Morrissey: Norway massacre is "nothing" compared to the actions of fast food chains

Once again he shoots himself in the foot.

Morrissey: 'Norway Attacks Nothing Compared To Actions Of Fast Good Giants' - Gigwise
He claims...

Morrissey has courted criticism after he reportedly compared the actions of fast food companies to the recent attacks in Norway.

At least 76 people died last week in two separate attacks which were both orchestrated by far-right extremist Anders Behring Breivik.

Morrissey, a staunch vegetarian, made reference the massacre during a performance in at Stodola Club in Warsaw, Poland earlier this week, according to the Daily Mirror.

Before playing The Smiths' song 'Meat is Murder', he is quoted as saying: “We all live in a murderous world, as the events in Norway have shown, with 97 dead.

“Though that is nothing compared to what happens in McDonald’s and Kentucky Fried Sh*t every day.”

Video footage of Morrissey performing the song has been published on YouTube, but it omits his alleged introduction.

Morrissey's comment is the latest in a string of outbursts in recent months, many of which have focussed on animal welfare.

Link from Tingle3:

Morrissey says Norway massacre is "nothing" compared to the actions of fast food chains - Daily Mirror
by Ashleigh Rainbird

MORRISSEY has sparked outrage after saying the tragedy in Norway was “nothing” compared to the actions of fast food chains.

The controversial singer, 52, made his remark while on stage at a gig in Warsaw on Sunday night.

Before launching into his hit Meat is Murder, the outspoken vegetarian made reference to the horrific events last Friday.

Referring to the death toll as thought at the time he said: “We all live in a murderous world, as the events in Norway have shown, with 97 dead. Though that is nothing compared to what happens in McDonald’s and Kentucky Fried S*** every day.”

Two nights earlier the singer introduced the same song with another lambasting of the brands.

Gig-goers took to his fan sites to condemn the his outburst. One wrote: “The killing of children compared to KFC & McDonald’s?!!! What an ass****!”

Another wrote: “I really don’t know if that is *forgivable? Or of any use to the vegetarian cause?”

A spokesman said last night: “Morrissey has decided not to comment any further as he believes his statement speaks for itself.”

Update 10/18/2011:

Sistasheila posted the link to the video and actual words spoken during the concert:

"Despite the love, we do live on a murderous planet,
as you will have seen over the last few days in Norway.
Murder murder murder.
But really, every single day, worse things happen in KFC and McDonalds.
Murder, murder, murder, murder, murder..."

Link from inourbritches:
Morrissey: 'McDonald's, KFC worse than Norway massacre' - Digital Spy

Also, links posted by anonymous persons in the Warsaw post-show:
Meat biz worse than Norway: Morrissey - LFPress / Wenn.com
Morrissey lekceważąco o norweskiej tragedii - Interia.pl
Morrissey: – Massakren i Norge er ingenting mot massakren på Mc Donald's hver dag - tv2.no

80s Icon in Hot Water, a Facebook Status Leads To an Arrest, and a Whale Thanks its Rescuers in a Touching Way - Yahoo! News blog. Link from Desert Bee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: Morrissey: Norway massacre is "nothing" compared to the actions of fast

Whew!!! Now Morrissey can be let off off the hook. The Magic Number for being sensitive about human deaths is 78.

Animal deaths are, to most people, trivial unless it was a pet.

When my pets die I get sad and I miss them.
When chickens and cows die and become dinner I eat them.

I don't care what your meat eating agenda is. I have my own. If you agree or disagree with me I'm not phased either way.

I was simply correcting what someone else said, don't overreact or judge me.

Aye right fine, believe that, where did I say you weren't allowed to?

Re: Article: Morrissey: Norway massacre is "nothing" compared to the actions of fast

I was simply correcting what someone else said, don't overreact or judge me.

Aye right fine, believe that, where did I say you weren't allowed to?

I wasn't judging you. I just thought the comment that the death toll being lowered was somehow implying that it made the statement any less stupid.

The rest of the post was really a reflection of the sentiment in this thread about being vegetarian. I apologize for implying that the rest of my post was directed at you.

I wasn't judging you. I just thought the comment that the death toll being lowered was somehow implying that it made the statement any less stupid.

The rest of the post was really a reflection of the sentiment in this thread about being vegetarian. I apologize for implying that the rest of my post was directed at you.

Nope just plain old courtesy and perhaps pointing out a little hypocracy. No bother :thumb:

I used to be a fan of his, but today I threw all my records in the trash. Could not find a more suitable place for them after his statement.

Tomorrow I will burning the tshirt recently purchased at gig on the BBQ as I cook a juicy steak, the first in many years, as I no longer love or respect this man or anything he stood for - sickening, no clue of the value of life

This is not a 'newspaper', this is a site that I created and post items of interest, mostly submitted by other users of the site. Some may have an editorial slant, there is no hidden agenda. I have responded to your criticism. Sounds like you are the one who wants to argue into the night. As Uncleskinny said, you are free to create your own site if you don't like this one, or just stay on the professional 'newspaper' sites.

I think that "this is a site that I created" is all you really needed, or wanted, to say here. You typically pretend to be following some sort of system of rules until such time as you are cornered on your inability or unwillingness to do so. Then you announce that it's your site and everyone can go f*** themselves--not in so many words, of course, because there's Uncleskinny to do that for you.

You are giving your own imprimatur, and/or that of the site and its contributors and therefore of *Morrissey's fans*, to an opinion when you re-post it on the *news page* in such a way that no one can even tell whose opinion it is. Again, this is obvious. But you will not change this "historical" attribute of the site because that would mean accepting that a criticism was legitimate. Correct?

Tomorrow I will burning the tshirt recently purchased at gig on the BBQ as I cook a juicy steak, the first in many years, as I no longer love or respect this man or anything he stood for - sickening, no clue of the value of life

Wow, thats cool! We are all very impressed, thanks for sharing the news!

If Morrissey had kids he would have understood. He seems extremely self-centered with a almost child-like need for attention. If he skips to comment any further on this matter, he will loose much respect. For me he has been a key figure in music, our paths have divided now, this is too much.

Bergen, Norway

You're having a go at me cos you forgot to say something? Impressive.

Im the 24/7 meat-eating, BBQ-guy from some pages ago - commenting your comment.

You are giving your own imprimatur, and/or that of the site and its contributors and therefore of *Morrissey's fans*, to an opinion when you re-post it on the *news page* in such a way that no one can even tell whose opinion it is. Again, this is obvious. But you will not change this "historical" attribute of the site because that would mean accepting that a criticism was legitimate. Correct?

The criticism is legitimate, I get that some people such as yourself just want the facts on the main page. But that's not how the site is run - I'll continue to post 'news' from people and if they decide to add some editorial (positive/negative/neutral) I'll likely include it. Most people don't mind as they I've not heard this complaint often (I heard it once on slashdot.org), I actually don't recall anyone mentioning it before on this site.

Last edited:
As a committed vegetarian and huge Smiths/early Morrissey solo admirer, I am deeply annoyed and disappointed by this latest lapse of common sense and humanity. Not eating meat is a rational, logical and above all NATURAL life choice. With comments like this, Morrissey (and by extension the PETA mob) are doing their all to ensure that vegetarianism is seen in the minds of the public at large as the reserve of hysterical and heartless provocateurs.

As a committed vegetarian and huge Smiths/early Morrissey solo admirer, I am deeply annoyed and disappointed by this latest lapse of common sense and humanity. Not eating meat is a rational, logical and above all NATURAL life choice. With comments like this, Morrissey (and by extension the PETA mob) are doing their all to ensure that vegetarianism is seen in the minds of the public at large as the reserve of hysterical and heartless provocateurs.

petakillsanimals.com

well in norway we will make a hate morrisey club. campaining towards music shops selling his records and radiostations playing his music. He will not be welcome to play here as people will rip him apart. How does he think that anyone here ever will enjoy listening to his music again? It is absolutely despicable to promote your own personal beliefs on the backdrop of murdered children down to the age of 14. We will make our cause to let his remarks be known troughout the country and beyond. He is a racist as the mass murderer was so he probably admire him. All of norway hates him now as his remark has been on the frontpage of the biggest selling newspaper. we will start sending letters to all radiostations,record shops,people who arrange festivals and so on. People will not attend any concert he is trying to give here.

Great points.

“We all live in a murderous world, as the events in Norway have shown, with 97 dead. Though that is nothing compared to what happens in McDonald’s and Kentucky Fried Sh*t every day.”

I am a meat eater, so while I do not necessarily agree with him, I can see his viewpoint here. Firstly, I think the '97 dead. Though that is nothing compared to...' quote could be taken as a purely numerical comparison. 97 people - yes, that's terrible, but thousands of animals are killed by these companies and others every day, in horrific and distressing ways.

Now, you may be of the viewpoint that even one human life is worth more than any number of animals, but some people take the position that all life is equal. People, dogs, cats, cows, deer, chickens - all the same. Now, if you believe a human life is worth more than say, a horse, look at your reasons. Is it because humans are more 'intelligent'? Does that mean the lives of clever humans are worth more than stupid people?

There is another argument that states that as long as we keep on thinking of animals as 'lesser' creatures, there for us to do what we want with, and as long as we keep mistreating and killing them, we will never stop killing other humans, through murder and war. And I can see that the day we stop killing chickens because we see they have the same right to life as us, is going to make killing each other seem even more insane than it does now. There's a saying 'he wouldn't harm a fly', often used to show disbelief that someone would hurt or kill another person - because if he respects the existence of even the lowliest of creatures, how could he not do the same for a fellow human?
A lot of serial killers start out as kids who torture and kill animals.

Now, for those of you saying that Morrissey writes good songs but he's not qualified to speak on such weighty matters, let's allow that and bring in some bigger guns who have argued along similar lines in the past:

"As long as there are slaughter houses there will always be battlefields."~Leo Tolstoy

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look on the murder of men."~Leonardo Da Vinci

"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for white, or women created for men." ~Alice Walker

"The assumption that animals are without rights and the illusion that our treatment of them has no moral significance is a positively outrageous example of Western crudity and barbarity. Universal compassion is the only guarantee of morality." ~Schopenhauer

"As long as people will shed the blood of innocent creatures there can be no peace, no liberty, no harmony between people. Slaughter and justice cannot dwell together." ~Isaac Bashevis Singer

"Until he extends the circle of compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace." ~Albert Schweitzer

"For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love." ~Pythagoras

Anyway, I think that what Morrissey was saying in his clumsy way is that both things are terrible, and if you believe that animals are our equals as he does, then they both are. That may not be your view, but there was a time during the slaving era, that black people were regarded as nothing more than property - sometimes thrown overboard from slave ships for insurance purposes. (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part1/1h280.html) The prevailing view can change.

I think all Morrissey can be accused of here is a lack of tact. If someone you loved had been murdered and when you told a friend they said 'Well that's terrible, but McDonalds murders thousands of cows every day', you wouldn't be too pleased. BUt of course, Morrissey was addressing a small crowd from the stage in a different country, not talking to a grieving Norwegian parent, and the only way his comment would get back to those Norwegian parents is when the media sees fit to report these comments to stir up trouble and controversy. And that's what they're doing - just look how many headlines say something along the lines of 'Moz says McD's WORSE than Norway massacre'. No, he doesn't say it's worse. He says the numbers of dead are small by comparison. Still a shocking statement if you disagree that all types of life are equal, but not quite the same.

Let's all not react with the moral outrage that the tabloids are constantly trying to prod us into, and stop and think for a second instead. Unlike Morrissey on occasion.

well in norway we will make a hate morrisey club. campaining towards music shops selling his records and radiostations playing his music. He will not be welcome to play here as people will rip him apart. How does he think that anyone here ever will enjoy listening to his music again? It is absolutely despicable to promote your own personal beliefs on the backdrop of murdered children down to the age of 14. We will make our cause to let his remarks be known troughout the country and beyond. He is a racist as the mass murderer was so he probably admire him. All of norway hates him now as his remark has been on the frontpage of the biggest selling newspaper. we will start sending letters to all radiostations,record shops,people who arrange festivals and so on. People will not attend any concert he is trying to give here.

I thought freedom of speech was something highly prided in Scandinavia?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom