Plymouth - Pavilions (June 30, 2011) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in. Beware of anonymous set list trolls!

Set List:

I Want The One I Can't Have / You're The One For Me, Fatty / You Have Killed Me / Shoplifters Of The World Unite / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Ouija Board, Ouija Board / Irish Blood, English Heart / Meat is Murder / Everyday Is Like Sunday / There Is A Light That Never Goes Out / Action Is My Middle Name / Alma Matters / Speedway (abandoned) / People Are The Same Everywhere / One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell / Satellite Of Love / I Know It's Over / First Of The Gang To Die // This Charming Man

set list provided by mozzalini999

Meat banned from Plymouth Pavilions after request by Morrissey - Plymouth Herald

Last edited:
This was my first Morrissey gig, and it was fantastic. The best night of my life so far! We (my dad and I) were in the 4th row from the front to start with, but as soon as Morrissey came on stage it all went a bit manic and rows weren't really existent. There was a bit of violence in the middle, which was irritating, but the music was fantastic and the atmosphere was amazing. I got elbowed and kicked by crowd-surfers a few times, and a lot of beer over me! XD It's a shame he didn't finish Speedway, but otherwise it was, IMO, unfaulted. I Know It's Over was beautiful, even if there was a bit of shoving! Overall, great night, and I hope to have the honour of seeing him more. - Chloe

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Moz is the Judy Garland de nos jours. Like JG, he always works better in small venues where there's a better connection with the audience; in terms of performance, "illness cancellations" and abandoning songs and gigs, he's nowhere near as unreliable as JG (but hey, there's still time!); and there's always a very real sense that he's "singing his life" as she always did. JG fiercely divided opinion - detractors and frequently disappointed fans alike calling her a self-absorbed, self-indulgent diva whose finest work was behind her, and yet her concerts (which she was still giving until only a few weeks before she died) always sold out in minutes; sounds familiar? JG was lauded by many of her peers for conveying her emotions and state of mind through her singing, rather than adopting the slick, detached approach of many of her contemporaries. I've always felt that Morrissey is exactly the same: I've seen Bowie many times, but that cool, calculated "same every night" artfulness simply doesn't engage in the same way that Morrissey's more "real" unpredictability does. Listen to bootlegs of JG and hear her mood alter dramatically from show to show - sometimes playful, chatty, funny, romantic, and at other times terse, perfunctory, even aggressive. Sinatra and Tony Bennett both referred to JG as "the world's greatest entertainer"; that was then and Morrissey is now.
Can't claim to be a great JG fan but i have been enjoying the "Live At Carnegie Hall" cd this week so i enjoyed your take on this !

but the other person isn't the singer kristeen is just because she makes music and other people don't it doesn't mean its alright to make shit music, the person wasn't claiming to be better, there not making music, she is.

"YOU SUCK" - grow up.

(translation needed)

Kristeen is an amazing talent. She has a lot of class and style. I think she's massively underated
both here in the UK and overseas. Still, I must not be the only one that thinks
that in the years ahead she will become one of the greats. She has an amazing style on the piano. Infact, I wish she could play piano for me just to listen to the quality and timekeeping...

Just as Mary Wilson, Mo Tucker, Patti Smth, Alison Moyet, Andrea Corr and Kirsty MacColl have all been legends
and talented gems in there own lifetimes. They have all worked there way upwards from the very bottom. And with a
fair share of flack, that gave them all strength to go onwards and upwards, as they say.

Best,

Hazard.

People are the same was definitely not played. Shame, cos I was looking forward to hearing it in the flesh.

(translation needed)

I cannot sing either but at least I know and stay away from a microphone and do not try to make a living out of torturing others with my noise.

People are the same was definitely not played. Shame, cos I was looking forward to hearing it in the flesh.

Amazing, because when I figured out that he sings the song about the knife that slits, I thought yesterday that he needs to drop this song and the song about the letters board.

This was my second Morrissey concert, but the first proper one seeing as the first was the doomed Swindon date a few years back, but the man didn't disappoint! The set was sublime, highlights being for me Alma Matters, I Want the One I Can't Have and I Know It's Over - which I swore to myself I wouldn't cry at, but just couldn't quite refrain. An unforgettable night for me (even if I did have to stay in Plymouth), met some lovely people in the queue and was completely blown away by the performance, although I should point out that I was considerably less impressed with kristeen young, whose name I have not begun with capital letters for a reason. Also, was devastated he scrapped Speedway, especially after starting it, but this really was a minor mishap in the end, especially after receiving a handshake from Boz. Let's hope Moz doesn't pack it in quite yet, I think we'd all like the chance to see him at least once more sfter this tour's done.

People Are The Same was definitely played, it was the first song after Speedway was stopped.

I thought it was a great gig, can not understand why it took so long to sell out, great venue, sound a bit dodgy at times but a great atmosphere, and like some one else mentioned, it was like being surrounded by a load of your mates.
Kristeen Young, not my cup of tea I am afraid, like the other person, I have been subjected to that noise three times and I still don't get it. We have a piano at home, and it reminded me of when my kids were little, they would sit at the piano and bash the hell out it, six keys at once, that combined with a flock of nesting seagulls just about sums it up. Perhaps I am Jealous, but not of the voice... or her looks come to think of it.
On to the main event, great set, Morrissey looked and sounded really well, hopefully he gets the record deal and can tour with the new album, hopefully more venues in the South, bring it on. Favourite moment, finally getting in front of this man mountain, and surging towards the front during Irish Blood English Heart, managed to hold my ground and stayed near the front for the rest of the gig.
Obviously some people with plenty of money in Plymouth, lots of beer being thrown....what a waste.

I don't think Kristeen Young's cause was helped by the amplification level of her organ which drowned out her voice. I saw her supporting Morrissey in 2006 and that was much better. Her albums sound much better but last night sounded like a musical car crash. I like the song Fanstasic Failure though perhaps summing up how she sounded overall!

I travelled down from London to see the gig and had a great time. I was expecting to experience the gig on my own but got chatting to a few people beforehand in Sippers.

This was my second Morrissey concert, but the first proper one seeing as the first was the doomed Swindon date a few years back, ......

Me too, despite following him since the 80's!!!

All I can say is, it was well worth the wait. Fantastic set and so close to the maestro himself! Only second row back and very close to the speakers. My ears are still ringing now!

What a great night with Morrissey in Plymouth!
It was aweinspiring to be near the man with such a grateful and welcoming crowd and there is a good chance that just maybe Mozza enjoyed himself too.
Was it just me or were others wiping tears from their eyes for 1/3 of the show; such emotion - words and experience...

the gig was f**king awesome...my 14th gig inc. Smiths and was up there in the top 5...great atmosphere, fantastic crowd, a reet good sing along with a great set, sound a bit off (hall acoustics) from where I was 3 rows back, center, I didn't care too much
'I know it's over' was the highlight for me...just hope it's not a message from Moz, as I'm sure he won't announce a farewell tour, he will just stop...hope this is not the end, the set list was very 'greatest hits'....hope not

It's a shame, It's a shame
But Moz's musicians sound the same EVERYWHERE
And the glory of the pre southpaw story can be heard live NOWHERE
In our loveless nation
We're all in a rush
To hear Mozzer new songs and when we hear them
We wonder why we were in such a rush
YEAH, YEAHYEAHYEAH

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom