Morrissey fans searched for meat before gig....according to the wonderfully bored NME

mopeonarope

Half Man / Half Badger
Surely not where were your sausages ?...did you conceal a chipolata down your front pants ?

http://www.nme.com/news/morrissey/57992

Ticket buyers who were entering Morrissey's gig at Middlesborough Town Hall last Friday (July 8) were searched in case they were carrying any meat products, according to reports.

The former Smiths man is an extremely strict vegetarian and is known to demand that venues he perform in have no meat on the premises, but this is the first time he has insisted that gig goers be searched for meat.

According to the Daily Mirror, when fans entered the venue they were directed toward security who searched their bags for any meat products.

Re: Morrissey fans searched for meat before gig....according to the wonderfully bored

Lord knows I love going to gigs with 300g of minced meat in my pockets...

Re: Morrissey fans searched for meat before gig....according to the wonderfully bored

He does know that just because the people aren't carrying meat products doesn't mean that the meat products are not still processed, yes?

I really hope this is true and not merely another NME fabrication. The last few weeks of constant Morrissey in the media have made me wonder about what on earth he must be actually thinking. Are all his recent actions merely to stir up media attention in an attempt to convince the record companies that he's publicly relevant enough to warrant being signed? If so, I am very relieved.

Intervention time?

Re:

Very strange that some users went to the gig, but they didn't mention about this.

Re:

I don't believe this is true. How the hell is someone meant to hide meat on their person?

The mental breakdown continues.

Maybe he thought Lady Gaga was in attendance:

Lady_Gaga_Meat_Dress.jpg

typical NME rubbish.

Almost certainly a joke by the security fella.

Especially because the venue spokeswoman (quoted in the Mirror but strangely absent in the NME article) didn't know anything about a meat ban and said that the bag searches are "for anything that can be thrown at the band such as alcohol, plastic bottles and even umbrellas." One couple told a joke by the security chap and the NME starts talking about orders from Morrissey. Other people at the same gig have expressed confusion in the comments section, saying it was just a routine bag search. No one else prior to this gig mentioned anything. I was not frisked for meat when I went to see him.

Is this music journalism? I mean, I expect dismal standards from the Daily Mirror, but come on NME, at least quote the venue spokesperson if you're going to the throw round baseless accusations.

What's the joke here? The security man's quip or NME? Seems the latter hasn't let go of the 'let's all hate Morrissey' trend. I hate to see how angry and nasty people get in the comments sections when the article is largely and deliberately fabricated.

The current media problems in the UK have left some news organisations searching for stories as their usual underhand methods of dirt raking are off limits for the time being.
That's why a stupid quip by a security guard can turn into a stupid story like this which is then believed by stupid people.

Re:

I don't believe this is true. How the hell is someone meant to hide meat on their person?

reminds me of this skit from the show 'The Chaser's war on everything' where they try to get past sniffer dogs at a festival with meat -

Was the first thing that came to my mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re:

At each gig there was a LONG and changing list of prohibited items posted by Moz's security. Meat was never on the list. The article is a joke.

I got frisked in York and my bag got searched too I remember the security overlooking the recording equipment and the potential that I may have a knife in there, but chose to take away my oaty brunch bar. Incase it had meat in it. Oh and he had meat completely wiped of the menu for the night. But that's fair play.

I heard that anyone meeting say a friend of a friend at gigs best not be overheard saying "nice to meet you" by security, lest there be trouble.

Ha - I remember a former member here who stood on line eating McNuggets outside the venue waiting to get in. Classic.

I bet this guy was packing some meat.
oldest_male_stripper-gallery-2.jpg

I am actually surprised that this is news at all and people in here wonder if it's true. At the Vienna show two years ago security has taken a ham or salami sandwich from a girl's bag right in front of me. This must have been common pracitce for long.

Back
Top Bottom