"Kristeen Young Makes Amends With Morrissey, Delves Into Film on New EP" - Spinner

"Kristeen Young Makes Amends With Morrissey, Delves Into Film on New EP" - Spinner Canada

Had Kristeen Young written 'It's a Wonderful Life,' hero George Bailey would have wound up with Violet Bick, a character the art-pop songstress hails as a sort of proto-feminist icon on 'V the Volcanic,' the title track from her latest EP.

Comprising seven songs, each written from the perspective of a favorite film character, 'Volcanic' marks the culmination of a decidedly less-than-wonderful stretch in Young's own life. In 2007, an off-color stage remark cost her a job opening for Morrissey, and soon after, she claims, Lady Gaga began copying some of the elaborate costumes she'd designed for her own live shows. (Check out pictures of Young's "bubble dress" and decide for yourself.)

Having emerged from her funk and recently launched a tour that includes residencies in several major cities, Young chatted with Spinner about her love of cinema, repaired relationship with Morrissey and inability to see the sweetness in 'It's a Wonderful Life.'

Excerpt:

Since the incident in 2007, you've made amends with Morrissey right?
Yeah, I'm opening for him in England [on July 8].

His fans tend to be pretty loyal and hold grudges. Are you at all nervous about opening for him again?
People tend to ... I don't even want to get into that. I'm not worried about it. I think the fact that he is having me back on tour makes a statement in itself. I'm not really worried. They've become kinder to me over the past few years. I think time puts things in perspective.

Last edited:
I can't see why Lady Gaga must have been influenced by Kristeen's dresses

yes, Kristeen Young is a sorta cult, but I'd say Lady Gaga
is more influenced by Boy George early Culture Club period than just a dress

I'm not a fan, dunno a particualir song of Lady Gaga, but the pics and newitems
on TV, she the current woman of style in music, Kristeen might hope she get's
3% of the mediahype and songs [I don't go into debate about quality of their
music ] and what she sells as T shirt, typical Gaga clothing, the make-up industry
is flowing, she's a style icon and Kristeen is a women who has her own image
and stage act, as many have...but why is Madonna still nrmbr 1, and we forgot
all about Brithey ...

I thought Lady Gaga would be a 1 year hype, it seems I'm very wrong, her new
album got good citics

resume; Kristeen Young is another league than Lada Gaga, for instance their banckacounts:rolleyes:
but she's given a 2nd chance, I'd say don't talk or moan about Morrissey in yer gig
just sing and add something more, cause homoustly Kristeen is better looking than
Lady Gaga

Last edited:
I hope to God she makes another insulting remark and gets kicked off the tour again.

ok, with all the wonderfully talented young bands in need of attention ... with all the morrissey fans paying dearly to see him ... why-o-why in the names of all the dead queens did he choose this piece of noise for an opener? help me here.

We all know how uncommon it is for someone to get back into camp Morrissey after they've been excommunicated -- this is a pretty rare event!
But seriously, it's good to see Morrissey can "mend" relationships with people.
Hopefully Streety, too. And Spencer.

Last edited:
celibate i am bored by your very existence. shut your fat dutch pancake hole you freak.

Troll post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my God, once again! Always the same story! It was all concorded for publicity! Anyway in the last past years kristeen Young used to sing only in private club with almost five or seven persons, maybe nine with her parents! Yes she puted on the bubble dress before Gaga, well! This is a thing who'll change the music's history! Oh yes she got a four octave vocal range, well why she does'nt sing at the Opera! She plays the piano as a guitar, well, why she does'nt play a guitar! Anyway if Morrissey will play in my country surely I'll go to see him, even if ther'll be Iva Zanicchi as supporting act.

I've always found Kristeen to be a charming person in the classic Maya Deren sense and her critique of Gaga has always rested more against the industrial nature of her creation. I mean it would make sense for Gaga to have stolen the look if she followed the Moz tours a few years back, though I never entirely believe she is influenced by any of her so called influences. Kristeen though has made a great EP which actually works as a concept album, and Gaga's machine has churned out another fairly generic pop record that appeals to the uncritical. Drama queens on this forum only seem to appreciate insults if they are being directed by Morrissey and not jokingly at him. Kristeen Young while a bit nihilistic ended up having the normal conflict of when consistent cynicism meets an unquestioning fanbase, I would say though we never knew what happened behind the scenes of that tour so it very well could have been equally good reasons for both to want to rid themselves of the other.

That's a terrific song and video, and nice outfits too. Her best song yet. :thumb: Good to see her back supporting Morrissey. A great talent.

Re: Article: "Kristeen Young Makes Amends With Morrissey, Delves Into Film on New EP"

I would say though we never knew what happened behind the scenes of that tour so it very well could have been equally good reasons for both to want to rid themselves of the other.

No, they definitely had a big argument.

I think the video for Fantastic Failure is nothing but her posing and moving like Morrissey. Lots and lots of emulation here. The song is actually tolerable, since I do not prefer her singing at all. I must be high right now.

How can she be sure that Lady Gaga even knew about her bubble dress? Creative people (artists, musicians, writers, filmmakers, inventors) sometimes have the same or similar ideas--even at the same time, each thinking he or she is the first person ever to have thought of it. For example, I've seen group shows at galleries where relatively unknown artists from all over the world have been curated together; their collective works look as though they all could have been done by the same person. This was before the Internet, so it's not like they were tweeting, uploading art work on Facebook, and emailing each other. Ideas are floating around everywhere. Only a few will grab them out of the ether and turn them into something tangible.

I understand Kristeen's frustration and I understand that feeling that you've been ripped off when perhaps you weren't. Even if Lady Gaga DID rip her off (but, seriously, who watches Letterman?), she happened to get attention for that dress when Kristeen did not only because she (Lady Gaga) was already famous. If KY wants mainstream popularity, she will, unfortunately, have to make mainstream music. If she were to break into the mainstream, people will then take note of her weird fashion sense. I think her music appeals to a very small audience (which is not necessarily a bad thing) but she can't make that kind of music and expect the masses to like it.

Oh, and why does her "Fantastic Failure" video look more expensive than all of Morrissey's last 10 or so videos put together?

Re: Article: "Kristeen Young Makes Amends With Morrissey, Delves Into Film on New EP"

Iva Zanicchi!!! Sarebbe un incubo...
Facciamo Rita Pavone e non se ne parla più.
Massimo massimo Gigliola Cinquetti...

How can she be sure that Lady Gaga even knew about her bubble dress? Creative people (artists, musicians, writers, filmmakers, inventors) sometimes have the same or similar ideas--even at the same time, each thinking he or she is the first person ever to have thought of it. For example, I've seen group shows at galleries where relatively unknown artists from all over the world have been curated together; their collective works look as though they all could have been done by the same person. This was before the Internet, so it's not like they were tweeting, uploading art work on Facebook, and emailing each other. Ideas are floating around everywhere. Only a few will grab them out of the ether and turn them into something tangible.

I understand Kristeen's frustration and I understand that feeling that you've been ripped off when perhaps you weren't. Even if Lady Gaga DID rip her off (but, seriously, who watches Letterman?), she happened to get attention for that dress when Kristeen did not only because she (Lady Gaga) was already famous. If KY wants mainstream popularity, she will, unfortunately, have to make mainstream music. If she were to break into the mainstream, people will then take note of her weird fashion sense. I think her music appeals to a very small audience (which is not necessarily a bad thing) but she can't make that kind of music and expect the masses to like it.

Oh, and why does her "Fantastic Failure" video look more expensive than all of Morrissey's last 10 or so videos put together?

Hi Dave!

You're wrong about that; they're both rubbish. So there it is.

Oh! Thanks for that...anonymous person, but was it worth your while?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom