Could the media blame Morrissey for the London Riots?

Winston Smith writes:

Some will try, but this is actually a rather good article by Michael Deacon in the Daily Torygraph:

So why did no one riot after listening to Morrissey?
Hip-hop is not to blame for the riots, music has long had violent lyrics.

So why did no one riot after listening to Morrissey? - by Michael Deacon, The Daily Telegraph
Hip-hop is not to blame for the riots, music has long had violent lyrics.

Last edited:
Winston, can you read? The article tries to disprove the theory that a hip hop music with its well versed themes incited a generation to riot. The author does this by showing a lack of correlation between music and youth action, giving Morrissey's and Brett Anderson's lyrics as examples. Instead he posits that it is society's fear of muscular black men that stem the accusation.

No one, neither the author or anyone he submits, is even coming close to appropriating blame on Morrissey here.

Nevertheless Morrissey is said to be one of the "most influencial musicians" in the UK. If his lyrics have no effect, then how can he be influencial?

Winston, can you read? The article tries to disprove the theory that a hip hop music with its well versed themes incited a generation to riot. The author does this by showing a lack of correlation between music and youth action, giving Morrissey's and Brett Anderson's lyrics as examples. Instead he posits that it is society's fear of muscular black men that stem the accusation.

No one, neither the author or anyone he submits, is even coming close to appropriating blame on Morrissey here.

Thank you, Anonymous; I can read. I don't know where you got the impression that anyone needed you to explain what the article was about. If you are referring to the subject heading, it was to draw people in. And you were drawn in.

Thank you, Anonymous; I can read. I don't know where you got the impression that anyone needed you to explain what the article was about. If you are referring to the subject heading, it was to draw people in. And you were drawn in.

Ah, that old News International trick of misleading headlines. I see. I got the impression that comprehension was not your strongest point based on your silly remarks. Go figure.

For a dissection of the values driving the disturbances, an article by Gordon Lynch is helpful -
Despite the low numbers of people involved in the recent riots (a tiny fraction of the population), the disorder does appear to have crystallised a wider sense of unease in British society. The resulting discussion of ‘values’ has the potential to make us reassess certain aspects of social life to which we may have become oblivious or resigned.

What is particularly striking in this debate, however, is the unquestioned assumption of what these ‘values’ are or how they work in practice. This assumption is not limited to politicians or commentators: social scientists often use the term ‘values’ without any clear theoretical underpinning, or equate people’s values with survey responses given when asked hypothetical questions about moral issues. Without some clarity about the nature of ‘values’, though, we cannot hope to formulate a satisfactory response to any moral malaise that ails our nation...
-
http://www.opendemocracy.net/ourkin..._campaign=Feed:+opendemocracy+(openDemocracy)

For a dissection of the values driving the disturbances, an article by Gordon Lynch is helpful -
-
http://www.opendemocracy.net/ourkin..._campaign=Feed:+opendemocracy+(openDemocracy)

Or as I wrote in a comment to a German newspaper, you can see the destruction that rioters did, but you cannot see the destructions done by others like politicians and civil servants. In European societies nowadays people pay thieves with their tax money so that they give away the societies' gold and silver and treat their children badly and these thieves are even pride themselves in public and call themselves "performers".

Goinghome, you bore me to death as well as the majority of sickos on this website who cannot look beyond the next Morrissey concert ticket.

Are these the values and manners that you little Irish nationalist creep were talking about earlier?

[youtube]msFljrJ7M4A&feature=related[/youtube]

Problem is, I'm bored already, so I'll let you snipe away on your own.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom