Morrissey on Janice Long (June 15, 2011) - reminder / reports

Last edited:
There is nothing more embarrassing then someone laying into someone else and they are the ones writing badly.

Er. Then should be than. When you point your finger, there are three fingers pointing back at you.

These three songs have me thinking about an issue I've encountered with another band I like: My Morning Jacket. Their first two albums hit the exact right note for me and since then its been hit and miss. It's tempting to castigate them for changing their sound, but really, its their right to do so, and is to be expected if they want to grow musically. At that point, one can either take it or leave it as a fan. I'll take it because they are inventive, relevant and damn good live. That being said, Morrissey has the opposite problem. He is turning out the same old song over and over again with terrible songwriters. Not a good formula even if your only desire is to keep the fans you have. These songs have been done dozens of times. More problematic is the fact that his voice sounds off on these songs and the filler material is just annoying. I love Morrissey and the Smiths but I think its time for him to hang it up with respect to new material. I'd still go see him live if her were near my town, but I can't see paying money for these songs when I already own several versions of them. Bottom line: he needs to grow or shut her down. He will not grow with this pathetic attempt at a song writing crew.

kick him when he's down

kick him when he's down

Ah the old Morrissey is a disrespected victim narrative. If one presents themselves on the public stage, they submit to judgment. That's the way this whole pop star thing works. Morrissey never minces words when he critiques others, so why should his fans. It's Ok not to like some of the things he does, and such criticism doesn't mean that one can't still like his larger body of work - only fascists believe in all or nothing positions like that. If someone likes the material buy it, but there is a larger truth out there, and that is that increasingly more and more people aren't inclined to throw good money after bad when it comes to Moz's new material. I hope he tours until he can't stand up anymore, but stop wasting time and money trying to recapture something that is gone. Or...get a new crew to craft the songs and see if that provides new inspiration.

quite like action, people's okay but kid leaves me cold. there's been a deftness missing from the music for quite some time -- new blood is needed in the band. morrissey should do himself and his legacy a favor by having johnny marr produce the next lp.

I'm undecided over these songs. In my opinion, its been quite a while since Moz produced a great single, but I am hoping that these songs might form the basis of a well-produced and well-performed album, something better than Years of Refusal at the very least!

Bring back Stephen Street!

I'm sorry but at some point you have to say, Morrissey, I love you, but you are becoming awful now. These songs are rubbish, horrible to listen to. Musically they are hideous. The kid's a looker is horrendous!

For those who instantly bash anyone who says anything negative about Morrissey... imagine he was a new artist and came up with these songs... would you be buying? I hardly think so.

quite like action, people's okay but kid leaves me cold. there's been a deftness missing from the music for quite some time -- new blood is needed in the band. morrissey should do himself and his legacy a favor by having johnny marr produce the next lp.

spot on

The best part is that Moz doesn't care whether anybody else likes it.

Will he ever find a new label with music like this? This tuneless amateur rock is so boring.

I don't understand why he won't release albums on the internet. He wouldn't have to pander to the record companies he so despises.

This is fair as long as he stops complaining about being ignored.

PUB ROCK. I was really really looking forward to hearing these new songs - and was very disappointed. Morrissey has been relying on his "basic pub rock" formula for wayyyyy too long. Even The Fall during their long career (bless MES) have experimented with different sounds, yet Morrissey continues with his plod plod plod "glam rock" sound.

All these 3 songs are possibly great compositions but his current musicians just cant do them justice.

Another mediocre "rock" album = Morrissey's finished. Yet he could do some amazing work with a different producer! Stephen Street???

:thumb:
2 out of 3 aren't bad. As for the bitter old prunes hating, hating, hating...

Maybe it's time for you to retire.

Seriously. You've had 30 years out of the man. 3o f***ing years.

I reckon that's most of anybody's life on here. Just shut up already.
Be thankful that you still have Morrissey in your life.
If it's not your cup of tea anymore, no one is trying to force you to drink it.

2011/2012 is going to be a great year, and I, for one, am pissing myself with excitement.

What a vulgar woman. Stupid too.

Ok...heard the songs fairly chirpy..Moz sings in a slightly differnent tone, at a pace perfect for 3 minutes Pop songs, but the band are still bishing bashing not giving enough to moz`s vocal range, but their is light on Manzurs Doors like keyboards on People are the Same.

Solomons bass lines uninspiring, until Moz finds a lead guitarist who can lead a band, without going into Powerchords hiding thin tunes, then his songs will sound the same as disposable, as bitching about throwaway Popstars.

I`m just hopelessly hopeing Moz gets a record company demanding 10 songs on a album, no extra fillers. Stephen Street to add strucure to production. A guitarist who has swagger as Vini Reilly, Little Barrie, just a Brit who can play a stomping tuneeeeeeeeeeee. I`m hungry now.

I remember hearing interesting drug for the first time, dancing around my bedroom, almost in tears at Morrisseys fantastic lyrics, the great guitar riffs, the passion. Morrisseys band make me mad..half hearted, old and boring. Move over and let Moz have a go with some fresh and eager blood.I want to feel inspired by my hero again, and you are holding him back!

Action is ok but that's where kidding myself ends. The other 2 are total shite. They make the recent spout of unfinished demos gracing the surface of recent re releases seem like gold. The la lal las and the whoa whoa whoas are cringe worthy. Lyrically he seems to be coming up with fairly mediocre lines and backing that line up with a rhyme that's even more embarrassing than the line that preceeds it. These 3 songs god forbid they end up on an album let alone B sides are going to need some serious work from some genius producer not yet unearthed an possibly not from earth. Unlike some people here I have enjoyed Mozzer's recent work and yes even YOR! "Paris" is one of his greatest recent singles in my opinion, torchy and melodramatic like I like. But these songs just sound clumsy and if you're going to choose 3 songs to play live as some sort of showcase to the public then these must be the best of the batch which is scaring me no end. I still believe genius is in his skin there somewhere. You can't give us the beautiful and touching "My Dearest Love" to swim in and then drain the pool leaving us with this.

I've not yet heard the new songs - and for a good reason, I'm rather fearful.

A while back I wrote an item 'The Emperor's New Clothes' on this site after seeing the 50th birthday gig at Manchester.

I hazard that nothing much has changed....... a fab back catalogue of Smiths/ Early solo stuff with increasing few nuggests since then - sigh :(

Smug

Morrissey doesn't give a monkeys about the smiths legacy. Why you ask.let me enlighten you.

Firstly he refuses point blank to autograph any smiths items.

He keeps making childish remarks about johnny marr.

He had the chance to continue the smiths in name but decided not to and go down the solo route and decided to split the band up. Control freak.

He didn't pay Joyce or rourke. Fact. The courts decided this.

He claims smiths songs belong to him.

Great songs!!!Especially"Action Is My Middle Name".I love it!!!!

That you love these songs is no surprise; you're congenitally unable to think for yourself where Steven's concerned. In short, you're a f***ing idiot.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom