Glastonbury - Glastonbury Festival 2011 (June 24, 2011) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

I Want The One I Can't Have / First Of The Gang To Die / You Have Killed Me / Shoplifters Of The World Unite / Everyday Is Like Sunday / There Is A Light That Never Goes Out / Alma Matters / People Are The Same Everywhere / One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell / Action Is My Middle Name / Satellite Of Love / Meat is Murder / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Irish Blood, English Heart / This Charming Man

Last edited:
The audience seemed very subdued for U2 as well, so the weather must be playing a part. Looks bloody freezing.

The Karl Pilkington flag was very cool during the Moz set, orange in hue, under a St. Georges cross, front left, a few rows (?) back.

Moz was amazing!! There Is A Light That Never Goes Out was special!! you've not lost it!! still not got to see him live since he walked off in Liverpool!!! sort it!! xxx

I am continually amazed by comments on this site which reflect the sentiment of the clearly pre written Guardian tosh. It is all too easy to compare the studio delicacy of the Smiths - an extensively produced sound let us remember - with the Morrissey live version. My view, as someone who actually saw the Smiths as a four and five piece, is that they too did not manage to recreate the subtelty of the studio recordings live, relying on youthful energy to (more than) paper the cracks. The Needham comment is a clear illustration of this. the version we heard tonight of Shoplifters.... far exceeds not only previous Morrissey versions - including the memorable Motherwell Civic Centre when the stage was invaded - but also the various Smiths versions which I had the privilidge to see. It is cheap and lazy journalism, coupled with rose tinted sentimentality, that leads to the type of ill informed comment we continue to see by those on the rise.

Yet another member of this site who will brook no criticism whatever of his god. If you have evidence that the Guardian piece was pre-written you need to contact the paper, as that would breach their code of ethics. Let me know how you get on. If you have evidence. If.

I was comparing it to the Smiths live, a band I saw many times. (Morrissey used to be in a band, by the way. I should have probably mentioned that for the noobs.) I never mentioned the studio version. You did. If you genuinely believe that version of Shoplifters to be superior to any you say you saw the Smiths perform you need your ears syringed and your medication increased substantially.

To quote Bob Dylan, "I don't believe yoooou..."

Well Shoplifters (as well as IWTOICHave and a couple others) is the exception to the rule in terms of any Moz solo band playing Smiths songs well...

Ole moz was simply saying this is me. Of course he could play an hour of crowd pleasers...easily...but thats not his game. Meat is Murder was fantastic......all the Glasto lefties eating their pies, organic chow mein or burgers being put on the spot (and all the folk I know going to glasto are professional people with quid to spare happy to chuck their steak down their necks) .....lets face it who tries to challenge an audience these days. U2 were repulsive...an Irishman singing Jerusalem and then all that one nation populist shite...Bono/Berlusconi swap at leisure. Moz seems quite happy doing his thing these days...in Dunfermline he said "we are very simple and we are very happy". What has he got to prove....almost thirty years on? They are his songs and he can play them at will and when he wants and how he likes..........of course he could stick in the old Smiths...but why bother.....when you all get older you will have the same feeling! Glastonbury is a shit hole quagmire for folk seeking some form of credibility in life or 'diversity'. I say go and see bands in places you want to see them where you can have a wee drink quietly without feeling you are on the edge of the world without a toilet...whats the point in that?

And yes I saw the Smiths live and they were nothing like the records if you want to get into that quality debate.

Well Shoplifters (as well as IWTOICHave and a couple others) is the exception to the rule in terms of any Moz solo band playing Smiths songs well...

I thought IWTOICH was alright actually. They suit it better. There Is A Light fizzled out a bit though. I remember the first time, post Wolverhampton, that Morrissey did a Smiths song solo. Quite an event. Now they're ten a penny. Great if you nail them. Not great if you don't. They might as well play TCM on tubas for all the fun it now imparts. Perhaps he should stick more to his solo stuff.

And yes I saw the Smiths live and they were nothing like the records if you want to get into that quality debate.

You. Are. Responding. To. A. Point. No-one. Has. Made.

Stay off that whiskey and let that cocaine be.

Mixed feelings watching this at home. I thought the first 20 minutes were really good and it was a real greatest hits selections with songs that all the neutral fans in the crowd would know. I was really enjoying the set but then he played Alma Matters and 2 new songs which seemed to kill the tempo. I think after that he struggled a bit to win the crowd back over. Would have loved a greatest hits/singles set but we know that would be unlikely.

My main observation is the band seem better playing the songs they recorded and the new songs were performed best. I think the problem is this current band didn't play on anything pre 2006 (excluding Boz) and that does show a bit. Overall was reasonably impressed.

I thought he looked a little ill, and could certainly do with losing a stone or two.

I enjoyed it, but regarding the Smiths tracks the Guardian reviewer was spot on about the band. They simply aren't up to that level of shimmering beauty so it becomes a bit of a plod. In their defence few are.

Shoplifters is a case in point, a dark and threatening slice of pure gold, full of ire and anger, but tonight something of a chicken in a basket ramble. I'll ask you a question and you tell me what you think. If you listen to the band now and on that awesome Malmo bootleg for example, is the current lineup better now or worse, more vibrant or less? Saying the band seemed pedestrian would be putting it a little kindly, while saying they looked bored would be putting it unkindly.

Radiohead turning up unannounced did him no favours, of course, as an exodus occurred apparently, leaving Moz to perform to an audience seemingly not much larger than BB King before.

The new stuff still sets alarm bells ringing. It worries me that those are the first tracks deemed most suitable for a public airing. I hope to God he's just keeping his powder dry.

Anyway, always nice to see the old devil perform.

You may now accuse me of being a troll, as is the current vogue, while I go back and sit under my bridge grinding bones to make my bread.

Dear Mr. Johnny Barleycorn,

First of it all -- don’t EVER say that Morrissey needs to lose a stone or two. You do. I do not and I repeat I do not allow libel when it comes down to my baby.
And the bigger problem I have with your libel is that if, and IF being the operative word, my baby was gaining any weight or appearing pudgy, then I would love him just the same. It makes no difference to me if Morrissey appears to have any weight gain. You are being so superficial Johnny Barleycorn, it is despicable.

How could you?

Morrissey had to deal with and cope with U2, and now I am informed that Radiohead got out of bed, etc. Johnny, Radio should have stayed in their pajamas and you should just be eating bread and butter. And no more baby mama drama. You know what I’m saying. So stop being mean.
And stop being a drama queen. I think you should resume being who you set out to be. I recall your comments on the other stories vividly. Action Is My Middle Name happens to be the most beautiful, perfect, impeccable song that Morrissey has EVER written and sang since YOR including and not limited to the cover.

Kate

P.S. It concerns me though that you say Morrissey looks ill. That takes precedence over anything so I am now going to have a look at the videos. I shall, I must, I will. Because I want Morrissey to have health, happiness, and wealth (in that order).

I thought he looked a little ill, and could certainly do with losing a stone or two.

I enjoyed it, but regarding the Smiths tracks the Guardian reviewer was spot on about the band. They simply aren't up to that level of shimmering beauty so it becomes a bit of a plod. In their defence few are.

Shoplifters is a case in point, a dark and threatening slice of pure gold, full of ire and anger, but tonight something of a chicken in a basket ramble. ]

The Smiths had a lot of trouble reproducing the albums on stage.

Don't worry about bootlegs - the official recording "Rank" is well named. I don't hear any shimmer there.

I'm sorry for feeding you.

Is Barelycorn's practice of "grinding bones for my bread" code for "wanking furiously if anyone treats me seriously"?

Its really so something when Morrissey sings 'I Know its Over' on this tour set-list. Indoors. To his fans.

Hey, I saw some of the performance from Glasto on YouTube and I must say... DAMN! Moz has it still. I don't care what some of you say, he is still rocking. I want the one I can't have was particularly amazign

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSky4zgG4JA

Dear Mozzles:

Courage
by Anne Sexton

It is in the small things we see it.
The child's first step,
as awesome as an earthquake.
The first time you rode a bike,
wallowing up the sidewalk.
The first spanking when your heart
went on a journey all alone.
When they called you crybaby
or poor or fatty or crazy
and made you into an alien,
you drank their acid
and concealed it.

Later,
if you faced the death of bombs and bullets
you did not do it with a banner,
you did it with only a hat to
comver your heart.
You did not fondle the weakness inside you
though it was there.
Your courage was a small coal
that you kept swallowing.
If your buddy saved you
and died himself in so doing,
then his courage was not courage,
it was love; love as simple as shaving soap.

Later,
if you have endured a great despair,
then you did it alone,
getting a transfusion from the fire,
picking the scabs off your heart,
then wringing it out like a sock.
Next, my kinsman, you powdered your sorrow,
you gave it a back rub
and then you covered it with a blanket
and after it had slept a while
it woke to the wings of the roses
and was transformed.

Later,
when you face old age and its natural conclusion
your courage will still be shown in the little ways,
each spring will be a sword you'll sharpen,
those you love will live in a fever of love,
and you'll bargain with the calendar
and at the last moment
when death opens the back door
you'll put on your carpet slippers
and stride out.

With love and gratitude,

Wozzles

Gosh, had a look on Youtube, it was awful weather! English Summer?

it's called the anthropocene, anon. we're in the middle of a mass extinction cycle. cos death for no reason, sometimes is, err, eco-cide.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom