Robert Smith to Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: ‘Jason Cooper is The Cure’s drummer… bah!

The Seeker of Good Songs

thecure.jpg

If Robert Smith’s happy about The Cure’s nomination to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, he’s not showing it — instead, he’s taken to his website to slam the organization for not mentioning the band’s current drummer in its bio of the group, writing, “Jason Cooper is The Cure’s drummer — and it sickens me that he doesn’t get a name check… bah!”
As Chain of Flowers points out, Smith posted the comment — in trademark all-caps — in the comment thread following The Cure’s announcement Tuesday that the band will reprise its “Reflections” concerts, performing 1979’s Three Imaginary Boys, 1980’s Seventeen Seconds and 1981’s Faith in London, New York and Los Angeles this November.
Specifically, he’s taken issue with the rock hall’s bio, which, while mentioning two keyboardists (Lol Tolhurst and Roger O’Donnell), only mentions drummer Boris Williams, who played with the band from 1984 to 1993, despite the fact that Cooper now has drummed with the band for 17 years.
Smith’s full comment:
BORIS WILLIAMS, LOL TOLHURST AND JASON COOPER HAVE EACH BEEN THE CURE’S DRUMMER ON FOUR ALBUMS… BORIS WILLIAMS WAS IN THE BAND FOR 9 YEARS AND LOL TOLHURST FOR 11 YEARS (5 YEARS AS DRUMMER)… BUT JASON COOPER HAS BEEN DRUMMING WITH THE CURE FOR 17 YEARS, FROM 1994 TO THE PRESENT DAY… JASON COOPER IS THE CURE’S DRUMMER – AND IT SICKENS ME THAT HE DOESNT GET A NAME CHECK… BAH! RSX
Smith also dropped another bit of news in the comments, writing that the planned DVD of the “Reflections” concerts at the Sydney Opera House earlier this year “is ongoing,” but that, “I suspect Live in Paris 2008 may beat it out,” apparently a reference to a film of The Cure’s March 12, 2008, concert at the Palais Omnisport de Paris-Bercy.

from: http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2011/09/28/robert-smith-cure-drummer-jason-cooper/

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom