The Smiths-Complete Super Deluxe Collectors Box?

After placing orders through Rhino and recordstore.co.uk, I may have gotten this for a bargain (so to speak) from amazon.co.uk. I'm in the US, and here are the details:

Subtotal of Items: £185.83
Postage & Packing: £3.08
------
Total before VAT: £188.91
VAT: £0.00
------
Total for this order: £188.91

Assuming they don't change the shipping fee, that's about a £120 savings over my Rhino order!

Hi beau,
i send them the wrong box back and paid for it. But they do not assume the costs. I got a standard box, not limited (500) and the bonus material, which was in the new box. So i have to open it to look, if it's right. So i didn't get what i have ordered. So you are a lucky winner of their mistake (two sets!). I'm not.

After placing orders through Rhino and recordstore.co.uk, I may have gotten this for a bargain (so to speak) from amazon.co.uk. I'm in the US, and here are the details:

------
------

Assuming they don't change the shipping fee, that's about a £120 savings over my Rhino order!

Guess you must have got a bargain - the best price on Amazon now is £222 - still cheaper than HMV and Rhino... Given there are 3000 of these, I guess the prices will continue to fall - up until Rhino announce a special edition with promo CDs added :)

Dave

------
------

Won't you pay taxes for shipping abroad?
In Brazil when you buy something from another country you need to pay some expansive taxes for it.

*EDIT*

Order Summary

Items:£185.83
Postage & Packing:£3.68

Total before VAT:£189.51
VAT:£0.00

Order Total: £189.51

Last edited:
The box set was 222 when I put it in my basket, but charged out at 185 probably due to the VAT taken off. In the US I've never been charged customs on imports.

The box set was 222 when I put it in my basket, but charged out at 185 probably due to the VAT taken off. In the US I've never been charged customs on imports.

Unfourtunately, we have a poor limit of US$ 50 for mports. Everything that's more expansive than this value needs to be paid with taxes. If your buyings are US$ 50 (including the shipping) you'll pay at least US$ 40 on taxes....

Hi beau,
i send them the wrong box back and paid for it. But they do not assume the costs. I got a standard box, not limited (500) and the bonus material, which was in the new box. So i have to open it to look, if it's right. So i didn't get what i have ordered. So you are a lucky winner of their mistake (two sets!). I'm not.

The two boxes were identical, the only difference being the additional content. You did not need to send yours back. I never opened it, I just shook it and heard the cds floating around inside.

Thanks you for the heads up..I placed my order as well for the same cost..Its about $300 including shipping which is pretty reasonable. I can always cancel by October 3rd if I change my mind.

------
------

Has anyone else noticed that the cover of the LP box set (£149.99) has changed? Not from the 'temporary' cover art but you could see from another thumbnail that it was going to be a photo of the group in Paris from December (?) 1984 (as featured on the cover of the 'Hand That Rocks The Cradle' bootleg CD). A mostly white-coloured cover. Now it's a picture of the fairground girls like the other two sets. Disappointing. Having a different cover for the LP box set would have set it apart from the other two sets. Now it's a bit redundant; why not just only buy the £250 set instead (as it has the LPs as well).

Uh... How come this boxset, that was strictly (<-- Notice the strictly) limited to 3000 copies worldwide is now strictly (<-- Notice the strictly) limited to 4000 copies worldwide?

Can anyone find an e-mail address for Rhino Customer Services so I can ask if they're just going to keep on upping the number? I can only find pages of useless FAQ's.

If it's not actually that limited, then I'm in no rush at all to buy it, really.

Uh... How come this boxset, that was strictly (<-- Notice the strictly) limited to 3000 copies worldwide is now strictly (<-- Notice the strictly) limited to 4000 copies worldwide?

Can anyone find an e-mail address for Rhino Customer Services so I can ask if they're just going to keep on upping the number? I can only find pages of useless FAQ's.

If it's not actually that limited, then I'm in no rush at all to buy it, really.

Dont they always claim it's "Limited to such and such"? it's their way of saying "its limited to 3-4k now, but in about 5 yrs, when we want more $$, we'll re-release it again, and say it's limited to such and such, that way, we can make even more $$$...he he".I would hold off anyways, the price is almost certain to come down, and, you could probablt get one for much cheaper then.

How do you know this wasn't simply a mistake on the website? The release of information was a bit clumsy. The images disappeared, then came back again. Text changed a few times.

Whoever was putting the website together maybe copied a template from another release and get the numbers mixed up.

This is the same f***ing horrible con trick that all the majors have been perpetrating lately - I'm thinking of certain reissues of old Floyd and Who albums.

Forcing us to spend £100 or thereabouts on a deluxe edition - with unnecessary layers of packaging, vinyls and remix CDs of dubious value, blah blah - in order to acquire a disc or two of sought-after rarities which will not be available separately.

And they wonder why CD and DVD sales are collapsing. It's not just because of filesharing - it's because of the greed and contempt for the impoverished public that artists as well as record companies are guiity of, and must be punished for: filesharing is one way to punish them,

Various sources now list extensive and brand new liner notes by journalist Lois Wilson. Has anybody heard of him/her? Google is coming up with pretty much nowt. The name doesn't ring a bell with me.

Would have preferred Paul Morley. His written contribution to the Kevin Cummins' photo book "Looking for the Light Through the Pouring Rain" was sublime on The Smiths.

One other niggle - the title ~ "Complete"? This isn't New Order. Too minimalist, post-modern and cold. First "Singles", now "Complete". Plus, it's not even true.

Exactly :)
Boys%252520in%252520Drag.JPG

But I think it is Rourke, Joyce, Marr and Morrissey.

Dave

These are not boys or boys in drag! They are 100% females girls from right to left and left to right from the early 60's!

It is part of four fab Beatles fans taken by Jurgen Vollmer in the early 60′s. The photo is in his book “Rock ‘n’ Roll Times: The Style and Spirit of the Early Beatles and Their First Fans” which was published in September 1983, and is on the back cover of The Smiths The World Won’t Listen album along with the photo he took of the front cover. The front cover and back cover were Beatles fans taken in Hamburg Germany in the early 60's by Vollmer. I mean they don't even look like guys.

For 'The World Won't Listen', images were taken from Jurgen Vollmer's 1981 collection of images taken in Hamburg and Paris between 1961 and 1964, Rock 'N' Roll Times: The Style And Spirit Of The Early Beatles And Their First Fans. Encompassing the equivocal love of fairgrounds The Smiths explored on 'Rusholme Ruffians', it's from a time when pop was young and passions repressed.

But Marr did explain the idea behind The Smiths Album The World won't Listen cover art as a representation of how Beatles fans and Smiths fans were paralleled in the images of these early Beatles fans, as a representation of Smiths fans and the band at the time, in this quote he explains how it was never discussed that this was the reason, but it was understood:

"It represents the band to me," says Marr. "On the front you've got four guys who look like, if not the band, then Smiths fans. On the back you've got the female side of it - individually they really look like the Smiths: Morrissey on the far right, me on the second right, Andy [Rourke, bass] on the second left and Mike [Joyce, drums] on the far left. To find a picture like that is really clever. We didn't discuss it, but I understood."

He also clears up any silly rumour of this being guys in drag (which it is clearly common knowledge it's real girls before this comment anyway) as he also says the female side of it, but is only meant as a representation of a cleaver female take of a The Smiths in the early 60's being females or the strangeness of how eerie and cleaver the similarities are, not to represent them in drag, as they are not really The Smiths obviously, but more perhaps ghosts of them, as it is haunting to think they were or actually could have been all females in another life before The Smiths and were friends in the early 60's lol, as this is how I see it as opposed to them in Drag, as it isn't actually them back then now is it?

How funny....I always found the second one from left to be a nice girl to look at.....
Cheers Moz

These are not boys or boys in drag! They are 100% females girls from right to left and left to right from the early 60's!

It is part of four fab Beatles fans taken by Jurgen Vollmer in the early 60′s. The photo is in his book “Rock ‘n’ Roll Times: The Style and Spirit of the Early Beatles and Their First Fans” which was published in September 1983, and is on the back cover of The Smiths The World Won’t Listen album along with the photo he took of the front cover. The front cover and back cover were Beatles fans taken in Hamburg Germany in the early 60's by Vollmer. I mean they don't even look like guys.

For 'The World Won't Listen', images were taken from Jurgen Vollmer's 1981 collection of images taken in Hamburg and Paris between 1961 and 1964, Rock 'N' Roll Times: The Style And Spirit Of The Early Beatles And Their First Fans. Encompassing the equivocal love of fairgrounds The Smiths explored on 'Rusholme Ruffians', it's from a time when pop was young and passions repressed.

But Marr did explain the idea behind The Smiths Album The World won't Listen cover art as a representation of how Beatles fans and Smiths fans were paralleled in the images of these early Beatles fans, as a representation of Smiths fans and the band at the time, in this quote he explains how it was never discussed that this was the reason, but it was understood:

"It represents the band to me," says Marr. "On the front you've got four guys who look like, if not the band, then Smiths fans. On the back you've got the female side of it - individually they really look like the Smiths: Morrissey on the far right, me on the second right, Andy [Rourke, bass] on the second left and Mike [Joyce, drums] on the far left. To find a picture like that is really clever. We didn't discuss it, but I understood."

He also clears up any silly rumour of this being guys in drag (which it is clearly common knowledge it's real girls before this comment anyway) as he also says the female side of it, but is only meant as a representation of a cleaver female take of a The Smiths in the early 60's being females or the strangeness of how eerie and cleaver the similarities are, not to represent them in drag, as they are not really The Smiths obviously, but more perhaps ghosts of them, as it is haunting to think they were or actually could have been all females in another life before The Smiths and were friends in the early 60's lol, as this is how I see it as opposed to them in Drag, as it isn't actually them back then now is it?

Tags
complete boxset deluxe boxset
Back
Top Bottom