Jonathan Ross name drops Morrissey in Guardian interview

I always read Saturday's Guardian on a Sunday morning, and just come across the interview with Jonathan Ross in the Weekend Magazine. At the end there is a mention of Morrissey - no real news I'm afraid, just a name drop:

How would he feel if the new show bombed? He says it won't because there's an audience out there for him, and he's too good to let that happen. "Would you like me to drop another name for you here? I went for dinner with Morrissey after the BBC show and…" Meanwhile, the photographer is desperately trying to get his attention. "Let me just finish what I was saying about the Morrissey thing because this is interesting. You'll like this. He was talking about me leaving the BBC and was surprised at the way the press had reacted, and I said, in actual fact, I feel really grateful for what happened because I'm coming up to 50, done that show for 10 years, there wasn't really anything new I could do with it. But what it made me realise was there will be a time fairly soon when my services doing this kind of television are not required. It's inevitable. It happens to all of us. There comes a time when you're no longer considered the right kind of person to be doing that type of programme and there will be a time when you need to remove yourself completely from television." He looks at the photographer. "Let me finish this while I'm on a roll. So it's like coming to terms with retirement, but with the joyful feeling that you're not actually retiring, you're doing it elsewhere, but you've dealt with the reality of it. And this is what has given me a spur to do so much else."​

Last edited by a moderator:
Very well stated. Something about having an obviously unmedicated schizophrenic (she has said as much many times) being constantly enabled is one of the creepier aspects of this site. The only good thing about the openness of her weird religious stalking is the fact that it makes her easy to spot and to be kept a safe distance away from Morrissey in real life. It's no surprise that her little group of supporters here is comprised mostly of the ugliest trolls on the site. Her behavior could only be tolerated in such an atmosphere of negativity.

I am not a threat to Morrissey. I do not stalk him nor have the resources to even be near him. I simply have ideas that are unconventional. Do not create drama or issue where there is none, that is the work of ugly trolls.

So what? I was there first and he walked in with his entourage as I was leaving. I didn't demand a photo or that he sign anything, I didn't approach his table, I didn't ask him to sing karaoke at my wedding reception, I didn't touch him. I asked him a question and he was on his way. If it happened again you'd probably find me hiding in the bathroom, what being "rejected in every possible way" that I am, i'm shy about the whole thing now. I am not a threat to him.

Very well stated. Something about having an obviously unmedicated schizophrenic (she has said as much many times) being constantly enabled is one of the creepier aspects of this site. The only good thing about the openness of her weird religious stalking is the fact that it makes her easy to spot and to be kept a safe distance away from Morrissey in real life. It's no surprise that her little group of supporters here is comprised mostly of the ugliest trolls on the site. Her behavior could only be tolerated in such an atmosphere of negativity.

you really are a nasty little prick aren't you?

...and on a site essentially devoted to hurting him.

...and on a site essentially devoted to hurting him.

So by this rationale we can assume that if every thought that escaped your brain were analyzed on a scale of intelligence that your existence is devoted to being moronic?

Those you mentioned who are banned have clearly violated rules on the site and know they have.

I need to correct a factual inaccuracy (or outright lie?) from DavidT.

I was banned for a year for the "clear violation" (?) of having clicked to report 3 (or 4) instances of trolling to the mods in one day. I did so because one of the mods PMed me that day telling me to do exactly that.

Like so many others, my ACTUAL violation was angering Kewpie and her friend... and not checking my PMs in time to see Kewpie's PM where she became unhinged and threatened to ban me if I submitted one more report.

DavidT, UncleSkinny and other mods were aware and apparently agreed this was a reasonable way to moderate a web forum. You know, because that's the way Solow protects open freedom of speech and blah blah blah.

I'm impressed with the mental gymnastics it takes you to defend the increasingly bizarre and unbalanced way your site is moderated. The anonymous person makes a very valid point.

But do whatever you want with your unpleasant site. I'm one of a growing number of former users of your site who stopped coming here entirely because your site just isn't worth it any more.

You and your mods are entitled to run Solow as irrationally as you want, turning a blind eye as your personal friends act like dicks and trolls for years, then handing out year-long bans to other users for nothing, just because you had a bad day. It's your right to allow your friends to be as obnoxious as they want on Solow, while requiring other users to take care not to accidentally offend the mods or their friends.

But please. Calling it freedom of speech? You aren't fooling anyone with that. Man up and call it what it really is: favoritism and nepotism.

jamescagney

... And when Morrissey exercises his "freedom of speech" to wear "Fvck Solow" T-shirts, and when he "moderates" his shows like you "moderate" your web site, by banning you for life for the "violation" of simply having angered one of the "mods," well, perhaps you brought it upon yourself by the unpleasant way you've been moderating Solow. Many have complained, but you aren't hearing it.

I was banned for a year for the "clear violation" (?) of having clicked to report 3 (or 4) instances of trolling to the mods in one day. I did so because one of the mods PMed me that day telling me to do exactly that.

Like so many others, my ACTUAL violation was angering Kewpie and her friend... and not checking my PMs in time to see Kewpie's PM where she became unhinged and threatened to ban me if I submitted one more report.

DavidT, UncleSkinny and other mods were aware and apparently agreed this was a reasonable way to moderate a web forum. You know, because that's the way Solow protects open freedom of speech and blah blah blah.

I'm impressed with the mental gymnastics it takes you to defend the increasingly bizarre and unbalanced way your site is moderated. The anonymous person makes a very valid point.

But do whatever you want with your unpleasant site. I'm one of a growing number of former users of your site who stopped coming here entirely because your site just isn't worth it any more.

You and your mods are entitled to run Solow as irrationally as you want, turning a blind eye as your personal friends act like dicks and trolls for years, then handing out year-long bans to other users for nothing, just because you had a bad day. It's your right to allow your friends to be as obnoxious as they want on Solow, while requiring other users to take care not to accidentally offend the mods or their friends.

But please. Calling it freedom of speech? You aren't fooling anyone with that. Man up and call it what it really is: favoritism and nepotism.

jamescagney

It's probably not worth anything but I enjoyed your contribution james.

jamescagney

I hear you, James Cagney. Have not been a very prolific poster here but have lurked here for years and have observed the following: certain users post profane, ugly, bullying posts towards Morrissey or other users and they get banned; or: certain users post profane, ugly, bullying posts towards Morrissey or other users and they get named kings of the castle. Unequal pay for equal work. Most know who i'm speaking of. Freedom of speech my f***ing ass!!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom