Help me settle a bet I have with my fiance over which Morrissey video is better.

For your interest

You should add a poll to this thread.

Click Thread Tools ---> click add a poll.

My vote goes to November.

Last edited:
Re: For your interest

No need to add a poll.

Ouija Board, Ouija Board is a comic masterpiece, November Spawned A Monster is our Moz pissing around in the desert.

No contest!

I actually did submit it for a poll. I am not sure whom the powers that be are, but am hoping it gets approved. I need more votes. One for each so far. And yes Ouija Board is a comic masterpiece.

Tim Az

Re:

I actually did submit it for a poll. I am not sure whom the powers that be are, but am hoping it gets approved. I need more votes. One for each so far. And yes Ouija Board is a comic masterpiece.

Tim Az

Mainpage poll has been removed due to software issue.

Possibly the site administrator does not approve the intention behind your poll.
If you like to have a poll, post a poll thread in the forum, thank you very much.

I vote November. Somehow transcends its slight ridiculousness into something more. Whereas Ouija Board is just silly.

Both are horrible, but November is corny as hell. Beavis and Butthead say it all:

tumblr_lfwierdsXt1qcxtqo.gif

Ouija Board is ridiculously trite. I loved it when I was 16, but that's about it.

November is definitely not one of my favourites either.

Horrible? I think not, but you are correct. The My Love Life video is awesome. Filmed in my home city during the Kill Uncle tour in 1991.

November Spawned a Monster-hands down!

Re: Help me settle a bet I have with my fiance over which Morrissey video is better.
My favourite is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38x5GYAS6xY

Just so we are all clear. We are not debating which song is best, but simply which of the two videos is stronger. November Spawned A Monster, or Ouija Board, Ouija Board. I like your link to Speedway. Which is easily in my top 5 Morrissey songs of all time, but not what the question is about.

Tim Az

For me it has to be "November Spawned A Monster". It's not that I find it fun to watch-- I don't, I usually think it's ghastly-- but what's massively appealing about the video, at least on a conceptual level, is that Morrissey deliberately placed himself in an environment which was 180 degrees opposed to nearly every other environment used in pop music videos. The obvious contrast is the desert versus-- well, whatever, a club, a concert stage in a studio with fireworks, ice machines, and Marshall stacks, weird CGI-scapes, city streets, shopping malls, sit-com sets, and God knows what else. But the more important point of contrast is that in the desert Morrissey is totally devoid of elements which lesser pop stars use to mask their own crapulence: costumes, props, other actors or bandmates, and most of all those awful background dancers. Even the editing, which is so artfully used by video directors to mask the deficiencies of the artists, doesn't really hide anything. Every shot is Morrissey, completely exposed, utterly and often comically nothing more than his own twisting dancing painfully awkward himself. Lady Gaga wouldn't have the guts (though she may have the balls).

In fact you can contrast "November" with "Ouija Board" on that very level: the latter is very much a traditional pop music video in the way it's constructed, and Morrissey gets to "hide", as it were, behind the props and stage-setting, the editing and the dramatic story. In "November" he is alone, beautifully alone, and to me this makes it one of the most honest videos ever made. Yes, I know there are lots of cinematic tricks used to give the piece color and interest-- the video would have been truly perfect had it been done in one uninterrupted take using a single camera on a tripod-- but basically it's as raw and real as you'll ever get in a narrative pop video.

Last edited:
For me it has to be "November Spawned A Monster"... Every shot is Morrissey, completely exposed, utterly and often comically nothing more than his own twisting dancing painfully awkward himself.

^^This^^

Both videos displayed Morrissey's physical attractiveness. November shows Moz acting out the drama of his lyrics (somewhat) without going too far. He also gets to be silly with a Hershey bar and an apple and Band-Aid.

That quiff never looked better than in the November video, either. ;)

november for simply being so bizarre

Back
Top Bottom