Leeds - Academy (July 7, 2011) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in. Beware of anonymous set list trolls!

Set List:

I Want The One I Can't Have / You're The One For Me, Fatty / Irish Blood, English Heart / Shoplifters Of The World Unite / You Have Killed Me / The Kid's A Looker / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Ouija Board, Ouija Board / I Know It's Over / Action Is My Middle Name / Speedway / Satellite Of Love / Alma Matters / People Are The Same Everywhere / There Is A Light That Never Goes Out / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Meat is Murder / First Of The Gang To Die // Panic

set list provided by dan the man and The Smiths Indeed

Last edited:
Really great night, better than Grimsby for me. I Know It's Over left me with Goose Bumps, Beautiful. EILS was a proper sing-a-long version. 2 Good reviews from The Smiths Indeed and Romeogirl. :thumb:

ODGBWBF is possibly the one song I get most excited about seeing at a Morrissey gig now....such an intense and jaw dropping performance/delivery.

Edit: sorry, jaw dropping song that is played live.....only seals perform....

One Day Goodbye WIll Be Farewell is a Morrissey-by-numbers dirge! He had five or six great songs on YOR and you choose one of the dirges and label it jaw-dropping. The idiocy never ceases to amaze.

I don't know why folk are saying the balcony was dead. I was up there at the top and people were up, singing, dancing etc. I've been to a lot worse gigs on the balcony, York for one the other week - only a handful of folk stood up, the others with an occasional toe tap.

I've been to around 9 Moz gigs now (I know thats a low number compared to a lot of people on here) but its one of the best, if not the best, atmospheres I've been in. EDILS and TIALTNGO were massive singalongs. Enjoyed Fatty and I love Alma Matters live - I think the band have nailed it.

I thought the over-eager one who nearly took his arm off had spoiled an encore for the rest of us - I was surpised he came back out.

Yes he didn't seem that chatty, maybe a little tired, but all in all a great night.

Had a break-through moment at Leeds Academy. Strange. I thought, "what the f*** is Jesse doing showering this Smiths classic with random power cords?" I was quite angry. Then I realised I'd missed my morning medications. Silly old Mozza. Had noticed from perusing the so-low place that someone had spotted me swallowing a tablet on stage at a recent gig. So instead I gulped it down back-stage with a flute of Bolly between songs. That's better. I felt mellower second half, and Jesse's playing sounded marvelous. The Bolly doesn't help with the old reflux-induced belching, of course. But the voice held up manfully.

As I wandered from the stage post-show in the lonely half-light, it occurred to me quite suddenly that if only everyone else would seek pharmacological help for their mental problems, the fans would be happy, Jesse's playing would get the credit it deserves, and I'd stand more than a snowflake's chance in Hell of getting a decent review for my next album... The world may be mad, but at least I'm here, making music with my mesmerising band. Unlike you, incidentally.

Lovely overcast sky today (8th).

Morrissey

www.morrisseysworld.blogspot.com

Top night all round - marred only by Jesse murdering the guitar solo during Fatty. The band almost made ammends by dropping TCM and making a excellent attempt at Panic :)

Dave

Top night all round - marred only by Jesse murdering the guitar solo during Fatty. The band almost made ammends by dropping TCM and making a excellent attempt at Panic :)

Dave

If Moz fans would have some clarity and escape the fog of their Morrissey love, they would clearly see that Jesse murders everything.

I agree that there are some real haters on this site but not as many as may appear. Constructive criticism and polite opinion is fine. Criticizing respectfully isn't wrong.

I don't think people have any problem with Morrissey or his voice or lyrics or stage performance. I don't think most people have a problem with Boz or the Walker brothers or Gustavo.

It's Jesse Tobias who is at the heart of the problem. Jesse is truly a detraction in his music writing and very much with his guitar playing.

If Jesse were replaced with someone better, the difference would be night and day. If people like the Moz shows now, they'd be stunned at how much better it all would be with someone more qualified on guitar. Someone more talented and expansive in sound quality, tone and style.

It's just very frustrating to have someone as legendary and iconic as Morrissey with Jesse Tobias on guitar.

It's like putting a Hyundai engine in a Ferrari. Yeah, it'll get you around but you always think it should be much more.

Not as good as Grimsby from my pov, but a pretty good show overall. Security were lovely and even the weather took pity on the queue after lunch.

Had a terrific view from the Boz-side front of the balcony last night *waves to Amy*. The balcony crowd were a little slow warming up but once we got going it was fine. Looked rough in the pit so I think I chose the right night to choose upstairs - watched a scrap in the crowd few rows back, and a kerfuffle in the VIP section! Dearie me. Was also next to some family members of the the support band who were giving it loads for their boys and having a great time. :)

We were lucky to get an encore, I thought, after Mr Greedy Green Shirt had to be manually removed from Morrissey.

Fatty.... yeah, I'd've liked a lighter touch to the solo, too, but as Dave 2006 said, Panic was a corker. Please put the "Bom-bom-bom" backing vocals back into "Satellite of Love". It's not nearly as much fun without and anyone over 45 will be singing them from the crowd anyway. (Here endeth Auntie Kate's advice column for pop stars.)

There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

Not great quality I'm afraid but my little camera tried its best!
Will upload Everyday Is Like Sunday later

Last edited by a moderator:
Just want send an enormous THANK YOU to you and others like you for posting these diligent and exhaustive chronicles of the shows. This is why I come to this site!

where do i start had a great night fantastic gig the 02 is a great place moz as a right to look tierd he's only human afterall and when i finally got home this morning about 7am work was the last thing on my mind enjoyed myself even bumped into a guy who sold me a ticket on last years swords gig at the same venue still not come round just wanted to say hi to everyone and hope to see you all again someday .col the one with bits of fingers missing

"One Day Goodbye WIll Be Farewell is a Morrissey-by-numbers dirge! He had five or six great songs on YOR and you choose one of the dirges and label it jaw-dropping. The idiocy never ceases to amaze."

Arsehole.

Leeds set list & quotations:
...ALMA MATTERS (lyric change: "to destroy my own way")
"Thank you. I never understood the War of the Roses - Lancashire, Yorkshire, Lancashire, Yorkshire. People are the same everywhere.".... excellent. as usual.

:D

There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

Not great quality I'm afraid but my little camera tried its best!
Will upload Everyday Is Like Sunday later

Your little camera did a really good job. :sweet:

Someone else posted a beautiful and quite close high res version of EDILS on youtube, to save you the trouble.

Also thank you to the detailed reviewers, so helpful.

One Day Goodbye WIll Be Farewell is a Morrissey-by-numbers dirge! He had five or six great songs on YOR and you choose one of the dirges and label it jaw-dropping. The idiocy never ceases to amaze.

All a matter of a opinion, so no need for twattisms like "the idiocy never ceases to amaze". You can do better.

backinnyc2010's videos on youtube are amazing. I do not have a youtube account, so backinnyc2010 if you are reading this, which camera did you use?

I still have "Tony the Pony" in my top 5 Moz songs, no matter what some of you dolts think of it (sadly, Moz doesn't seem to like it either. Oh well.)

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom