Morrissey: Norway massacre is "nothing" compared to the actions of fast food chains

Once again he shoots himself in the foot.

Morrissey: 'Norway Attacks Nothing Compared To Actions Of Fast Good Giants' - Gigwise
He claims...

Morrissey has courted criticism after he reportedly compared the actions of fast food companies to the recent attacks in Norway.

At least 76 people died last week in two separate attacks which were both orchestrated by far-right extremist Anders Behring Breivik.

Morrissey, a staunch vegetarian, made reference the massacre during a performance in at Stodola Club in Warsaw, Poland earlier this week, according to the Daily Mirror.

Before playing The Smiths' song 'Meat is Murder', he is quoted as saying: “We all live in a murderous world, as the events in Norway have shown, with 97 dead.

“Though that is nothing compared to what happens in McDonald’s and Kentucky Fried Sh*t every day.”

Video footage of Morrissey performing the song has been published on YouTube, but it omits his alleged introduction.

Morrissey's comment is the latest in a string of outbursts in recent months, many of which have focussed on animal welfare.

Link from Tingle3:

Morrissey says Norway massacre is "nothing" compared to the actions of fast food chains - Daily Mirror
by Ashleigh Rainbird

MORRISSEY has sparked outrage after saying the tragedy in Norway was “nothing” compared to the actions of fast food chains.

The controversial singer, 52, made his remark while on stage at a gig in Warsaw on Sunday night.

Before launching into his hit Meat is Murder, the outspoken vegetarian made reference to the horrific events last Friday.

Referring to the death toll as thought at the time he said: “We all live in a murderous world, as the events in Norway have shown, with 97 dead. Though that is nothing compared to what happens in McDonald’s and Kentucky Fried S*** every day.”

Two nights earlier the singer introduced the same song with another lambasting of the brands.

Gig-goers took to his fan sites to condemn the his outburst. One wrote: “The killing of children compared to KFC & McDonald’s?!!! What an ass****!”

Another wrote: “I really don’t know if that is *forgivable? Or of any use to the vegetarian cause?”

A spokesman said last night: “Morrissey has decided not to comment any further as he believes his statement speaks for itself.”

Update 10/18/2011:

Sistasheila posted the link to the video and actual words spoken during the concert:

"Despite the love, we do live on a murderous planet,
as you will have seen over the last few days in Norway.
Murder murder murder.
But really, every single day, worse things happen in KFC and McDonalds.
Murder, murder, murder, murder, murder..."

Link from inourbritches:
Morrissey: 'McDonald's, KFC worse than Norway massacre' - Digital Spy

Also, links posted by anonymous persons in the Warsaw post-show:
Meat biz worse than Norway: Morrissey - LFPress / Wenn.com
Morrissey lekceważąco o norweskiej tragedii - Interia.pl
Morrissey: – Massakren i Norge er ingenting mot massakren på Mc Donald's hver dag - tv2.no

80s Icon in Hot Water, a Facebook Status Leads To an Arrest, and a Whale Thanks its Rescuers in a Touching Way - Yahoo! News blog. Link from Desert Bee.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are completely right. People just see what they want to see. Mass murder of animals aint part of that.

I'll think of Morrissey every time I eat a BigMac from now on. And just for kicks, I'll increase my consumptio0n of meat, starting today. Yey!!!!

He is right, tho his use of the word "nothing" is not. We rightly feel outraged by taking of life in Norway but most people seem unmoved by the millions of animals suffering every day. Why is one human life worth so much more than thousands of animal lives? Please -start caring for all creatures, human and animal. Only then will we all find some peace.

Re: Article: Morrissey: Norway massacre is "nothing" compared to the actions of fast

But this time he's right! I absolutely despise what happens daily at the KFC and Mac Donalds.

He is not right!!!
How on earth can anyone agree with someone who compares these totally different things? The tragedy in Norway is a crime committed by a madman against defenseless kids and innocent people! Is being a vegetarian equal with being both heartless and stupid these days, or is Morrissey in a world of his own? Feed him to the cows...

Why Morrisey? Where is your heart? Frozen to ice or turned into stone? Goodbye - I'm done with you.

Re: Article: Morrissey: Norway massacre is "nothing" compared to the actions of fast

Well, if we were being honest, we'd have to say that he neither respects nor disrespects my views, because he never has, or never will read a single one of my posts and even if he did, he would have no idea who I am, nor any desire to ever know me. The fact that this is true for yourself and 99.9% of the people on this site may be hard for you to accept, but please try. That's the nature of being a fan. Morrissey owes us nothing; the fact that he's a talented songwriter and got to share that gift with us, improving some of our lives beyond measure, is a bonus. However that doesn't make him god, ergo we can disagree with him; he's just a human being that a lot of people admire and like every human being, he gets some things wrong.

First off, I am the original "Ironically..." poster.

I think you may have missed my point. I wasn't meaning that he wouldn't respect *you* personally but in a general sense, he doesn't respect anyone at all, no matter who they tend to be (outside his little private domain of friends, possibly family and sycophants who work for him).

I honestly do not think he respects anyone who has a dissenting opinion on something that goes against what he thinks.

I feel that's one of Moz's problems. His lack of social acuity. If you disagree with the almighty Morrissey...he Hates you for it....and that means Everyone.

It's his way or the highway and more often than not, he's on the wrong end of the opinion.

Mr Morrissey,

Don't ever come to Norway again. If you do, we will turn you into a sausage.

Poor Moz. A 10 yrs old kid would be able to understand the life of human being is more important than the life of a chicken.

A 10 year old Judeo-Christian child would feel that way. A 10 year old Hindu or Jain child might agree with Morrissey that every life is equally important. In that case, the ongoing daily slaughter of millions of living beings IS horrific, and worse than a single tragic incident of loss of life. It's a matter of perspective and culture. You can disagree and say that human life is more important, but that is not a universally held truth.

In other news, solow gave reporters the lovely derogatory quotes they were looking for to make Morrissey look bad - dissed even by his own fans. If only the readers knew those same comments are made when Moz wears the wrong shirt or sings a song someone doesn't like.

He disgusts me, pathetic moron. He should do us all a favour and shut up. Don´t come to Norway ever again, asshole.

Morrissey. Im going to eat MORE meat from now on and dedicate every f***ing bite to you. AND throw BBQ-parties for my friends, family and even total strangers 24/7.

You stupid dumb f***....... I hope u crash your car and burn to death.

Morrissey. Im going to eat MORE meat from now on and dedicate every f***ing bite to you. AND throw BBQ-parties for my friends, family and even total strangers 24/7.

At least it'll keep you away from here.

I have eaten meat my entire life and will continue to do so.....always.

Morrissey fails to realize that as he pontificates against meat, he is doing a bang up job in encouraging people to continue to eat meat.

I freely admit there's a sense about all this stuff that makes me want to eat more meat that I already do.

He has a better chance at getting people to quit by shutting up than by being his usual sanctimonious/boorish self.

I hope a some crazy f*** kill your fam and friends and we can see if you will still say the same. If you ever come back to Norway you will return in a bodybag.

I hope a some crazy f*** kill your fam and friends and we can see if you will still say the same. If you ever come back to Norway you will return in a bodybag.

And this kind of statement makes you better than what you perceive Morrissey to be how?

This Will not make me stop listening to Morrissey. Period. Not a chance! And i will not trash My records. No f***ing way!

As a kid I visited Oslo a few times with my dad as we visited Emmy who was a friend of dad. She was a close friend of the old norwegian king Olav. Her home included a framed portrait of the king which was given to her as a xmas present. Dad wanted me to see the famous sporting sites of Oslo like Bislett and Holmenkollen. I was so excited to be able to skate at the famous Bislett where all the famous skaters competed that I had seen on tv. We were all alone and the place was open with perfect skating ice and for me as a kid it was a truly magic moment.
Dad was also determined that I learned about the past and the war and the nazi occupation of Norway. We visited Akershus Castle where the famous norwegian nazi and traitor Vidkun Quisling was executed. Dad had told me that where he fell the grass do not grow and that Vidkun had made this statement before being shot that the grass where he fell would never grow again. I remember not believing what dad told me and first we walked through the museum at Akershus portraying what happened during the war. We then walked out to the spot where Quisling and others were executed and just like dad told me the grass clearly showed the shape of a human body as if the grass there had been burnt or died when the surrounding grass was intact. It looked like the markings made after police have marked the spot around a dead body.
To this day I still feel this is perhaps the weirdest ecperience I have had and despite of the internet and all that there is nothing said about this anywhere. From recent photos it seems as if they have now placed stone pavings on the spot where these people were executed. I know what I saw but still feel that the whole thing is unexplainable.
Having met so many norwegians during travels to England I feel I know them a bit. They always struck me as being a bit tired of their own country and the way its being run. It is as if they feel like like the children of Norway despite not being children anymore, as if they cannot be trusted and must be kept away from the modern world and isolated and forced to be like everyone else. In this light the events in Norway somehow makes sense in a horrible way. A country that is so occupied with its own culture and traditions run by a government that has perhaps built the most complicated system of all have fallen out of touch with the modern world and its peoples expectations.
Norway prides itself on being an open society but in truth they never have been. As long as everyone agrees with the ones in power then all is fine. Many generations of angry norwegians have grown up and realised that their country is just a made up experiment of goodwill and peace and love when deep down it is a marxist country bathing in oil money. Oslo long ago gave up trying to deal with the drug situation and guest workers squeeze together in small flats with cockroaches being the norm and not something that should raise a few eyebrows in a country that is supposed to be well off and perfect.
The attacks were cowardly and completely mad but so is the system and the people that are behind it. Norway needs to grow up and realise that protecting its people from the world outside is impossible in this day and age. Norwegians on the most part have grown up and realised what the world is like but its leaders still live in an East German like bubble that finally burst on July 22. Anders Behring Breivik is no hero but he took on the role of a whistleblower and now the truth is out there. The only question is if Norway can handle the truth?

Urban

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom