Leeds - Academy (July 7, 2011) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in. Beware of anonymous set list trolls!

Set List:

I Want The One I Can't Have / You're The One For Me, Fatty / Irish Blood, English Heart / Shoplifters Of The World Unite / You Have Killed Me / The Kid's A Looker / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Ouija Board, Ouija Board / I Know It's Over / Action Is My Middle Name / Speedway / Satellite Of Love / Alma Matters / People Are The Same Everywhere / There Is A Light That Never Goes Out / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Meat is Murder / First Of The Gang To Die // Panic

set list provided by dan the man and The Smiths Indeed

Last edited:
same as grimsby but no TCM (replaced by panic) as an encore, and no 'one day goodbye will be farewell' which is a shame.
all 3 new songs were played and received well i thought, action being the most popular.

Leeds set list & quotations:

intermission films same as Stoke, same order
intro music: The Operation drum intro (not live)

I WANT THE ONE I CAN'T HAVE
YOU'RE THE ONE FOR ME, FATTY (lyric change: "Oh Battersea, some hope & then despair")
IRISH BLOOD, ENGLISH HEART
"Thank you."
SHOPLIFTERS OF THE WORLD UNITE
YOU HAVE KILLED ME (lyric change: "who am I that I come to be standing up here?")
"We have travelled all the way from Margaret Row's (???) house, in Leeds, to see you tonight. And err what a lovely sight you are."
THE KID'S A LOOKER
"Thank you."
I'M THROWING MY ARMS AROUND PARIS (lyric change: "in the absence of your smiling face I snag all over the place")
(During Paris arms are indeed thrown: there's a fight down the mid-front - 2 people are expelled, 1 of which unfairly possibly. Ugly.)
"Yes, I know. I heard what you said. And you're right."
OUIJA BOARD, OUIJA BOARD (lyric change as is usual on this tour: no S.T.E.V.E.N. - bit)
"Born and raised in Skipton, would you say hello to Boz Boorer. Would you say hello to Solomon Walker. Or even to Matthew Walker. On the keyboard is Gustavo Manzur. And here we have Jesse Tobias. And, what else?"
I KNOW IT'S OVER (intensely sung & sung along. slight lyric change: "if you're so funny then why are you on your own tonight - answer?" Another slight change: the 6th "mother" at the end is changed to "mama")
"Sometimes I wish it wasn't the case, but Action is my middle name."
ACTION IS MY MIDDLE NAME
"We would now like to do a song that goes exactly like this."
SPEEDWAY (lyric change: "until this ugly mouth gets shut good and proper". as in Stoke, there's a long pause right after this before the final section - a crowd surfer chooses this moment to crash face first over the barrier.)
SATELLITE OF LOVE (lyric changes: "I cannot stand tv", "I cannot stand the tv", "any day but Thursday" & finally "I cannot stand George Alagiah!")
ALMA MATTERS (lyric change: "to destroy my own way")
"Thank you. I never understood the War of the Roses - Lancashire, Yorkshire, Lancashire, Yorkshire. People are the same everywhere."
PEOPLE ARE THE SAME EVERYWHERE (on "the biggest mistake of all" he pointed to himself)
"Thank you."
THERE IS A LIGHT THAT NEVER GOES OUT (ad lib after the 2nd "kills the both of us": "who cares?" lots of singing along, most of it out of key...)
EVERYDAY IS LIKE SUNDAY (huge singalong)
"Now, if you oppose cruelty and you are pro-democracy then it naturally follows that you cannot stand the British so-called royal family. Obviously, we all know that William and Kate are thick as pig shit. And we all know that Charles and his wife Camel [sic] are professional benefit scroungers. But ....(? inaudible) because we don't live in a democracy and the worst culprit of all, the cruelest of all is the dear, sweet, little, gentle queen herself who year after year authorizes the entrapment and the deaths of hundreds of Canadian brown bears. Such is the sweetness of the queen of England .... (? inaudible). And I'm sure that the Canadian brown bears will heave a collective sigh of relief the day that the wonderful little old woman drops dead."
MEAT IS MURDER
FIRST OF THE GANG TO DIE

encore: PANIC
"God bless you. Thank you."

exit: Death (Klaus Nomi)

jeans, shirt, jacket. 3 or 4 shirt changes, none thrown.
start: 20.53. finish: 22.15. excellent. as usual.

same as grimsby but no TCM (replaced by panic) as an encore, and no 'one day goodbye will be farewell' which is a shame.
all 3 new songs were played and received well i thought, action being the most popular.

ODGBWBF is possibly the one song I get most excited about seeing at a Morrissey gig now....such an intense and jaw dropping performance/delivery.

Edit: sorry, jaw dropping song that is played live.....only seals perform....

YOU'RE THE ONE FOR ME, FATTY (lyric change: "Oh Battersea, some hope & then despair")
"Thank you."
YOU HAVE KILLED ME (lyric change: "who am I that I come to be standing up here?")
"We have travelled all the way from Margaret Row's (???) house, in Leeds, to see you tonight. And err what a lovely sight you are."
THE KID'S A LOOKER
"Thank you."
I'M THROWING MY ARMS AROUND PARIS (lyric change: "in the absence of your smiling face I snag all over the place")
(During Paris arms are indeed thrown: there's a fight down the mid-front - 2 people are expelled, 1 of which unfairly possibly. Ugly.)
OUIJA BOARD, OUIJA BOARD (lyric change as is usual on this tour: no S.T.E.V.E.N. - bit)
"Born and raised in Skipton, would you say hello to Boz Boorer. Would you say hello to Solomon Walker. Or even to Matthew Walker. On the keyboard is Gustavo Manzur. And here we have Jesse Tobias. And, what else?"
I KNOW IT'S OVER (intensely sung & sung along. slight lyric change: "if you're so funny then why are you on your own tonight - answer?" Another slight change: the 6th "mother" at the end is changed to "mama")
ACTION IS MY MIDDLE NAME
SPEEDWAY (lyric change: "until this ugly mouth gets shut good and proper". as in Stoke, there's a long pause right after this before the final section - a crowd surfer chooses this moment to crash face first over the barrier.)
SATELLITE OF LOVE (lyric changes: "I cannot stand tv", "I cannot stand the tv", "any day but Thursday" & finally "I cannot stand George Alagiah!")
"Thank you. I never understood the War of the Roses - Lancashire, Yorkshire, Lancashire, Yorkshire. People are the same everywhere."
PEOPLE ARE THE SAME EVERYWHERE (on "the biggest mistake of all" he pointed to himself)
"Thank you."
THERE IS A LIGHT THAT NEVER GOES OUT (ad lib after the 2nd "kills the both of us": "who cares?" lots of singing along, most of it out of key...)
"Now, if you oppose cruelty and you are pro-democracy then it naturally follows that you cannot stand the British so-called royal family. Obviously, we all know that William and Kate are thick as pig shit. And we all know that Charles and his wife Camel [sic] are professional benefit scroungers. But ....(? inaudible) because we don't live in a democracy and the worst culprit of all, the cruelest of all is the dear, sweet, little, gentle queen herself who year after year authorizes the entrapment and the deaths of hundreds of Canadian brown bears. Such is the sweetness of the queen of England .... (? inaudible). And I'm sure that the Canadian brown bears will heave a collective sigh of relief the day that the wonderful little old woman drops dead."
MEAT IS MURDER
FIRST OF THE GANG TO DIE

Loving the short, snappy and concise summaries. Excellent stuff.

Fantastic gig, Morrisey's voice was amazing, gallery might well have been dead but it certainly wasn't dead on the floor! There Is A Light, Everyday Is Like Sunday & First of the Gang were my favourite three tonight, although I thought everything he did was brilliant! Love him!

Support band on the other hand were bloody awful and 7 songs was TOO MUCH!

"Thank you."
THE KID'S A LOOKER
"Thank you."
ACTION IS MY MIDDLE NAME
"Thank you."
MEAT IS MURDER
FIRST OF THE GANG TO DIE

a perfect post. thank you.

It was a really wonderful show tonight, imho. M in great form and a great mood. Crowd was as good as Stoke. Sang along a bit more, I think. Got to watch from the balcony today, what a sight to see so many people jumping in unison and hearing everyone's singing voice carry up to the roof!

Setlists were tossed/flown in paper airplanes out to the audience afterwards, so that means we got the full show, which was lucky because some bloke in a green shirt who went over the front barrier near the end took advantage of M reaching his hand out to him and hurt him. It took three or four security to get him off, then M walked back and faced upstage in front of the drums and shook his hand out and was obviously hurt then walked off. The band jammed to the rest of the song then also walked off. Thank God it was just the encore after and they came back on to finish the show with Panic (as mentioned before). I think I saw a plaster on one of M's fingers (soak that hand in cold water tonight, M!) It would be nice if fans would just chill and be content with a high-five like with Iggy. Let the man have his hand back, Thank you very much!

In any case, back to the show. The audience was great, and M's great mood was apparent with his fun body language. Others around me and I couldn't stop giggling, it was very cute. At one point mid-show, totally drenched in his yellow button-down shirt (black lining alongside the buttons), he tugged open his collar with both hands as if he couldn't wait to rip it off his chest. It ended up looking very seductive as well :D. After enough tugging and sweating, he did go back and came out in (if I remember correctly) a dark navy button-down shirt, which matched the aqua blue t-shirts of the band very well (hope someone can chime in on what the design and/or text on their t-shirts were).

Music-wise, I must correct (now that I could see from above) that the Shoplifters guitar interlude is most awesomely played by Boz. And the audience sang along again (lah-deh daahhh-deh, deh-dahh, deh-dahhhh... Love It!!) and Jesse does play the Ouija outro (did some cool noodling and whammy bar stuff today... sorry I'm not a guitarist, best way I can describe it).

Before they appeared on stage, the latter third of The Operation featured some cool red lights blinking fast in sequence across the stage. Looked like traffic lights and went really well with the tire shred/ drifting sound coming at the end of that drum solo, like turning in a car and seeing red lights flash before your eyes.

I Want the One I Can't Have... Moz shakin' his groove thang with the tambourine, great energy and start to the show. Gustavo also supported with a second tambourine from the keyboard area. The whole band rocked (okay, well, the entire show).

Fatty - everyone jumping and singing. Great spirits in the house.

You Have Killed Me - surprising mass singalong. I don't know if any Ringleader songs have ever gotten this much love. It was great.

I Know It's Over - M sang really well again, very touching especially the end and the crowd singing so strongly in support was what made me tear up tonight.

There Is a Light - also got a great singalong.

Everyday Is Like Sunday - I think it was this song that had such a strong group voice that M basically road on the wave of it and listened to the audience sing, interacting with us. It was great. He even prodded on for more when the level dropped. He knew we knew the song.

Irish Blood, English Heart - very touching that the entire house sang, perhaps being in the North helps? I remember the London Roundhouse shows when people were shy on how to approach it at first and then by the second and third shows totally warmed up to it.

Action Is My Middle Name - some funny banter before, something like 'unfortunately my middle name is Action' or something. Then a great rendition of the song.

People Are the Same Everywhere or Kids a Looker (hmm, can't remember which now) - the intro really rocks and I think M was really noticing how tight the band were and then jumped in a couple words in. One of the great things about live shows, especially M's, is that it's so human. You can see a song grow with him and the band. I really felt a New York Dolls-ish quality to the song tonight, both melody and accompaniment. And I think I understood the meaning better too (or just my own interpretation), about all those folks who go for American Idol or the X-Factor. The "la-lah's" are those folks standing on the stage trying to sing and be a star, being judged and probably not saying much to the world (totally just my interpretation connecting previous articles where M has commented on those shows).

Sorry I don't remember how the band were intro'd.

Solomon came up and rocked out during I think First of the Gang. They didn't do One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell tonight. I loved whenever the band all came forward and rocked out. Boz came up and kept us going to keep singing along when M left the stage after his hand got hurt.

Meat Is Murder done very well again, tonight I noticed the sad footage of the cow being prodded or branded from within the cage, obviously suffering. After stepping offstage, M came back and watched the last third or so with us, sitting crouched and facing upstage towards the screen. The lights blared bright at the audience at a couple points, asking us to perhaps symbolically wake up and become aware and more compassionate about the treatment of animals. With the bear comment preceding the song (mentioned previously, Thank you) M took the perspective of the Canadian brown bear and quipped that they would like their life but the Queen says her soldiers need hats. Time to go synthetic on that one, methinks.

First of the Gang - Funny thing that what picks up the pace and the mood after Meat Is Murder was this song. Made me think how only Moz fans would understand how 2 songs about death are so different. Mortality is in nearly every song and somehow M's songs help us deal with its reality in our lives, imho.

At the end of the Panic encore - Boz balanced his guitar on one hand and Solomon tossed his bass to the floor face down where low bass feedback continued to ring as the band threw out the setlists and plectrums (guitar picks) and exited. The feedback kept going until the amplifier was turned off by the crew and the lights came up.

The last detail I can recall (sorry none of this is in chronological order) is M's banter about coming to the venue from Mary Barton's (??) (someone please chime in or correct that).

And that's my two-pence.

Rock on, Middlesbrough... :guitar:
romeogirl

Thank you tons, The Smiths Indeed. You have the more objective account of the night methinks! :thumb:

And sendmethepillow, oh yes the support band were called the Heartbreakers(?). I thought they were decent. People around me cheered them on. Well, maybe they're not for everyone.

Cheers,
romeogirl

To the short balding man in front of me who felt the need to hold his camera up the entire gig to either take shaky pictures or pointless segments of videos, you sir are a twat! You spent more time looking down changing camera settings than you did watching moz and I only saw you clap twice. Please don't post your sad video clips on this site noone will thank you for them!

TSI - well done! I love the informative summaries! Thank you! How on earth do you remember it all?

Where was Tony the Pony? I heard it in the sound check!

In the all time list of worst Morrissey songs every.

Number 2: Tony the Pony
- More like 'take a free ride on' couldn't be half-arsed to write a B-Side

Number 1: Girl Least Likely To
- it's like the ultimate run on sentence

"Thank you."
THE KID'S A LOOKER
"Thank you."
ACTION IS MY MIDDLE NAME
"Thank you."
MEAT IS MURDER
FIRST OF THE GANG TO DIE

great revieuw, thanks Smiths Indeed

:thumb:

It was a really wonderful show tonight, imho. M in great form and a great mood. Crowd was as good as Stoke. Sang along a bit more, I think. Got to watch from the balcony today, what a sight to see so many people jumping in unison and hearing everyone's singing voice carry up to the roof!

Setlists were tossed/flown in paper airplanes out to the audience afterwards, so that means we got the full show, which was lucky because some bloke in a green shirt who went over the front barrier near the end took advantage of M reaching his hand out to him and hurt him. It took three or four security to get him off, then M walked back and faced upstage in front of the drums and shook his hand out and was obviously hurt then walked off. The band jammed to the rest of the song then also walked off. Thank God it was just the encore after and they came back on to finish the show with Panic (as mentioned before). I think I saw a plaster on one of M's fingers (soak that hand in cold water tonight, M!) It would be nice if fans would just chill and be content with a high-five like with Iggy. Let the man have his hand back, Thank you very much!

In any case, back to the show. The audience was great, and M's great mood was apparent with his fun body language. Others around me and I couldn't stop giggling, it was very cute. At one point mid-show, totally drenched in his yellow button-down shirt (black lining alongside the buttons), he tugged open his collar with both hands as if he couldn't wait to rip it off his chest. It ended up looking very seductive as well :D. After enough tugging and sweating, he did go back and came out in (if I remember correctly) a dark navy button-down shirt, which matched the aqua blue t-shirts of the band very well (hope someone can chime in on what the design and/or text on their t-shirts were).

Music-wise, I must correct (now that I could see from above) that the Shoplifters guitar interlude is most awesomely played by Boz. And the audience sang along again (lah-deh daahhh-deh, deh-dahh, deh-dahhhh... Love It!!) and Jesse does play the Ouija outro (did some cool noodling and whammy bar stuff today... sorry I'm not a guitarist, best way I can describe it).

Before they appeared on stage, the latter third of The Operation featured some cool red lights blinking fast in sequence across the stage. Looked like traffic lights and went really well with the tire shred/ drifting sound coming at the end of that drum solo, like turning in a car and seeing red lights flash before your eyes.

I Want the One I Can't Have... Moz shakin' his groove thang with the tambourine, great energy and start to the show. Gustavo also supported with a second tambourine from the keyboard area. The whole band rocked (okay, well, the entire show).

You Have Killed Me - surprising mass singalong. I don't know if any Ringleader songs have ever gotten this much love. It was great.

I Know It's Over - M sang really well again, very touching especially the end and the crowd singing so strongly in support was what made me tear up tonight.

Everyday Is Like Sunday - I think it was this song that had such a strong group voice that M basically road on the wave of it and listened to the audience sing, interacting with us. It was great. He even prodded on for more when the level dropped. He knew we knew the song.

Irish Blood, English Heart - very touching that the entire house sang, perhaps being in the North helps? I remember the London Roundhouse shows when people were shy on how to approach it at first and then by the second and third shows totally warmed up to it.

Action Is My Middle Name - some funny banter before, something like 'unfortunately my middle name is Action' or something. Then a great rendition of the song.

People Are the Same Everywhere or Kids a Looker (hmm, can't remember which now) - the intro really rocks and I think M was really noticing how tight the band were and then jumped in a couple words in. One of the great things about live shows, especially M's, is that it's so human. You can see a song grow with him and the band. I really felt a New York Dolls-ish quality to the song tonight, both melody and accompaniment. And I think I understood the meaning better too (or just my own interpretation), about all those folks who go for American Idol or the X-Factor. The "la-lah's" are those folks standing on the stage trying to sing and be a star, being judged and probably not saying much to the world (totally just my interpretation connecting previous articles where M has commented on those shows).

Solomon came up and rocked out during I think First of the Gang. They didn't do One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell tonight. I loved whenever the band all came forward and rocked out. Boz came up and kept us going to keep singing along when M left the stage after his hand got hurt.

Meat Is Murder done very well again, tonight I noticed the sad footage of the cow being prodded or branded from within the cage, obviously suffering. After stepping offstage, M came back and watched the last third or so with us, sitting crouched and facing upstage towards the screen. The lights blared bright at the audience at a couple points, asking us to perhaps symbolically wake up and become aware and more compassionate about the treatment of animals. With the bear comment preceding the song (mentioned previously, Thank you) M took the perspective of the Canadian brown bear and quipped that they would like their life but the Queen says her soldiers need hats. Time to go synthetic on that one, methinks.

First of the Gang - Funny thing that what picks up the pace and the mood after Meat Is Murder was this song. Made me think how only Moz fans would understand how 2 songs about death are so different. Mortality is in nearly every song and somehow M's songs help us deal with its reality in our lives, imho.

At the end of the Panic encore - Boz balanced his guitar on one hand and Solomon tossed his bass to the floor face down where low bass feedback continued to ring as the band threw out the setlists and plectrums (guitar picks) and exited. The feedback kept going until the amplifier was turned off by the crew and the lights came up.

The last detail I can recall (sorry none of this is in chronological order) is M's banter about coming to the venue from Mary Barton's (??) (someone please chime in or correct that).

And that's my two-pence.

romeogirl

also again a great comment, and revieuw of the gig

thanks, romeogirl

:thumb:

Loved it even though couldn't see f*** all from side balcony. Much better atmos than Plymouth balcony believe me!

Last Moz date on this tour for me!

Roll on a new album

loved 'panic' at the end, great to hear that live, also the new songs 'action', and 'people are the same', 2 top songs, not keen on 'the kid's a looker', if that's a b side then ....fair enough

And that's my two-pence.

romeogirl

Great posting.

And I think I understood the meaning better too (or just my own interpretation), about all those folks who go for American Idol or the X-Factor. The "la-lah's" are those folks standing on the stage trying to sing and be a star, being judged and probably not saying much to the world (totally just my interpretation connecting previous articles where M has commented on those shows).

Yeah that was exactly my thinking....as if it's supposed to be incessant and repetitive. Although it's still the song of the three newies that I'm yet to fully warm to. It's alright, but it may take a little longer. No doubt hearing it live will be a better indication.

Thank you tons, The Smiths Indeed. You have the more objective account of the night methinks! :thumb:

And sendmethepillow, oh yes the support band were called the Heartbreakers(?). I thought they were decent. People around me cheered them on. Well, maybe they're not for everyone.

Cheers,
romeogirl

MARY BARTON? ANY RELATION TO JOEY BARTON PERHAPS?

I came on here to recommend the other site. You seem to question my intellectual capacity, but one glance at your spelling and grammar leaves you in no position to do so. Your scathing wit is positively Wildean.

And you're here again... Stay on your other site!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom