Morrissey: Norway massacre is "nothing" compared to the actions of fast food chains

Once again he shoots himself in the foot.

Morrissey: 'Norway Attacks Nothing Compared To Actions Of Fast Good Giants' - Gigwise
He claims...

Morrissey has courted criticism after he reportedly compared the actions of fast food companies to the recent attacks in Norway.

At least 76 people died last week in two separate attacks which were both orchestrated by far-right extremist Anders Behring Breivik.

Morrissey, a staunch vegetarian, made reference the massacre during a performance in at Stodola Club in Warsaw, Poland earlier this week, according to the Daily Mirror.

Before playing The Smiths' song 'Meat is Murder', he is quoted as saying: “We all live in a murderous world, as the events in Norway have shown, with 97 dead.

“Though that is nothing compared to what happens in McDonald’s and Kentucky Fried Sh*t every day.”

Video footage of Morrissey performing the song has been published on YouTube, but it omits his alleged introduction.

Morrissey's comment is the latest in a string of outbursts in recent months, many of which have focussed on animal welfare.

Link from Tingle3:

Morrissey says Norway massacre is "nothing" compared to the actions of fast food chains - Daily Mirror
by Ashleigh Rainbird

MORRISSEY has sparked outrage after saying the tragedy in Norway was “nothing” compared to the actions of fast food chains.

The controversial singer, 52, made his remark while on stage at a gig in Warsaw on Sunday night.

Before launching into his hit Meat is Murder, the outspoken vegetarian made reference to the horrific events last Friday.

Referring to the death toll as thought at the time he said: “We all live in a murderous world, as the events in Norway have shown, with 97 dead. Though that is nothing compared to what happens in McDonald’s and Kentucky Fried S*** every day.”

Two nights earlier the singer introduced the same song with another lambasting of the brands.

Gig-goers took to his fan sites to condemn the his outburst. One wrote: “The killing of children compared to KFC & McDonald’s?!!! What an ass****!”

Another wrote: “I really don’t know if that is *forgivable? Or of any use to the vegetarian cause?”

A spokesman said last night: “Morrissey has decided not to comment any further as he believes his statement speaks for itself.”

Update 10/18/2011:

Sistasheila posted the link to the video and actual words spoken during the concert:

"Despite the love, we do live on a murderous planet,
as you will have seen over the last few days in Norway.
Murder murder murder.
But really, every single day, worse things happen in KFC and McDonalds.
Murder, murder, murder, murder, murder..."

Link from inourbritches:
Morrissey: 'McDonald's, KFC worse than Norway massacre' - Digital Spy

Also, links posted by anonymous persons in the Warsaw post-show:
Meat biz worse than Norway: Morrissey - LFPress / Wenn.com
Morrissey lekceważąco o norweskiej tragedii - Interia.pl
Morrissey: – Massakren i Norge er ingenting mot massakren på Mc Donald's hver dag - tv2.no

80s Icon in Hot Water, a Facebook Status Leads To an Arrest, and a Whale Thanks its Rescuers in a Touching Way - Yahoo! News blog. Link from Desert Bee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: Morrissey: Norway massacre is "nothing" compared to the actions of fast

He is upset because it is an egregious foregrounding of a dismissive attitude, at a time when that attitude is virtually the official stance of this website. That is obvious. It is also a mistake no high school newspaper editor wouldn't be taken to task over--yet you're prepared to argue into the night over it. It is what you "historically" have done. People who want you to do other than you do want to "censor" you, and censor others, and so on and so on. Etc etc etc.

Please stop deflecting criticism rather than responding to it. There is a difference.

Here's a thought. Why not set up a website of your own where you can expound your views and those you agree with? It could be a winner.

I don't care what Morrissey thinks, says, blah blah... I love him for the music he has made and continues to make. That is the only relationship that exists between him and I.

i don't get it, why is morrissey getting attacked for caring about people AND animals? a lot of people on here seem to think you should only care about people and that caring about both is wrong. very strange.

when morrissey reminds you that you are no more important than any other animal (or person), you should listen and learn.

he is not arrogant. he is humble. you are all arrogant

Re: Article: Morrissey: Norway massacre is "nothing" compared to the actions of fast

Well spoken! Though I disagree on the cow/human comparison, you speak wisely! I have no problem with people having other opinions than myself, but I do dislike disrespect.

Thank you very much! I share your dislike of disrespect. (I always feel a little nervous posting here, because you never know when someone's going to tear your head off for having a different opinion.) Cheers!

As Morrissey is neither related to any of the Norwegian victims nor the animals, surely he is ok to make a non biased comment.

Also, let's not forget, chickens and cows have parents/offspring in mourning too.

You stupid s**t!
how the f**k can you compare the tragedy were 97 people (mostly people age 8-25) were killed, to chickens and cows?!
you are a horrible person...

He is upset because it is an egregious foregrounding of a dismissive attitude, at a time when that attitude is virtually the official stance of this website. That is obvious. It is also a mistake no high school newspaper editor wouldn't be taken to task over--yet you're prepared to argue into the night over it. It is what you "historically" have done. People who want you to do other than you do want to "censor" you, and censor others, and so on and so on. Etc etc etc.

Please stop deflecting criticism rather than responding to it. There is a difference.

This is not a 'newspaper', this is a site that I created and post items of interest, mostly submitted by other users of the site. Some may have an editorial slant, there is no hidden agenda. I have responded to your criticism. Sounds like you are the one who wants to argue into the night. As Uncleskinny said, you are free to create your own site if you don't like this one, or just stay on the professional 'newspaper' sites.

The wounds are still healing, kids from 13 and up were slaughtered, the survivord are traumatized for life, how dare Moz diminish a tragedy who is only 1 week old? Where is your heart?

You stupid s**t!
how the f**k can you compare the tragedy were 97 people (mostly people age 8-25) were killed, to chickens and cows?!
you are a horrible person...

What an enlightening comment, and to think people criticise this site!

I can compare it because I believe every life is equal. If that makes me a horrible person, so be it, I'm not going to shy away from what I believe because some anonymous poster on a fan site insults me.

And for the record, the death toll was revises down to 76 a few days ago.

Re: Article: Morrissey: 'Norway Attacks Nothing Compared To Actions Of Fast Good Gian

No... some of us such as myself get it. We understand what Singer says and why Morrissey says the things he does. We disagree with it. Morrissey is not above my head. I disagree with him and think he is an ass. I do not need to be anonymous to share my views of how ignorant and stupid he sounds today.

I said it in the forum and I will say it here. I wonder what his statement would have been had his family been killed in the London Train Bombings? Would he say it was horrible but the real tragedy is the consumption of meat.

The guy is a jackass.

It is interesting that you responded, because I did actually have you in mind, to an extent, when I made my post.

You say that you understand what Singer says, but you don't give any indication that you really do; nor that you might ever look into these areas of discussion further. If you accept that Morrissey is opposed to speciesism, then you fully understand why he would make his comment--and that his being "an ass" would have nothing to do with it. You should believe, then, that he has made a philosophical mistake, and that this comment is a natural enough outgrowth of that.

You are someone, incidentally, who posted pictures of himself chewing meat in a thread discussing vegetarianism. That is what many would consider being "an ass." You made jokes about drug-addicted member of the forum possibly being on the verge of committing suicide. That is what many would consider being "an ass."

You have said that you advocate "total war" in military conflicts, which presumably means the slaughter of civilians. That is what many would consider an extreme, heartless opinion--if they thought about it.

In the above cases, it isn't apparent that your lack of tact was motivated, like Morrissey's, by serious political or philosophical commitments. It is only apparent that you like being thought naughty. But then you turn around and lecture others for their irresponsibility, and their lack of traditional good manners. That's your schtick in a nutshell, isn't it? "I'm a regular guy, and some of you emo kids are just ridiculous."

As for anonymity: your name is not Buzzetta, and you are in fact so concerned about preserving your anonymity on this site that one of your many running (and now very tired) gags is about your refusal to admit that you have a Facebook.

You are a fairly enormous hypocrite, obviously. You are even engaging in an online travelogue lately, something you once devoting a huge amount of time to ridiculing another user for doing.

Your London train bombing argument makes little sense. Morrissey was not commenting on what was for him, or for almost anyone else, a personal tragedy. He was commenting on the allocation of public attention.

The comment was harsh because the hypocrisy is harsh. The butchery is harsh. Meat is murder. Geddit?

Let's face it. You are a conformist, authoritarian, proudy insensitive guy who for some reason spends a great deal of time functioning as a (very one-note) pundit on a forum about a nonconformist, anti-authoritarian, proudly sensitive performer. Your opinions could be predicting by a Commodore 64 program, and so, these days, could your language.

Hang it up. You're on the verge of becoming the joke you worried you'd become when you took your first long leave of absence from here. You won't get as much attention as you get here on a Billy Joel, Dave Matthews, or U2 forum, sure. Nor would Theo ever be noticed on any political forum. But you're a middle-aged man, and this is getting embarrassing. Have a little dignity.

Mr. Morrissey you should eat some meat because it`s obvious that your brain is in urgent need of some! I hope that after this statement you will sell only one CD in your life and you can send it with your hand signed autograph to mr. breivik!

I don't think hes saying that the happenings in Norway are nothing, I think hes saying that he sees no difference between humans and animals and millions of animals are slaughtered all the time, just a different perspective. Simple as that. And he has the point.

Choosing "nothing" as the one quoted word in the headline was just another way that the site's administrator slants the tone to do the most damage.

This site has been about a vendetta for a long, long time now.

Ironically enough, Morrissey has ZERO respect for YOUR views.

this ^^^^^^^

First of all would i like to congratulate you morrissey, for such a wonderful comparison. I would also like to welcome you to Norway, and give you the chance to repeat that to the people affected by this tragedy. Why not share your wonderful message with the mother who lost her 14 year old daughter, the boy who watched his mother get shot, or any of the hundreds of people who now have lost someone they love.

But seriously, I`ve officially lost all my respect for you.

Mr. Morrissey you should eat some meat because it`s obvious that your brain is in urgent need of some! I hope that after this statement you will sell only one CD in your life and you can send it with your hand signed autograph to mr. breivik!

What is your point exactly? Is Breivik also an Animal Rights Activist just as Morrissey?

And for the record, the death toll was revises down to 76 a few days ago.

Whew!!! Now Morrissey can be let off off the hook. The Magic Number for being sensitive about human deaths is 78.

Animal deaths are, to most people, trivial unless it was a pet.

When my pets die I get sad and I miss them.
When chickens and cows die and become dinner I eat them.

I don't care what your meat eating agenda is. I have my own. If you agree or disagree with me I'm not phased either way.

Here's a thought. Why not set up a website of your own where you can expound your views and those you agree with? It could be a winner.

I'm worried various psychopaths here, under your protection, would devote themselves to stalking me, as they've done to Quiffaa.

As for views one disagrees with: I believe you banned Blue Jag for making a joke about dead hookers that you didn't like. You banned someone else, I forget the name, for quoting Morrissey on the sexual content of the song Ambitious Outsiders. You ban anyone who posts anything that freaks you out. Always have done, always will.

You banned Theo until he deleted posts about your role in the Jed Skullcap business. Remember that, oh great enemy of censorship?

Serious question now, though:

When CrystalGeezer finally runs naked into a busy intersection after weeks of being off her meds so that she could share her "visions" with her fans on here--will you consider yourself partly culpable?

Retardissey has shown a new level of idiotism, creds to the ones getting a Nobel prize figuring out how his brain works. Mankind will benefit from such research since it will help us from stopping us all from using valuable time on listening to such non-important entities that dare to call themselves humans and taking such words in their mouths, and... even worse... lettning them come out of the mouth... amazing! True stupidity in it's most "excellent" form! What a moron... Moronissey... go grow carrots and eat them by yourself if you chose to degrade those lives taken in Norway in that brainless way! You are just lucky that you have collected some fans over the years listening to that crap music, otherwise you would just sit there at McDonalds eating burgers and crying over the kids that has just been taken away from you in a meaningless shooting. You are just plain lucky you have managed to sell some records, otherwise ou would be a sad nobody... Go shave yourself and grow up! Is mom still cooking your veg food just like Breivik's did?! Come on spoiled kid...

Re: Article: Morrissey: 'Norway Attacks Nothing Compared To Actions Of Fast Good Gian

proudly sensitive performer. .

You can but laugh. Morrissey ceased being "gentle and kind" many, many years ago, sadly.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom