement referring to a SINGLE issue which he disagrees with in one of our book's chapters. He did NOT refer to "various factual inaccuracies" in the book.

2. The author was not ashen-faced as you report. The author who is a contributor to the edited book was not even present.

3. The night did not grind to a halt. There were more questions and even some humorous comments made following the statement referred to above. Book launch events usually finish with some questions and answers.

As someone who saw The Smiths play and is a lifetime Morrissey fan I and my colleagues are not, as you say, "self-appointed Morrissey experts". Your description of These Charming Men as being as 'Dull as Dishwater' is obviously an opinion not shared by the audience who clapped and cheered their 6 songs."

I was there, Uncleskinny is right, and whoever wrote the original piece is just being a bit mean. The event wasn't very exciting as it goes, but I thought the music was lovely, and the statement from Morrissey was followed immediately with a well received joke about a hotel fire and was handled with great aplomb, I thought.

Will be using this book for kindling this winter in the fireplace. Extra copies tossed out the window on the M-5 for massive pile-up! Cheers all! J.R.

I only wish there were MORE inaccuracies, it might make the book a more interesting read!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom