Glastonbury - Glastonbury Festival 2011 (June 24, 2011) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

I Want The One I Can't Have / First Of The Gang To Die / You Have Killed Me / Shoplifters Of The World Unite / Everyday Is Like Sunday / There Is A Light That Never Goes Out / Alma Matters / People Are The Same Everywhere / One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell / Action Is My Middle Name / Satellite Of Love / Meat is Murder / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Irish Blood, English Heart / This Charming Man

Last edited:
I though the voice was a bit throaty at times. Hope it's not a sign of a cancellation to come. William was also played according to setlist sites.

First 6 or 7 songs were great.

Did anyone actually see "William it was really nothing" played as the last track ????

I think someone just got the title mixed up with "This Charming Man" and it has become "fact".......I mean TCM has been the last song for the recent shows so why is Glasto be any different?

I could be wrong but Morrissey was knacked after 60 minutes and William is quite a jaunty number to play right at the end.

Please tell me if I am wrong :)

Anyone know what the backdrop was last night? William Shatner? I know Shatner made a few dodgy films in the 70's? Bloody loved it though, Moz will be the highlight of this years Glastonbury.

btw did Radiohead do that on purpose, to annoy him? They don't seem to mind if he's left with half a crowd, he must have looked for trouble (or disrespect) and found it? (If they didn't do it on purpose it's even worse...)

Watched the concert on BBC4 last night - not bad at all, but a few duff choices of tracks that were hardly going to get the festival goers dancing in the rain. Meat Is Murder was particularly a bad choice - a real plodding durge. Moz's voice was on fine form but the band were very ordinary. Please Moz, get some half-decent musicians behind you.

For the conspiracy theorists I have it on very good authority Radiohead have indeed been planning to deliberately sabotage a Morrissey gig for some years and were seen in Dunoon in their Camper Van just the other day, but failed to gain access to the venue.

I'd like to see fewer Smiths songs in the Morrissey set. Although he is up to it the band simply aren't, and it's not as if he hasn't got enough solo stuff to see him through. There are plenty of solo classics which rarely or never get an airing.

Someone mentioned hearing Morrissey doing Smiths numbers now has a karaoke feel, and I think that's a valid criticism, and certainly something that has struck me more than once. Perhaps it's a lack of passion, perhaps it is the clunky arrangements, but there's little magic. I can think of fifty solo tracks I'd rather hear than to suffer This Charming Man played by jumped up pantry boys any more.

For someone who wants to (rightly) leave the Smiths in the past where they belong Morrissey insists on performing CPR on the cadaver on an increasingly regular basis.

Just watched the set from BBC4. Great to see the Beeb devoting a whole hour to Moz, and thankfully no cut-aways to the witless Fearne Cotton. As for the performance, I thought it was bloody good. Thought his voice sounded a bit fragile on EILS but seemed strong enough on everything else. New tracks are growing on me (but only slowly), but MIM blew me away. Only 5 days til Plymouth and I'm more excited than ever. Just wish the gig was somewhere a little more intimate a la Hawick or Dunoon. Oh well, can't have everything.

Are you really in that much of a hurry that you have to abbreviate every song?

Meat is Murder was the highlight, so pleased he played it! Band were brilliant!

But does anyone know why the Meat is Murder video wasn't played behind him like it has been on the rest of the tour? Maybe Glasto, or the BBC, didn't allow it?

Are you really in that much of a hurry that you have to abbreviate every song?

Are you really that much of a bell-end that you feel the need for such pointless comments?

btw did Radiohead do that on purpose, to annoy him? They don't seem to mind if he's left with half a crowd, he must have looked for trouble (or disrespect) and found it? (If they didn't do it on purpose it's even worse...)

I can't be sure, but it's unlikely that people on the bill can dictate to organisers what time they play at, so no, I don't think Radiohead "did it on purpose".

I have to say, though, if I'd been there in front of the Pyramid Stage in the rain watching Morrissey's indefensibly dull performance and unfathomably bad set-list, I would've been f***ing incensed to discover that I could've been watching an amazing group instead. I hope Morrissey was/is suitably annoyed that people preferred to see Radiohead instead of him. For me, there would've been no competition if I'd been there.

Totally agree, living in Manchester I too saw the Smiths a number of times and as a 4 piece the sound was rather weak. It was only after the introduction of Craig Gannon into the live shows that the music gained a fuller sound. Anyones comments who did not see the Smiths live are not valid as you are in no position to compare them with Morrisseys sound today. In fact I thinks some of the recent renditions piss all over what the 4 piece Smiths delivered.

I am continually amazed by comments on this site which reflect the sentiment of the clearly pre written Guardian tosh. It is all too easy to compare the studio delicacy of the Smiths - an extensively produced sound let us remember - with the Morrissey live version. My view, as someone who actually saw the Smiths as a four and five piece, is that they too did not manage to recreate the subtelty of the studio recordings live, relying on youthful energy to (more than) paper the cracks. The Needham comment is a clear illustration of this. the version we heard tonight of Shoplifters.... far exceeds not only previous Morrissey versions - including the memorable Motherwell Civic Centre when the stage was invaded - but also the various Smiths versions which I had the privilidge to see. It is cheap and lazy journalism, coupled with rose tinted sentimentality, that leads to the type of ill informed comment we continue to see by those on the rise.

Boz needs to cut down on the pies, that's all I'll say.

Regarding the new material - I reckon there will be stronger tracks to come. He has said he has a lot of new material plus the first tracks aired pre-release of 'Refusal' were 'All you need is me' and 'Thats how people grow up' (weakest tracks on the album - a mon avis.).

Totally agree, living in Manchester I too saw the Smiths a number of times and as a 4 piece the sound was rather weak. It was only after the introduction of Craig Gannon into the live shows that the music gained a fuller sound. Anyones comments who did not see the Smiths live are not valid as you are in no position to compare them with Morrisseys sound today. In fact I thinks some of the recent renditions piss all over what the 4 piece Smiths delivered.

I saw The Smiths as a four-piece in early 1986 when Andy Rourke's heroin addiction was its worst (i.e. when they were arguably at their weakest as a live act) and they were still more impressive and more exciting to watch than what we witnessed last night.

Your loyalty to Steven is a joke.

I saw The Smiths as a four-piece in early 1986 when Andy Rourke's heroin addiction was its worst (i.e. when they were arguably at their weakest as a live act) and they were still more impressive and more exciting to watch than what we witnessed last night.

Your loyalty to Steven is a joke.

What?? I have no loyalty to anyone I was always impressed by what the Smiths as a group came uop with - Where in my comments do I show loyalty to Steven - I have simply moved on and am looking forward to Bradford on Moday night!

Fantastic. I don't know why, but I was surprised, and I think that is mainly because people on here have given Morrissey a bit of a bashing recently, especially with the new material. Regarding the new songs, I thought Moz did wise did well dropping 'The Kid's A Looker', although I do enjoy it when he sings "Oh, what the hell." I thought the new songs fitted the set brilliantly - they have really grown on me actually.

Everyday Is Like Sunday, Alma Matters, Action Is My Middle Name, Meat Is Murder and Irish Blood, English Heart - the brightest highlights for me. Not sure why he put himself down, but for me, as a fan, he did me proud. He's voice is wonderful and the band did some great playing.

Here's to Plymouth.

I'm still laughing into my Latte over the Morrisseysworld.blogspot review of the Glastonbury peformance. Had no idea Mozza was a Chicharitio fan, but it makes sense.

www.morrisseysworld.blogspot.com

Glastonbury itself was a bloody nightmare. The main stage was half-empty by the third song, as usual. Radiohead turned up unannounced (thanks lads) and stole the few remaining stragglers. By 'This Charming Man' I just kept trying to grab the camera bod's full attention, hoping he might forget to do his close ups of the audience, or lack thereof.

Still it wasn't all bad. I stood back for a moment in awe of Jesse's fretwork during 'Shoplifters.' His 'reinterpretation' of Marr's stale riff was rather trendy, in a kind of Pavement-esque way. Well, if Pavement can get away with making three albums before they've learned to play their instruments, then why not my band? Same old music press. One rule for Mozza, and a different rule for everybody else.

Titter, titter. I can't help but think the author of that site has nailed the real Mozza and his motivations.

Jesse just has to GO. It's mind boggling that he's in this band. He knows nothing except power chords and one tone. He detracts from the songs instead of adding to them. Throw in the fact that he can't write music to save his life. This Jesse Tobias shite has to end. ENOUGH already.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom