Morrissey: Norway massacre is "nothing" compared to the actions of fast food chains

Once again he shoots himself in the foot.

Morrissey: 'Norway Attacks Nothing Compared To Actions Of Fast Good Giants' - Gigwise
He claims...

Morrissey has courted criticism after he reportedly compared the actions of fast food companies to the recent attacks in Norway.

At least 76 people died last week in two separate attacks which were both orchestrated by far-right extremist Anders Behring Breivik.

Morrissey, a staunch vegetarian, made reference the massacre during a performance in at Stodola Club in Warsaw, Poland earlier this week, according to the Daily Mirror.

Before playing The Smiths' song 'Meat is Murder', he is quoted as saying: “We all live in a murderous world, as the events in Norway have shown, with 97 dead.

“Though that is nothing compared to what happens in McDonald’s and Kentucky Fried Sh*t every day.”

Video footage of Morrissey performing the song has been published on YouTube, but it omits his alleged introduction.

Morrissey's comment is the latest in a string of outbursts in recent months, many of which have focussed on animal welfare.

Link from Tingle3:

Morrissey says Norway massacre is "nothing" compared to the actions of fast food chains - Daily Mirror
by Ashleigh Rainbird

MORRISSEY has sparked outrage after saying the tragedy in Norway was “nothing” compared to the actions of fast food chains.

The controversial singer, 52, made his remark while on stage at a gig in Warsaw on Sunday night.

Before launching into his hit Meat is Murder, the outspoken vegetarian made reference to the horrific events last Friday.

Referring to the death toll as thought at the time he said: “We all live in a murderous world, as the events in Norway have shown, with 97 dead. Though that is nothing compared to what happens in McDonald’s and Kentucky Fried S*** every day.”

Two nights earlier the singer introduced the same song with another lambasting of the brands.

Gig-goers took to his fan sites to condemn the his outburst. One wrote: “The killing of children compared to KFC & McDonald’s?!!! What an ass****!”

Another wrote: “I really don’t know if that is *forgivable? Or of any use to the vegetarian cause?”

A spokesman said last night: “Morrissey has decided not to comment any further as he believes his statement speaks for itself.”

Update 10/18/2011:

Sistasheila posted the link to the video and actual words spoken during the concert:

"Despite the love, we do live on a murderous planet,
as you will have seen over the last few days in Norway.
Murder murder murder.
But really, every single day, worse things happen in KFC and McDonalds.
Murder, murder, murder, murder, murder..."

Link from inourbritches:
Morrissey: 'McDonald's, KFC worse than Norway massacre' - Digital Spy

Also, links posted by anonymous persons in the Warsaw post-show:
Meat biz worse than Norway: Morrissey - LFPress / Wenn.com
Morrissey lekceważąco o norweskiej tragedii - Interia.pl
Morrissey: – Massakren i Norge er ingenting mot massakren på Mc Donald's hver dag - tv2.no

80s Icon in Hot Water, a Facebook Status Leads To an Arrest, and a Whale Thanks its Rescuers in a Touching Way - Yahoo! News blog. Link from Desert Bee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: Morrissey: Norway massacre is "nothing" compared to the actions of fast

Top of the food chain bitches! Id like to see him wrapped in bacon. Id tuck in right away, Im sure he would taste like shit.

So by your own words, you like eating shit.
Well I suppose it takes all sorts.

Re: Article: Morrissey: Norway massacre is "nothing" compared to the actions of fast

hey f*** face fancy a KFC YOU f***ING SAD LOSER

It's great to see that a university education is never wasted.

Whew!!! Now Morrissey can be let off off the hook. The Magic Number for being sensitive about human deaths is 78.

Animal deaths are, to most people, trivial unless it was a pet.

When my pets die I get sad and I miss them.
When chickens and cows die and become dinner I eat them.

I don't care what your meat eating agenda is. I have my own. If you agree or disagree with me I'm not phased either way.

You're not phased eh?
Is that phased as in carrying out something in gradual stages?
I think you might actually be fazed at your mistake.

Actually the number is 85. Show some respect.

Morrissey is a dumb ass f'ing singer. Who says that he represent even the most loyal fan? He's a jerk. Insensitive prick. I'm going to buy a chicken, slaughter it, baste it, pop it in the oven, then enjoy the flesh as I listen to Southpaw.

this comment, idont mind. it's ludicrous, yes, but it's in line with his eccentric but somewhat understandable beliefs. was it shocking? yes, but it was meant to be. Moz feels as though he needs to be shocking in order to wake people up to the mass murdering of animals that takes place everyday. do isubscribe to that view? no, animals are not on the same level as humans, plus theyre delicious. can irespect a vegetarian's point of view. yes, to a fair degree. he wasn't condoning the murders in Norway, he was just sayin that the numbers dead in those incidents are minuscule compared to the number of animals being slaughtered daily for fast food.

Morrissey is a dumb ass f'ing singer. Who says that he represent even the most loyal fan? He's a jerk. Insensitive prick. I'm going to buy a chicken, slaughter it, baste it, pop it in the oven, then enjoy the flesh as I listen to Southpaw.

Did I forget to say he's an asshole too. Prick hasn't made a decent album in years and he expects us to eat his bullshit. Comparing animal death to human death...I'm gonna kick my dog just in spite.

if one goes on youtube and searches vegans and philosophy, you will find WORSE comments than this, in fact. moz does love the milk and chocolate. he does not make me hate vegetarians or vegans; the self-righteous hipster vegans though, they are the most insufferable human beings i've ever met.

Get a bit of perspective here, a singer has said something you don't agree with. Use your right to reply and then go on with your lives.

On the other hand you can smash up your own backyard, throw away your possessions, gorge yourselves on meat, buy several McDonalds daily for the rest of your lives, yes that'll teach him!!! And there you all are calling on psychiatric help for HIM.

The voice of reason. Sadly wasted on this site, but still - nice try! :)

Ok seriously if we were not to kill any animals what would we do with all these chickens and cows hanging around?

Moz. You are loved, but if you truly believe in what you have said, then perhaps you should offer yourself to be shot up. This way you can experience the horror that these children were put through.

Maybe in return you'd like to be hung on a conveyor belt and have your neck cut, so you can experience the horror that animals are put through?

Oh good Lord. I can't believe that you all are so shocked by his statement in the first place.

He was not saying he didn't feel sympathy and pain for the victims, or their families. He simply stated, while starting the song Meat is Murder, that we live in a Murderous world. He used the slaughtering of animals as an example to what happened in Norway because the song is about innocent animals dying by the hands of murderous people. Consequently the very same thing happend in Norway - only it was innocent people dying by the hand of a murderer. However, thousands of animals die daily - horrible and brutal deaths. No one says a word. For some reason, it's just acceptable. But, why? That's what he meant by saying what he did about McDonalds and KFC.

I am very saddened by what happened in Norway. It's horrible and I don't think any of those people deserved to die. Of course not...

But on a GENERAL scale, I must say, there are times when I think I'd pick an animals life over a fellow human being. Simply because they're a horrible person and live without love in their heart. They impose pain for no good reason. Like, for instance, the maniac who killed all those people in Norway.

I lose faith in humanity every day. However, that doesn't mean that I wouldn't give my life to save another person.

What is wrong with loving people AND animals? It is increasingly difficult to trust people, or to believe anything anyone says. People stab you in the back, they'll save their own reputations and watch you drown - even when they know you're right. An animal, on the other hand, is faithful to you - if they're your pet. If they're not a pet, they're still innocent and need protection - just like children. An animal will learn to trust you; they won't stab you in the back, or talk you down to other people and then smile and tell you how much you mean to them.

That last part has NOTHING to do with the tragedy in Norway, by the way...I'm just throwing it out there as an example as to why some people care more for animals than they do other people.

But, getting back to what Morrissey said...I think, as always, this has been blown completely out of proportion. Morrissey is today the same person who wrote Suffer Little Children, Munich Air Disaster 1958, and just recently, Scandinavia. Those songs prove that Morrissey cares for people. He's a very political person, as well, and sometimes you have to say something shocking to get through to the masses. I don't think this was meant to come out the way it did. But, it did...and now all of this...

Lastly, all you people saying you're going to, "Burn his cd's and eat a cow"...you aren't helping matters, and frankly, some of your comments about wishing death to Morrissey's loved ones sound much worse than anything Morrissey said that night before launching into Meat is Murder.

Last edited:
There was a show on the '99 tour, I think it was one of the Forum shows in London, where I vividly remember Moz standing in the spotlight saying "slave trade - holocaust - meat industry" - he said it like three or four times over. A real goosebump moment that left a deep impression.

Animal rights is something that he is very passionate about, fair enough. To compare it to historic, murderous events brought upon people by people, fair enough. These events have a habit of touching us in a very detached way because they happened, but (usually) didn't affect us personally. But to use a recent event for getting his message across, something that is still an open bleeding wound to the world and especially the people of Norway - well that just makes him look like the average attention whore. And that's what really bugs me. I really thought he was more intelligent and sensitive than that.

It's becoming somewhat embarrassing to be a Morrissey fan. And a vegetarian.

The comments from people wishing for Morrissey and/or his loved ones to be shot remain on here. Is that the way things are around here now? There is no place for these comments, why are they not being removed?

Morrissey, you are a stupid man and if you really think this way, maybe you shouldn't be living in a civilized society. I mean, are you really saying that it is better to slaughter innocent young kids who would have had their whole lives ahead of them, than kill - in a decent and graceful way - animals to feed people? When has it been acceptable to kill human beings? Never, unless in war circumstances. When has it been acceptable to kill animals for food. Always.

Morrissey, I sincerely hope you don't have any kids. But if you do, I really hope you discuss with them your thoughts about killing people vs. killing animals, and especially in relation to the massacre in Norway. You might even say: "kids, what you learned from the news is ok. There were enough people in Norway anyways. That guy had every right to 'express his opinions' towards the government in that way. But, you know, the fast food chains are the devil. Their happy meals are made of poor innocent bovines and other animals who would have otherwise contributed to the well-being of us all if the bastards hadn't killed them and made hamburgers out of them." So I really hope you explain in detail your thoughts. That way your kids understand to get the hell way from you!!!

I once respected you for your music. But I don't anymore. You are not a respectful human being.

The day he puts something as obscenely ridiculous as this in a lyric or that thing he said about the Chinese is the day Morrissey has lost it. I can forgive him for saying these stupid things but if he starts singing them then...

Animal rights is something that he is very passionate about, fair enough. To compare it to historic, murderous events brought upon people by people, fair enough. These events have a habit of touching us in a very detached way because they happened, but (usually) didn't affect us personally. But to use a recent event for getting his message across, something that is still an open bleeding wound to the world and especially the people of Norway - well that just makes him look like the average attention whore. And that's what really bugs me.

Again - Morrissey didn't say this at a gig in Norway to an audience of bereaved relatives - he didn't say it at a press conference to go worlwide - he said it in front of a thousand or so people at a gig in Poland.

None of the people suddenly getting offended and saying they will be destroying their Morrissey albums were actually there. I was.

The manner in which Morrissey made the statement wasn't to be dismissive of the events in Norway, but in the way of saying "Here's one horriffic thing which has happenned - and here's another horrific thing, which no-one seems to care about."

Far from promting a mass walkout, cries of 'shame!' or even a shocked gasp from the crowd, the comment actually got a substantial round of applause.

It's only thanks to the shit-stirring nature of the denizens of this site (most of whom seem to be determined to destroy Morrissey's career at any cost) that this even made the news.

Morrissey has compared the meat industry to the holocaust and child abuse in the past. He has been singing a song comparing 'meat' with 'murder' for the past 26 years, and people somehow are shocked at this comment, or think it out of character, or just hype to get publicity? It's entirely IN character, and no different than the message he's been spreading for years. Why people are getting their knickers in a twist about it now is beyond me.

Again - Morrissey didn't say this at a gig in Norway to an audience of bereaved relatives - he didn't say it at a press conference to go worlwide - he said it in front of a thousand or so people at a gig in Poland.

None of the people suddenly getting offended and saying they will be destroying their Morrissey albums were actually there. I was.

The manner in which Morrissey made the statement wasn't to be dismissive of the events in Norway, but in the way of saying "Here's one horriffic thing which has happenned - and here's another horrific thing, which no-one seems to care about."

Far from promting a mass walkout, cries of 'shame!' or even a shocked gasp from the crowd, the comment actually got a substantial round of applause.

It's only thanks to the shit-stirring nature of the denizens of this site (most of whom seem to be determined to destroy Morrissey's career at any cost) that this even made the news.

Morrissey has compared the meat industry to the holocaust and child abuse in the past. He has been singing a song comparing 'meat' with 'murder' for the past 26 years, and people somehow are shocked at this comment, or think it out of character, or just hype to get publicity? It's entirely IN character, and no different than the message he's been spreading for years. Why people are getting their knickers in a twist about it now is beyond me.

Oh, I am relieved. He did not say this in Norway where people would care about other people getting massacred. Thank god he said this in Poland where people don't care - RIGHT??? The point, my dear poland friend, is not where the hell he said it. The problem is that he thinks this way. A massacre of tens of innocent kids is "nothing" compared to what Mickey D does and represents. Come on dude!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom