Does your knowledge of an artists politics affect your appreciation of thier music?

Re: Does your knowledge of an artists politics affect your appreciation of thier musi

If you don't like the way a particular country is run, don't try to change it. Either you learn to adapt to its culture or customs, or fix what is wrong with your own country.

What about muslims who are born in Australia?

Re: Does your knowledge of an artists politics affect your appreciation of thier musi

It depends on what an artist stands for, I suppose. If Morrissey was to condone hard drug use, child abuse, wife-beating, and bashing up black people and social minorities then that would definitely cause me to cease supporting him and his music altogether. I am not politically correct, but I can understand why Morrissey is seen to be upset with immigration. A country's appeal and identity lies very strongly in its own social and cultural traditions. When it is challenged or threatened with extinction by people who come to the country as a migrant and start telling us how to live our lives, how to dress, what festivals and holy days we should be celebrating then I think they've got a hide.

We've been having such problems in Australia over the last 10 - 20 years ever since the Muslim communities took a stronghold and complained about celebrating Christmas, and the clothes that our women choose to wear. I think they should go shove it.

Except for the Aborigines, the white Australians were here before the Middle-Easterns were. If you don't like the way a particular country is run, don't try to change it. Either you learn to adapt to its culture or customs, or fix what is wrong with your own country. I'm glad to see the Libyans do that with Gaddafi recently, now it's time that people in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Syria, Israel, and Saudi Arabia did the same with their tyrannical rulers.
Hey Dario, On one point I wouldn't worry, there is absolutely no danger of you being accussed of being PC.

Re:

Oh Anaesthesine, I think I love you . I think you're exactly right. This medium is a ghastly method for exchanging ideas. I have no doubt that you are totally sound in all of your reasoning. After a rather acrimonious exchange with Qvist, I've become a little tense over this forum.

This forum can be downright poisonous at times, but Qvist is a good (and very well-informed) egg. You two are oil and water, though. :rolleyes:

I agree with your last paragraph. Although could you enlarge on the Picasso bit?

Oh, it's nothing serious. I never really cared for most of Picasso's work (although "Guernica" is a masterpiece that has fascinated me forever). When I read some biographical information it just sort of confirmed that I felt alienated from his canvasses for a reason. I didn't allow the "facts" of Picasso's life to interfere in my enjoyment of his work; in his case it did help explain a certain antipathy.

Nice image CG. :)

Re:

Back to basics: Morrissey's singularly beautiful voice negates any nonsense that may spew forth in an unguarded/unfortunate moment. Wagner's music overrode his bigotry. T.S. Eliot's poetry triumphs over his human frailties. Hemingway has always bothered me, and Picasso can shove it. :)

Can't stand him. Glad someone sees that. I would like you to illustrate the reason/s behind your opinion.

Re:

Can't stand him. Glad someone sees that. I would like you to illustrate the reason/s behind your opinion.

I hate to be one of those people who visits the interwebs to complain. :rolleyes:

Let's just say that Hemingway has always rubbed me the wrong way; even though I appreciate his bold, stark, modern approach to literature, I am left utterly alienated by his prose. I should enjoy it, but I've always found his "voice" to be rather annoying.

The facts of Hemingway's life did not alter the way I felt about his prose, but (as in the case of Picasso), they do help clarify why I was never able to connect with his art.

Re:

I hate to be one of those people who visits the interwebs to complain. :rolleyes:

Let's just say that Hemingway has always rubbed me the wrong way; even though I appreciate his bold, stark, modern approach to literature, I am left utterly alienated by his prose. I should enjoy it, but I've always found his "voice" to be rather annoying.

The facts of Hemingway's life did not alter the way I felt about his prose, but (as in the case of Picasso), they do help clarify why I was never able to connect with his art.

I never appreciated his prose. I believe it to be deficient; deficient in elegance, poise, grace, and nuance. Yes his bleakness was intentional aesthetically, but to me it is soulless, empty and a smudge amoral. It's voiceless. I like how Morrissey can be direct without sacrificing his unique perspective. Two worlds apart, Hemingway and Morrissey's writing style.

Thanks for replying. Always nice to hear your perspective.

Last edited:

If it is perceived by the media then the answer is no. I found nothing untoward in Moz lyrics to be uncomfortable personally. His music is generally comforting actually. Very loving and warm.
If music or anything else makes us feel bad that's where their views count. Not because the media says it's this or that.

I don't hold anything against Coco Chanel or Hergé for affiliation with Nazis for example.

It's silly to me but 100 years ago people [might] have cared that Mark Twain was atheist thus his 100 year embargo. I try to respect artists different political and religious views. It matters not to me that Alicia Silverstone is also vegetarian but John Malkovich is not. He's still my favourite.
He made it on the Bush administration list of "approved" actors for being republican. :)

I think a band like Mayhem's Varg Vikernes on the other hand is beyond me. The black metal scene is linked with neo naziness because of him and some others.
I don't agree with Vikernes and his ilks views [not that I'd understand the lyrics] and only heard of Mayhem in Harmony Korine films.
I'm not into metal though so it might be unfair to say it's just the views behind those sort of bands. Apparently they aren't all into that stuff anyway.

I'm not going to watch any more D.W Griffiths films though. Technically he might have done a lot for film but his films were racist. It's hard to watch.

If you are into lyrics then the hate can shine through if its there and make you uncomfortable.
I'm not going to care what an actor does more than a musician if they didn't write the scripts. It's our own choice.
A lot of people avoid Mel Gibson films because of his views.

Though it might have been wrong morally for Britney Spears not to tell her fans some of her concerts raised money for Cain.

Back
Top Bottom