"Throwing out his own fans – has Morrissey finally lost it?" - The Guardian Music Blog

Found this in The Guardian website...

Throwing out his own fans – has Morrissey finally lost it? by Stephen Kelly - The Guardian Music Blog
After a 5,000-mile trip from LA to Copenhagen, a Morrissey fansite owner was looking forward to seeing his favourite artist in concert. Instead he was refused entry and given a lifetime ban

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: "Throwing out his own fans – has Morrissey finally lost it?" - The Guard

Welcome. Morrissey-solo is not responsible for the content of the chatroom, chat at your own risk. Report issues/abuse to:
[email protected].
You have entered Solo Chat.
1:39 PM [Maribel] hi
1:39 PM [Skylarker] Hello dear friends.
1:39 PM [Maribel] hello
1:39 PM [Maribel] =)
1:39 PM [Maribel] where re u from
1:39 PM [Skylarker] I went to Wharton High School in Tampa, Florida.
1:39 PM [Skylarker] I raped a boy named Richard in the locker room once.
1:39 PM [Skylarker] He loved it.
1:40 PM [Skylarker] Now he makes posts on the internet all day. Trying to forget.
User Maribel has logged out.
1:41 PM [Skylarker] But I'm parked on Stanton Lane right now and I will never let him forget.
1:41 PM [Skylarker] Bye.

" The person responsible for the cripplingly unfunny fake 'Morrissey' blog is Walter Ego, failed journalist, friend of Uncleskinny (surprise surprise) and all round Tseng arse-licker on the forums.”
http://www.morrissey-solo.com/members/7515-Walter-Ego (Theo. C. Coupier)

Twittering on:
www.twitter.com/banjaxer
www.twitter.com/morrisseysmum

Here he admits (braves about) thats he is the one bullying Morrissey on Morrissey-solo.com:

http://twitter.com/banjaxer/status/90528926841044992

Troll post.

Re: Article: "Throwing out his own fans – has Morrissey finally lost it?" - The Guard

Richard Anthony. Aged 24. Banned from every website imaginable. Livin' with Ma and Pa. LOL

Elaborate, please. What stories?

I do believe he is mega-rich.

I can't repeat the stories, nor will I hint at who told me what. They were nothing particularly scandalous, or revelatory. However they were insightful about the generous, gentle and kind person Morrissey is capable of being, even though some former fans and friends tell stories about what a petulant and vindictive person he can be.

I don't know how much money Morrissey has and nobody has a right to know except Morrissey himself. However I do know that he's not "mega-rich", for instance he doesn't receive royalties from The Smiths. He also has to pay those involved in his past work, as well as the present, when he tours, as he performs songs from his entire back catalogue. Just think of how many people he's been involved with; it's a lot to pay out.

If you were to compare Morrissey's income to an ordinary member of the public's income, then of course he'd seem rich, but compare it to others in the music business and he's the bottom of the pile. When he retires it's not like he can buy a council house in Manchester and rely on a state pension. Well, he could, but who would want to do that after leading such a life as his?

I know some fans like to believe he tours for them, and of course he enjoys the adulation that accompanies his gigs and he likes performing (sorry, appearing) on stage. However the real reason, or at least part of the reason, is money. I was told that he tours so much because, if he didn't, he wouldn't be able to retire on the earnings solely from his albums. Yes creativity compelled his return in 2004, but also, the man had run out of cash. Sadly, genius doesn't pay. If it did then we'd see the other 3 Smiths living in castles and dining daily on (vegetarian) foie gras.

Dear Stephen Patrick Morrissey,

Over the years I have bought all of your Cds, I have paid good (and bad) money too see you play. I can accept that you are growing fatter, balder and grumpier. I can accept that you have a massive Mr Potato head. I can accept you playing naff-ish versions of Smiths songs. What has tipped me, though, Mr Morrissey, is your shocking treatment of a guy that hosts a fansite. An internet forum with differing opinions? Who knew?! Throwing a person out of gig for simply running a site that allows open and honest discussion about your increasingly bland recorded output is just mental. For that reason, i'm out. Mr Morrissey - you will not get a single penny more of my money. I will spend my spare cash on burgers, leather shoes, puppies to eat and rare birds eggs - LOADS OF THEM.

Good night and thank you.

That's exactly how I feel!

It's interesting to hear your take on Years of Refusal; I too cannot listen to the album all the way through, aside from the first few times I heard it. However, I think "It's Not Your Birthday Anymore" is possibly one of Morrissey's worst songs. I can only listen to the first 8 tracks on YOR. However, I also think that "When Last I spoke to Carol" is one of the best songs Morrissey has ever recorded. I also thought that the cover of the album was fantastic; better than the endless (albeit attractive) pictures of Morrissey looking wistful in various poses that adorn the covers of his other solo albums.

My opinion on Morrissey banning David T from his gigs is simply that I do not think an artist should ban anyone, unless they have threatened a member of the band or crew. Neverthless, as you said, it's Morrissey's show, he makes the decisions and if he wants to ban someone, he can.

Has he lost it? In the eyes of people who have never liked him, he never had it. And in the eyes of the devoted, he'll never lose it. Therefore I fail to see the point of articles like this one in the Guardian. Music is a very subjective thing; for instance, as much as I love Morrissey, I've never been interested in the music he likes and when he published a list of his favourite albums, I only agreed with Jeff Buckley's Grace.

Anyway, the point is that, to many fans Morrissey hasn't lost it, because he hasn't changed. He still writes interesting lyrics (even though they are often lost under the average music) and he sticks stubbonly to his band because he likes them as people and not necessarily the music they play. Thus, even though the songs sound very samey musically, Morrissey is still happy, because they have been recorded with the purity of his vision. In this repect he is almost autistic in his stubborness to listen to anyone else's opinion. He also hasn't changed as regards his public actions and pronouncements. The only reason they offend many fans nowadays is that the fans grew up, but Morrissey refused to compromise his adolescent self. For that I greatly admire the man, even though I find I don't agree with him as much as I used to.

When he obtains a record deal, or finds another way to release his material, he will still have fans who like the songs, he will still sell the record and he will still gather column inches and interest on the strength of his opinionated and eloquent prose. Nevertheless, I think these little acts of petulance on Morrissey's part (although entirely fitting with his character) do indicate a man bored with the sychophancy, the hatred and the bickering of fans on websites such as this and often at his gigs. I sometimes think that he's into self sabotage, in order to alienate himself further from these types of fans and that he swings between wishing for mainstream popularity, to carving such an odd niche he will end up playing to an audience of about 10 people. Both these scenarios will allow him to feel aggrieved and I think he cannot enjoy life, or be creative unless he feels that fire of resentment.

All I know is that as long as Morrissey is around I will remain a fan; I'm not as slavishly devoted as I once was, but he's unique in his field and I still find him a very interesting artist, mainly for the persona he has cultivated. And it is a persona, even as he insists that the "Morrissey" the fans see is his true self, I have heard several stories to the contrary. But still, I think many former fans do the man a disservice in their objection to him. He is not as rich, as strange, nor as thoughtless as many like to believe.

I think you have pretty much encapsulated the general view towards Moz of 99% of people who like him and his music. The only thing I don't agree with is your thinking 'Carol' is one of his best songs. I bloody hate that song. Although maybe it's because I had a particularly unpleasant experience with a woman named Carol. But the less said about that the better...

"Oh gracious, please pull this site down or I'll have to shove posies stem first into my ears!!!!"

Please, gentlepeople, it's a new age when people have the right to express their opinions freely. This free exchange of thoughts is more important than others' feelings, more important than Mozzer's, yours, or mine. This free exchange helps prevent and deter fascism, racism, sexism, religious control, political control, etc... Everyone should have a voice; the trolls, the fey fanboys, and the disappointed majority of which I am a proud member.

Remember lying in bed with your headphones on, not feeling alone anymore? Knowing there was someone else who actually understood you better than you yourself? Those were very powerful, and pivotal moments in my, and most of the people who post here lives. I appreciate them and I appreciate the person who gave them to me. But that doesn't mean I have to like everything he does, the majority of the new material says nothing to me about my life. Is that a sad thing? Yes. But, it's inevitable. We all change, Morrissey cannot write the same songs he wrote as a 24 year old. The drive isn't there. He doesn't need to impress anyone anymore. The thing with art is, if you do something long enough at a very high level there will always be a decline; Bowie, Lennon, McCartney weren't exactly in their prime with their last works, were they?

Art is made because the artist wants to be loved. Morrissey is loved, he could only release privy moment recordings from now on and a bunch of dimmers would still love it. He writes songs now because that's the only thing he knows how to do; life is very boring, he needs the exercise.

Does the band suck? They're fair. Being Morrissey he could hire the greatest hipster band ever if he wanted to.
Do the new songs suck? Yes.
Do I hate him or his band? No. If he is doing what makes him happy, cheers to him!

Cheers to me and to you to be able to share our OPINION on anything we wish, for all to see across the world!

This situation makes me, in equal parts, sad and angry.

I don't come to this site often. I used to visit everyday, multiple times a day. I stopped coming here regularly around 2006 (I think). I stopped coming to this site for a few reasons:
  • The negative comments and personal attacks about me bothered me
  • I had less time and more responsibilities to deal with in the "real world"
  • I didn't listen to Moz's music as much. As soon as I got a mortgage, I had less time / interest in all music not just Morrissey.
  • Moz's music didn't compel me or mean as much to me now that I'm in my 30's as it did when I was a teenager. I'm no longer sad and lonely!

Having run the now defunct MorrisseyTour.com for 7 years I have some insight into what it's like to run a Morrissey fan site. There were times when I've had to separate my feelings for Moz as a musician from him as a person.

The occasions that I have met Morrissey have been nothing less than awesome. Morrissey and his tour personnel were very kind to my friends and I during the 1999 and 2002 tour. For that I am thankful.

I don't know what part Hugh played in this? I would guess that there's a lot to this story that most of us don't know. Having known him since 99 (dubbing him "The Scottish Dog Guy") he's a nice affable guy. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I'd like to think he's someone who would do the right thing.

Having met David T many times and corresponding with him over the years I can honestly say that he's such a nice guy. Quiet and unassuming; just a nice person in general. It saddens me to hear that he would get chucked out of a Morrissey show and banned for life. I feel like there was some sort of synapse? I don't understand why he would get banned? What's was the precipitous?

I know there are some really shitty comments & commentators on this board. When I couldn't take enough I left. I didn't get mad. I didn't blame David T. I simply vanished. What's the point in sticking around if you don't like the smell?

I hope that there's a positive resolution for everyone in this situation. I don't want Morrissey to be unhappy nor do I want David to be banned.

Thanks for listening,
Angela

that's a nice post, Angela.

I find it strange that after all these years (since the cease and desist), Morrissey still has to have huge problems with this website, targeting now personally its webmaster davidt. They strike me as both intelligent people, I'm sure they can work it out without there being any need for heavy handed intervention.

I can't but think both have a shared interest in how some aspects of the site could be run, and along those lines it could prove a more useful approach to try to address whatever lies under the waterline and causes all this friction. Because the present state of affairs isn't much help, to neither of the parties involved.

Yet until that happens, I guess it's "resist or move on"...

I agree with you as well!! Morrissey is and always will be the best EVER!!!! Despite anything.
Very well said indeed.

In general, the more you know about how this place works, the more difficult you'll find it to make a post (and see it last for more than ten minutes). Mere links to past posts by moderators are their favorite posts to delete.
Could a representative of Hugh let us know if he has future grassing plans and if so the names of the people he will be reporting to Morrissey's security.

Could a representative of Hugh let us know if he has future grassing plans and if so the names of the people he will be reporting to Morrissey's security.

If you object to grassing, then presumably you've made a great many posts on this site about all the grassing done here by HIM, Dave, Cornelius Blaze, !Viva Hate!, etc--the mods' pet trolls. Links, please?

I like poetic justice, personally. It's poetic.

Morrissey is fifty two years old I cannot believe people on this blog are trying to attack David Tseng! David is ONE of the reasons Morrissey has maintained his popularity in the past fifteen years. Where would Morrissey fans have to meet to discuss his music and career? Morrissey is a talented musician BUT Morrissey's personality stinks! Morrissey always has to play the victim and he just seems like a bitter old man. Morrissey obviously doesn't know public relations he looks like a real loser treating David like that!

Where would Morrissey fans have to meet to discuss his music and career?

Why do they need to do that? They don't. And they hardly do. This site is for mentally ill attention-whoring.

It seems to me Morrissey and some of his brain dead devoted fans CANNOT take criticism! Morrissey can't have it BOTH WAYS he wants people to attend his concerts, buy his records BUT he can't handle criticism? Morrissey comes across as a major hypocrite. He criticizes Michael Buble and Madonna yet has a problem when people blast him on this blog? Give me a break! It seems to me Morrissey is actually quite vulnerable he can dish it out but he can't take it. Morrissey has a history of making nasty comments about people yet this has been can't take people saying things about him on the internet? Whatever Morrissey is old news. The best thing about this controversy is people have now learned the truth about Morrissey he's just not a nice person. Morrissey comes across as a this old f***** that doesn't know what time it is.

He criticizes Michael Buble and Madonna yet has a problem when people blast him on this blog? Give me a break!

You have albums by both, don't you?

And posters?

Buzzetta? Trubz?

well having succumbed to the fact that either riley wicked witch of the west or hugh so would like to be up morrisseys arse tske an instant dislike nothing surprises me

what i object to is taking offence at people who actually pay to hear the mostly shite he spouts out yet u pay for f***a all and then ban those keepin u in hotels

summat wrong there mate

discuss

irene

"

Please, gentlepeople, it's a new age when people have the right to express their opinions freely. This free exchange of thoughts is more important than others' feelings, more important than Mozzer's, yours, or mine. This free exchange helps prevent and deter fascism, racism, sexism, religious control, political control, etc... Everyone should have a voice; the trolls, the fey fanboys, and the disappointed majority of which I am a proud member.

Yawn. Yet another imbecilic post. Let's see you 'exchange your thoughts at the expense of other peoples feelings' in PERSON, you vacuous non-entity. Oh that's right, you wouldn't have the guts, because you'd get your teeth driven down your throat.

It's so terribly sad when Morrissey can't even sell out the tiny Brixton Academy for days while the Pixies sell out multiple shows in that same venue in a lesser number of minutes. Is it because the Pixies' shows are actually relevant, exciting and played with not only technical proficiency, but with panache while Morrissey is now just a fat gay man who lost his voice years ago and worse his talent for writing lyrics?

There was a time when Morrissey was untouchable as a lyricist, quite possibly the greatest one ever and rivaling Keats and Yates (but not Wilde) in Britain's pantheon of poets. But today, his lyrics are ridiculously, outrageously bad, on the same level as Rebecca Black (but with about a hundred million less views on YouTube) and outshined even by the whitest of rappers.

It's sad to say but if he was a true miserable artist he would have killed himself like he so often sings about after Johnny left or perhaps after "Viva Hate" so that his greatness would never be soiled while always being forever young and a legend like Kurt Cobain.

But now, he's evolved into the joke that he's once rallied against. Remember "Get Off The Stage"? He wrote that about a middle age Mick Jagger still performing in the 90's and yet now Morrissey is as old as Jagger was when GOTS was written.

He certainly is not taking his own "advice" or being true to his word, but worse, Jagger in his 70's still has the talent, voice and slim physique of himself as a young man while Morrissey has turned into the world's fattest vegetarian.

And the songs, oh boy. It's hard to imagine anything worse than "Years Of Refusal" and yet Morrissey has done it. The new songs are simply atrocious. There is a reason why Jesse didn't last a month in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, he sucks!

We all know Morrissey wants to suck Jesse's cock and even schemed to get him naked for that terrible cover so that he could view his Jesse's naked skin storm, but to whore out your art for lust is something even Too Low for Morrissey. And yet Morrissey did it.

It's tragic that all those "Morrissey is ill" and "has cancer" rumours didn't contain a bit more truth to them. Morrissey's next act is a pretty grave. Like Michael Jackson, he will find the respect he craves so much in life only in death.

what a dirty shithouse this whole site is now. I've just been reading the forums and some of the topics are absoluely vile, not to mention the comments from the vilest of all who appear to be skylarker, jackie london, cornelius blaze and crystal geezer. absolutely sickening. and all of it unmoderated by the apparent 'moderators'. David T is an utter disgrace.
let me be the first of the gang to point the main moderator bastards out to security as well if they have the audacity to attend his gigs. We know who you are.

The homophobia on this site disgusts me. So what if Morrissey is gay; his sexuality has been the same throughout his life, so why use it as if it's a reason for what some fans see as declining talent? You might as well say that Leonard Cohen is no longer relevant because he's an old Jewish man, or Diana Ross was no good after the Supremes because she was a tall, black woman. But I guess, to some people, their snide comments about homosexuality are due to fact that it still frightens them; they're the same people who use the word "gay" to mean "crap" and see nothing wrong with it. It's quite sad really. If you're going to become a master of the insult, perhaps read a few books first and learn how to be cutting without bringing race, religion, sexuality, age, or personal appearance into it. Otherwise you just sound like you're fresh out of the playground.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom