What are the odds? Will Moz get a new record deal?

Peanut1971

I am Not Naturally Evil
Hmmm, I'm a bit worried. The record industry is in absolute crisis, barely surviving. I think Morrissey is after a well-established "big" label; he has made it very clear he is not interested in internet-only/ downloadable stuff. I can fully understand his view; he wants to have a "physical" album/CD with artwork, a few singles and a bit of promotion. Just like the old times. I don't blame him for that.

Not looking too good for Morrissey though. I was thinking about "Domino" label....?

I would love at least one more WELL PRODUCED Morrissey album before he chooses to call it a day. YOR had some excellent songs but the production just didn't sound right.

Views?

I don't really know about the UK record industry but I feel like at least stateside Morrissey would probably be able to find a solid mid-sized label that would be willing to give him to sort of contract that he wants.

Domino would be nice. I think he said something about Universal showing some interest? Anyway, I imagine he'll find something, somewhere and it should be really rather good. :)

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with the production on YOR but each to their own.

However, I doubt he'll ever get back into the singles charts - regardless of how excellent the song is. Not his fault, not one bit. Listening to the charts today is like listening to one song on repeat 40 times. And an exceptionally shit one at that.

I also think signing to Domino would be a great option. In fact I have had exactly the same thought for a couple of weeks. They have got a reputation of signing stuff they really like/love. Some of the acts they signed obviously love The Smiths and Morrissey and were influenced by him/them. They also seem to be more patient with their acts which might be essential to sign some act like Morrissey.

However I'm not sure Morrissey would consider it. I think he loves to be signed to a major label with much more history. As you stated it seems highly unlikely he will such a label. I'm also 110 % sure he will not consider new songs on his own through the internet. And finally I'm not so sure he is that desparate to release another album given the fact that he is keen to get his biography published next year. It could be his final work.

Domino would be nice. I think he said something about Universal showing some interest? Anyway, I imagine he'll find something, somewhere and it should be really rather good. :)

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with the production on YOR but each to their own.

However, I doubt he'll ever get back into the singles charts - regardless of how excellent the song is. Not his fault, not one bit. Listening to the charts today is like listening to one song on repeat 40 times. And an exceptionally shit one at that.

The singles charts is a DEAD concept; and has been for a long time. Chart music is so disposable these days.....don't get me started! I really really hope he gets the deal he wants - somehow, somewhere. Cant wait for a new album!!

I think his chances are better in the States.
Didn't a lot of indie labels get burned down in the UK?

I think his chances are better in the States.
Didn't a lot of indie labels get burned down in the UK?

No. Furniture and Carpet stores mainly. And the Sony distribution warehouse which held lots of stock for various indie labels as well as others. Thats what you are probably thinking about.

I had never heard of Lost Highway records but I think promotionally they did a pretty good job here in the States. Every record store I went to was fully stocked of YOR and had the Paris 7 Inch single giveaway plus posters in the window etc.

He is stilll listed on their site. I wonder if there is an agreement in place to be his distributor once he sorts out a UK label?
http://www.losthighwayrecords.com/artist/default.aspx?aid=260

So the "revelation" of not wanting or needing a deal that he apparently said at the London gig.. Was that just him talking out of his arse and means nothing. Or could he be waking up to the fact it is 2011 and maybe he will try and get something out independently online or something? Surely someone somewhere would have spoken to him about that possibility at some point.

So the "revelation" of not wanting or needing a deal that he apparently said at the London gig.. Was that just him talking out of his arse and means nothing. Or could he be waking up to the fact it is 2011 and maybe he will try and get something out independently online or something? Surely someone somewhere would have spoken to him about that possibility at some point.

Hell will freeze over before Moz self publishes. For him, to do such a thing would be akin to complete surrender and admission of defeat. Its just the way he rolls. . . . .Sorry. was that Satan buying shares in winter coats? Nah...

Cutting out the middle man would surely gain him more cash doing it himself. I can't see him gaining enough new fans to warrant going to a major label with a push anyways. Word would be out on it's own in the music press and such.. You'd think without a label taking it's share that the process of Moz getting more money would appeal to him. Also less chance of a leak too.

Money? Have you listened to 'You Know I Couldn't Last'? Give it a listen while you wash your mouth out with soap. Then come back here with a carpet beater and I will administer restitutional justice. Dear oh dear.

What? You don't think if he went it alone by putting the music out himself an getting the proceeds that he wouldn't still stand to make a substantial amount of money?

To quoteth - 'There's a cash register ringing and / It weighs so heavy on my back, someone please take me home...' Do you see Pokey? He isn't in it for the money. Oh and only seals perform. For their dinners.

To quoteth - 'There's a cash register ringing and / It weighs so heavy on my back, someone please take me home...' Do you see Pokey? He isn't in it for the money. Oh and only seals perform. For their dinners.

You think Morrissey doesn't enjoy being filthy rich..?

I'm pretty sure he's happy making as much money as possible from his work. Doesn't mean he's purely in it for money alone, but it's a big upside to what he does. It's a simple modern solution to his problems, he could organize to have it sold directly online.
Anyways I'm not stating this as fact or anything I was offering a possibility based on his comments at the London gig. If he's "had a change of heart" and genuinely means that then why would this not be one of the possible reasons? No need to get so defensive over him. I wasn't exactly calling him a money obsessed greed bag. But he has his audience now and this is a good way to just be able to get his work out there.

Also no idea where you're going with the seals performing comment other than quoting him on some irrelevant to this..

Last edited:

Have you seen how much his shirts and suits cost, not to mention the 5* luxury he enjoys every night of a tour? I'm not saying that money has made Morrissey happy ('the squalor of the mind', anyone?), but to say that he doesn't get some pleasure from living like a King is absurd. The man wanted to be rich and famous from the moment he could speak.

Back
Top Bottom