Morrissey on Janice Long (June 15, 2011) - reminder / reports

Last edited:
So fed up with this sound - everything is exactly the same now, no light and shade, nothing to get excited about at all. If this is the best he can come up with then call it a day mate. He won't reform The Smiths in order to preserve their legacy, well he's pissing all over his own solo legacy with this tripe.

I think he sounds great and I Love "Action", especially. Is it likely that he'll tour the U.S. this year?

So fed up with this sound - everything is exactly the same now, no light and shade, nothing to get excited about at all. If this is the best he can come up with then call it a day mate. He won't reform The Smiths in order to preserve their legacy, well he's pissing all over his own solo legacy with this tripe.

I thought I need not listen to any of the three songs again, but I just re-listened to Action is my Middle name and think that for somebody who has not listened to Morrissey so often it can sound really good. I was a bit bored by the reference to the undertaker, but this is simply because I have been driven to action by this thought ever since I was 20. :D I'd also like to argue the lyrics on Action is my Middle Name, because if you are in love, you cannot wait to crawl all over the other person, can you. But he is right, of course, experience shows that it is better to wait and see if the other person really is whom you think they are. :)

:thumb:2 out of 3 aren't bad. As for the bitter old prunes hating, hating, hating...

Maybe it's time for you to retire.

Seriously. You've had 30 years out of the man. 3o f***ing years.

I reckon that's most of anybody's life on here. Just shut up already.
Be thankful that you still have Morrissey in your life.
If it's not your cup of tea anymore, no one is trying to force you to drink it.

2011/2012 is going to be a great year, and I, for one, am pissing myself with excitement.

"Action" is OK, but only that. The other two are tripe. If this was anyone else you'd think "fine, nothing spectacular", but it's not anyone else, it's Morrissey and we expect more, or should. This is the greatest lyricist of his generation. By these three examples he's in danger of diluting his legacy, which frankly I believe he has been doing for some time.

I wonder if part of the reason for his recent statements, which seemed designed deliberately to offend as many as possible and garner column inches, was because he knew what he had in his diminishing songbook.

I started to really worry about him when he claimed Ringleader and Refusal were the best things he's ever done. That's not talking up your product, it's delusional.

Tour those wonderful old songs every eighteen months to keep the bank balance topped up, Morrissey, but please don't put anything else down on tape until you have something to say and a band to say it with.

The lyrics to Action is My Middle Name are freakin HOT! I love that Moz's libido has (finally) shot up in recent years.

Thanks for unconsidered personal opinions, the exits are here> here< and here^. have a nice day now.

Action is my middle name recalls I Can Have Both. Not as good obviously but clearly better than the other two tracks.

All three sound like they could had easily, and fittingly, fit on YOR, or been the B-sides for the singles from that album. I wrongly assumed Morrissey would go down a different route in regards to sound, but The Kid's A Looker is the most rememberable and enjoyable from these exclusives.

People are the same everywhere - 2/10
The kid s looker - 3/10
Action in my middle name - 5/10

Only ,,Action...'' is good b - side track. Shame, musically value of these songs is similar to horrible material on Years of Refusal.

Obviously nothing can beat the period of Your Arsenal and Vauxhall and I, as that was the golden age of his solo writing
however looking at the new material, its a natural progression from the refusal session
bit less heavier I feel
We all know the writing isn't as strong, but the fact that i get to see the man 3 more times is good enough for me.

All three sound like they could had easily, and fittingly, fit on YOR, or been the B-sides for the singles from that album. I wrongly assumed Morrissey would go down a different route in regards to sound, but The Kid's A Looker is the most rememberable and enjoyable from these exclusives.

Sorry, I meant Action Is My Middle Name.

I love all three songs, but "Action" is my favourite. Morrissey's voice sonds very "mature" and so sweet.

These are pure pop ditties, reminiscent of songs heard in the 50/60's with a 21st century twist - perfect touring material.
Any other artist at a festival would have the crowd arm swaying on the La La sections, can't see Morrissey shouting out 'come on' and leading the way on that though!
The band were a bit loud, I like to hear his vocals.
However with the recession and its' associated problems and the political unrest around the world, I was expecting/preferred edgier lyrics from such a wordsmith, but they obviously mean something to him.
Good hooks and short for radio play. Looking forward to more.

So... after just 12 hours people are again not discussing the songs but how others can dare to have their opinion on the songs. Cool. If you cannot stand that others do not think the same way you do, lock yourself up in your bedroom, close the window and shades, lock the door and unplug the computer or alternatively take one of the next Branson shuttles to the moon with no return ticket.

These three songs have me thinking about an issue I've encountered with another band I like: My Morning Jacket. Their first two albums hit the exact right note for me and since then its been hit and miss. It's tempting to castigate them for changing their sound, but really, its their right to do so, and is to be expected if they want to grow musically. At that point, one can either take it or leave it as a fan. I'll take it because they are inventive, relevant and damn good live. That being said, Morrissey has the opposite problem. He is turning out the same old song over and over again with terrible songwriters. Not a good formula even if your only desire is to keep the fans you have. These songs have been done dozens of times. More problematic is the fact that his voice sounds off on these songs and the filler material is just annoying. I love Morrissey and the Smiths but I think its time for him to hang it up with respect to new material. I'd still go see him live if her were near my town, but I can't see paying money for these songs when I already own several versions of them. Bottom line: he needs to grow or shut her down. He will not grow with this pathetic attempt at a song writing crew.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom