Rank vs. the "Thank Your Lucky Stars" bootleg

Not to be difficult but I think there is a better snapshot out there of the Smiths at there best. It is going to sound like I am kissing ass but I think that one of the mods uploaded it. Bored? Peter?

Anyway... that show was the 25 of September 1985 - Barrowlands, Glasgow Scotland...

I think the quality is even better than Thank Your Lucky Stars. It even has the Marie is her Name / Ruffians medley. There is a lot of banter with the crowd and the show opens with a Shakespeare's Sister and ends with a killer Miserable Lie

I love the 'Thank your Lucky Stars' bootleg, its a great listen (setlist + quality wise)

still has me in stitches every time during I Know Its Over when Moz diverts his attention from the actual words to shouting at the security for being to heavy handed. You can sense how angry he is, but he refrains from swearing :') . I'd love to see what was going down to make him so mad. Oh and the American girl who says 'Oh my God' very loudly at the start of the song makes it all the more amazing IMO

There's something about the sound on the TYLS bootleg that annoys me. I don't think its a soundboard but a very very good audience recording.

RANK would be awesome if they would've released the WHOLE show.....leaving out HSIN is criminal. I still listened to that CD every day for like EVER when it was released. "England is mine!!!...and it owes me a living"......listen as Morrissey thumps his chest with his hand and it makes his voice quiver.....ever notice that?!?!?!

As you know, I don't think Morrissey is a very good live performer musically-speaking. I've got both these releases - but their value is folkloric more than musical. Audience interaction and changes to the musical arrangements (like Johnny's guitar solos on HSIN? lend some interest, but - whether you blame it on all that flailing around he used to do onstage or just on lack of technique - the fact is Mozza's vocals are painfully "off", for large stretches of both shows. And there are of course far worse Smiths performances out there in bootleg land.

Back
Top Bottom