Glastonbury - Glastonbury Festival 2011 (June 24, 2011) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

I Want The One I Can't Have / First Of The Gang To Die / You Have Killed Me / Shoplifters Of The World Unite / Everyday Is Like Sunday / There Is A Light That Never Goes Out / Alma Matters / People Are The Same Everywhere / One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell / Action Is My Middle Name / Satellite Of Love / Meat is Murder / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Irish Blood, English Heart / This Charming Man

Last edited:
Not a fan of U2 at all but the difference between their's and Morrissey's sets was huge.

Morrissey plodding through the hits, tempo too slow on the majority of Smiths songs - rent-a-band in their tacky matching t-shirts, no personality, no vitality, no finese. Bono with his gang, of similar age, full of life, personality. Brilliant guitars, great bass lines and tight drumming - sound familiar?

Morrissey seems arrogant enough to think that he can just belt out any Smiths songs and it doesn't matter who provides the musical backing as it's his songs. But I'm afraid without Johnny & Andy, who created the Smiths sound, he just comes over as a tired and dated cabaret singer.

Great set, great performance. One thing irked me though - why on earth didn't Moz do the Subway Train intro to Everyday is Like Sunday? It's one of his best live set-pieces, and would have worked a treat at a big open-air festival like Glasto. It just seems to me a strange omission on Moz's part.

Morrissey has a richer timbre to his voice than previous times.
He could be better in his band selection, his voice deserves better.
U2 are plain awful.

- But I don't care, I enjoyed ever minute of it. Good set list + liked the backdrop and the quips about George Alligator and that twit Cameron. - The pleasure and privilege was mine and its probably the nearest I'll get to a live concert this year.

I didn't hear him say anything about George Alligator (Alagiah?) What did he say? Didn't he make a comment about him during the Guardian interview with Simon Armitage?

Dave

I didn't hear him say anything about George Alligator (Alagiah?) What did he say? Didn't he make a comment about him during the Guardian interview with Simon Armitage?

Dave

During Satellite of Love, the first time round he changed the lyric to "I cannot stand the TV" and the second time to "I cannot stand George Alagiah" (third rate BBC News anchor).

I think Moz may have won himself some new fans after that concert. Really looking forward to Dublin in July after seeing this!
A.C.T.O.N.

Yeah, new material that should not dare to ask any questions or voice academic knowledge that is not to the liking and within the canon of Morrissey's lovely fans who think they already own him.

During Satellite of Love, the first time round he changed the lyric to "I cannot stand the TV" and the second time to "I cannot stand George Alagiah" (third rate BBC News anchor).

Thanks - that completely passed me by last night. Wonder what he has got against GA?

Dave

Looks like there's no recorded trace of his in-between-songs comments anywhere. I guess there was nothing worth keeping for posterity...

Not a fan of U2 at all but the difference between their's and Morrissey's sets was huge.

Morrissey plodding through the hits, tempo too slow on the majority of Smiths songs - rent-a-band in their tacky matching t-shirts, no personality, no vitality, no finese. Bono with his gang, of similar age, full of life, personality. Brilliant guitars, great bass lines and tight drumming - sound familiar?

Morrissey seems arrogant enough to think that he can just belt out any Smiths songs and it doesn't matter who provides the musical backing as it's his songs. But I'm afraid without Johnny & Andy, who created the Smiths sound, he just comes over as a tired and dated cabaret singer.

All a matter of taste: personally I despise Bono's Messiah-like posturings and his formulaic soundalike songs that havent changed in nearly 30 years; I also never trust anyone who wears wraparound dark glasses all the time. Morrissey's set undeniably works better in small venues rather than open-air festivals (which he says himself he doesn't enjoy) where there's no possibility for artist/audience contact. But it's all a matter of subjectivity: your opinion is not "right" and neither is mine. I don't see any arrogance attached to the performance of Smiths songs: Moz wrote them and is perfectly entitled to sing them. And given the control he exerts over every detail of his work (backdrop, band outfits, record sleeve imagery) can you imagine that he says to Boz "Oh, just arrange the Smiths numbers any old how. I'm not really fussed..."? They only sound that way because Morrissey wants them to sound that way. And if you're not happy with that, well that's a whole other argument; but still remains a matter of personal taste.

Morrissey's Live Tour Journal 2011

23rd-24th June 2011

Went shopping in London for a nice new 'post-gig' shirt for the Joey meet up. Purchased some rather dashing cologne from Selfridges too. Popped into Pizza Hut in Groucho Marx spectacles with a tint, long overcoat and a tall hat. Don't judge me, I just adore those croutons with blue cheese sauce. Mmm. Piled my salad bowl half a mile high with the help of cucumber slices and carrot sticks round the side. Evil glance from a spotty kid in a Pizza Hut uniform. Bloody fascists. Found a bacon bit deep within my mountain of iceberg lettuce. Typical. The Pizza Hut staff aren't what they were five years ago, I have to say: I asked for three scoops of ice cream with my cookie dough dessert 'to share,' and they only gave me two. Greedy sods. No tip, chaps. Well, there is a global economic slow-down on at the moment, in case you hadn't noticed...

Spotted a chap who looked a little like Boz sitting under the KFC window on Oxford Street. Obviously not quite as portly as Boz, but the same haunted eyes and poverty-stricken demeanour. I did wonder if it might have been Boz senior. I have heard he's back out. Dropped a twenty pence coin into his cap, then realised it was a fifty. B*ggery. Paused and reflected, then strolled of knowing I'd done my bit for the day.

Glastonbury itself was a bloody nightmare. The main stage was half-empty by the third song, as usual. Radiohead turned up unannounced (thanks lads) and stole the few remaining stragglers. By 'This Charming Man' I just kept trying to grab the camera bod's full attention, hoping he might forget to do his close ups of the audience, or lack thereof.

Still it wasn't all bad. I stood back for a moment in awe of Jesse's fretwork during 'Shoplifters.' His 'reinterpretation' of Marr's stale riff was rather trendy, in a kind of Pavement-esque way. Well, if Pavement can get away with making three albums before they learned to play their instruments then why not little old Mozza? Same old music press. One rule for Mozza, and a different rule for everybody else.

I notice the Guardian were less than impressed by the gig. And Joyce has been whining again about the 'cover versions.' Here's news to you, Mikey Boy. If you take a 1968 Ferrari 250 GTO and put in some new struts, what happens? It remains a Ferrari 250 GTO - because it's got the chassis. It's the same with a pop group. If you take a classic group and substitute the bassist or drummer, it's still a classic pop band. How is the old Austin Montego coping with life in the 21st century by the way Joycey? Brakes haven't seized up again, I hope... they're so prone to that - the old Montegroes... I'd hate for something terrible to happen to you, old friend, like happened to poor Diana...

"Anonymous - Today, 08:56 AM Not a fan of U2 at all but the difference between their's and Morrissey's sets was huge.

Morrissey seems arrogant enough to think that he can just belt out any Smiths songs and it doesn't matter who provides the musical backing as it's his songs. But I'm afraid without Johnny & Andy, who created the Smiths sound, he just comes over as a tired and dated cabaret singer."

Oh f*ck off, why don't you? Nothing but whining on so-low. It's a good job I haven't glanced at that squalid site for three-and-a-half years now...

How was Joey? Oh dreadful. I told him I'd phone him, of course. But of course I won't. He has one of those terrible abrasive, offensively rouch Manchester accents. Still, Joey knows Smiffy, and Smiffy knows Rio, and Rio knows Javier Hernandez... so all's not lost, perhaps ;-)

Well, it's Saturday and I'm a good £70 000 richer than I was yesterday morning. Oh not bad for an evening's work. How much did you earn yesterday? Oh dear, I am sorry...

Just watching the BBC4 footage. Lovely stuff from Jesse. Golly, they're right about Boz though. He really does look like a fat c*nt in that t-shirt...

Morrissey

www.morrisseysworld.blogspot.com

This Morrissey performance was realy Fantastic.

Doing a great job Moz.

And please people stop compare Morrissey with U2 (hahahaha)

Last edited:
Morrissey did look tired and as the set went on I am sure he will have been glad of the rest he had during Meat Is Murder, when the backing band went completely OTT and resembled something from Spinal Tap.

Indeed the problem is that singer/band are just ever so slightly disjointed - the band provide the music and let Morrissey do the singing but they don't resemble a collective whole. Sure they are together on stage but to me they were like the cartoon band members from Gorillaz; playing the music whilst the singer croons. Then again Morrissey always wants to be the centre of attention, despite the obligatory introduction of the band section (another breather for the old man.....).

'So grab me while we still have time...'

BBC devoted a prime time slot on their schedule specifically for Morrissey and he allowed them to broadcast the complete setlist. BBC radio will follow this up with a programme later in the week, again purely Morrissey, extended highlights from his set. Enough said.
Music at its' simplest, touring with a group of people you like and putting on a good show.

Since when did he change leather to pleather in This Charming Man?

Thought playing satellite of love was a gamble seeing as the headliners U2 had covered it as well a few years back.

Morrissey is also beginning to look a bit like Terence Stamp with his grey hair. Tell 'em I'm coming......

Just watched the set from BBC4. Great to see the Beeb devoting a whole hour to Moz, and thankfully no cut-aways to the witless Fearne Cotton. As for the performance, I thought it was bloody good. Thought his voice sounded a bit fragile on EILS but seemed strong enough on everything else. New tracks are growing on me (but only slowly), but MIM blew me away. Only 5 days til Plymouth and I'm more excited than ever. Just wish the gig was somewhere a little more intimate a la Hawick or Dunoon. Oh well, can't have everything.

Please can anyone tell me what the picture on the backdrop was? ta!

Thanks to you tube! Wonderfull concert, Morrissey's voice sounds so great. I'm sorry because I'm not able to find better word to describe him.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom