Glastonbury - Glastonbury Festival 2011 (June 24, 2011) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

I Want The One I Can't Have / First Of The Gang To Die / You Have Killed Me / Shoplifters Of The World Unite / Everyday Is Like Sunday / There Is A Light That Never Goes Out / Alma Matters / People Are The Same Everywhere / One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell / Action Is My Middle Name / Satellite Of Love / Meat is Murder / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Irish Blood, English Heart / This Charming Man

Last edited:
There are a few Smiths performances from the 80s on YouTube (Old Grey Whistle Test, The Tube) and I would have Marr et al anyday over the backing band he has now. But it's not an option and if it were to transpire (it won't) then it wouldn't match expectations anyway.

He now tours with an effiicient, play it by numbers backing band who are more than able to provide the tempo to match Morrissey's often slower renditions of Smiths songs. As many in the crowd were toddlers (or not even born!) in the 80s they don't know anything different to compare it with.

Nice to see Moz on telly. He was fabulous, although his voice seemed not as good as it normally is and he looked a bit drunk. Looks like he needed some Dutch courage!

Maybe he's taking medication. Just watched recording and at the end of Alma Matters he fumbles with his waistband/bottom of shirt and then takes something out, and after he's introduced People are the same quickly pops something into his mouth. Perhaps it's a tictac!

Maybe he's taking medication. Just watched recording and at the end of Alma Matters he fumbles with his waistband/bottom of shirt and then takes something out, and after he's introduced People are the same quickly pops something into his mouth. Perhaps it's a tictac!

Looks more like he had problems with his belt at the end of Alma Matters. You'd have tictac or medication in your pocket, where you can get it out less visibly.

I recognized the actor on the backdrop - Tony Franciosa - but couldn't work out the film at first. It is indeed Senilità (Careless) a 1962 italian film by Mauro Bolognini. Despite the name, Franciosa was brn in new York.

Why not open up membership of the 'gang' to 50% of the population?
Greatly increases the talent pool.
It would change the dynamic, why not?
Why wouldn't he write with a woman for goodness sake?
Why is this ridiculous -are you scared of women?

Oh God.

I wasn't saying that he shouldn't employ women. He should employ people based on their talent, not their gender. The idea that he should get anyone involved because of what they've got between their legs is f***ing ridiculous and I can't believe I've had to explain that to you.

His band and their songs are shit now and he needs to ditch them or retire. (Truth be told, I believe it's too late for him to redeem himself now, critically or commercially. I'd love him to prove me wrong, but I can't see it happening.) By all means, though, he should work with anybody, female or male, if they're up to the job of providing good material. The people he has around him can't do either and he's making himself a laughing stock now.

Oh God.

I wasn't saying that he shouldn't employ women. He should employ people based on their talent, not their gender. The idea that he should get anyone involved because of what they've got between their legs is f***ing ridiculous and I can't believe I've had to explain that to you.

His band and their songs are shit now and he needs to ditch them or retire. (Truth be told, I believe it's too late for him to redeem himself now, critically or commercially. I'd love him to prove me wrong, but I can't see it happening.) By all means, though, he should work with anybody, female or male, if they're up to the job of providing good material. The people he has around him can't do either and he's making himself a laughing stock now.

What an angry, angry ... man, I presume. The band dynamic changes. Bands like New Order and Go-betweens have written and spoke on this. As most of the criticism of the band is heaviness of touch, it would be good for the boy's club rockabilly mush they are serving up. Why not try? He needs to mix things up, get out his comfort zone, its worth trying. As one step. Men and women are different (and women aren't that scary, really).

Morrissey is not the problem. He's still sharp and in good voice. He also still writes compelling/interesting and enjoyable lyrics. It's just that his main guitarist, Jesse Tobias , is terrible. I wish people could imagine how much better the live show would be with a better player than Jesse.

Jesse is totally pedestrian. He has no dynamic, no soul, no "angle" on guitar. He just throws everything against the wall and hopes it sticks. His tonality is atrocious and he just can't cover the old stuff with any proper finesse and delicate touch. He's a wall of sound that just muddies everything up in to one giant mish-mash.

It's very frustrating to know that Morrissey can be so much more than he is, if Jesse left the band. It is truly time to move past Tobias and onto someone else. He's had his chance and it hasn't worked. Move on Moz.

What an angry, angry ... man, I presume.

Idiotic AND sexist. Brilliant.

As most of the criticism of the band is heaviness of touch, it would be good for the boy's club rockabilly mush they are serving up. Why not try? He needs to mix things up, get out his comfort zone, its worth trying. As one step. Men and women are different (and women aren't that scary, really).

No, women and men are not different. Even Steven (who isn't exactly reputed for his forward-looking political attitudes) recognised that fact about thirty years ago. His band aren't shit because of the fact that they're male; they're shit because their songs are one-dimensional and have no tunes. What's worse is that their abysmal standards are now mirrored in what passes for a standard lyric in a Morrissey song, these days.

Yes, he needs to put a new band together. We're agreed on that, but the gender composition of the band is immaterial.

What an angry, angry ... man, I presume. The band dynamic changes. Bands like New Order and Go-betweens have written and spoke on this. As most of the criticism of the band is heaviness of touch, it would be good for the boy's club rockabilly mush they are serving up. Why not try? He needs to mix things up, get out his comfort zone, its worth trying. As one step. Men and women are different (and women aren't that scary, really).

Also ..Gender, is not ' biologically sex' specific..... is it now? who's a girl and who's a boy?

May i ask, who is the set photograph in the background of, oh intelligent ones?

That outdated PC tripe.
You only have to have children of both sexes to know they are different.
And thats not a bad thing, at all.

That outdated PC tripe.
You only have to have children of both sexes to know they are different.
And thats not a bad thing, at all.

Have another two of both sexes and you'll see how different the four of them are.

Morrissey is not the problem. He's still sharp and in good voice. He also still writes compelling/interesting and enjoyable lyrics. It's just that his main guitarist, Jesse Tobias , is terrible. I wish people could imagine how much better the live show would be with a better player than Jesse.

Jesse is totally pedestrian. He has no dynamic, no soul, no "angle" on guitar. He just throws everything against the wall and hopes it sticks. His tonality is atrocious and he just can't cover the old stuff with any proper finesse and delicate touch. He's a wall of sound that just muddies everything up in to one giant mish-mash.

It's very frustrating to know that Morrissey can be so much more than he is, if Jesse left the band. It is truly time to move past Tobias and onto someone else. He's had his chance and it hasn't worked. Move on Moz.

Bloody hell. Looks like it's not Jesse's birthday anymore! :-/

Worth it all just for Meat is Murder - an arrangement that's powerful and still leaves me in tears. Great to have it being played at Glosto and on the BBC.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom