Average age of a Morrissey Fan Today?

G

Grant

My wife calls me a relic. I bought Queen is Dead on Cassette on its release day when I was 14. Do the math. I relate that not in a snobbish attempt to prove I'm a "real" fan but to find out how many fans are in thier 30's and beyond. Does Moz hold on to his CD buying friends?

> My wife calls me a relic. I bought Queen is Dead on Cassette on its
> release day when I was 14. Do the math. I relate that not in a snobbish
> attempt to prove I'm a "real" fan but to find out how many fans
> are in thier 30's and beyond. Does Moz hold on to his CD buying friends?

Oh no!!! I am 35 Grant and my first Smiths purchase was "What Difference" on 12" on it's day of release.It is a fact though that a lot of the original Smiths fans no longer follow Morrissey. "Kill Uncle" was the death of many of them coupled with the "racist" allegations and Moz's defection to the USA.

I think as well a lot of the bedroom angst goes away as one grows older and some of my friends who were original die hard Smiths miserablists are now so happy tending their gardens and caring about the environment(all great fun I may add).

I always found Smiths fans bright and intelligent and sadly today many do not come on this message board (which is a pity as they would certainly raise the standards:)

Take the guy"greasetea" for example. People actually think he makes a worthwhile contribution to the World Of Morrissey. Sad.
Keep The Faith. Growing up with Morrissey has been a thrill:).

average age in our household is 14 and a third.
unfortunately, two of them are only aged 7 and 5.

Wasn't there a poll on this a few months back?

> Take the guy"greasetea" for example. People actually think he
> makes a worthwhile contribution to the World Of Morrissey. Sad.

really? who?

johnny, grant...

i couldn't agree more. i'm 31 myself and purchased the old smiths releases the day they came out, too (i can still remember my friends and i ditching school, buying "meat is murder" the afternoon it came out, and listening to it at my house while we rifled through dear old dad's liquor cabinet).

although i'm still into every release and bit or legitimate news story as i ever was, it gets harder and harder to go to morrissey/smiths related events with every passing year. come to think of it, i quit going to the conventions after the first year and only followed morrissey’s last tour because i was able to do so from the side of the stage as opposed to fighting the crowds up front.

now, concerts have turned into modern-day versions of a "guys & dolls" convention (pseudo-gangsters and their tarted-up girlfriends), people fawning over smith look-a-likes, and those who discovered morrissey during the “your arsenal” era when he flirted with the rockabilly look that these fans are still clutching onto.

eh, who gives a f*** – they’re the ones who are paying $30 for domestic copies of “the queen is dead” on ebay – why should i care?

this whole “then and now” debate has been beaten to the ground before and it’s very, very boring, but it’s still valid – the entire climate has changed – at least on the west coast.

38.Thirty f***in' eight. I should be ashamed of myself. By rights I should be buying Ms Dion's recordings, wearing tight bleached jeans and wearing a second hand mullet.

I was 18 when Hand In Glove came out. It gave me shivers up my neck then. Still does now.

> johnny, grant...

> i couldn't agree more. i'm 31 myself and purchased the old smiths releases
> the day they came out, too (i can still remember my friends and i ditching
> school, buying "meat is murder" the afternoon it came out, and
> listening to it at my house while we rifled through dear old dad's liquor
> cabinet).

39 and proud to be alternative.. still got a lot of life and love to give.. What Difference Does it Make first release and is still an opiate for my sometimes 'dulled by experience' senses..

..The Smiths were the number one then.. and they still are now. Morrissey should get his arse in gear if he's serious about anything nowadays.

Ruffian

> 38.Thirty f***in' eight. I should be ashamed of myself. By rights I should
> be buying Ms Dion's recordings, wearing tight bleached jeans and wearing a
> second hand mullet.

> I was 18 when Hand In Glove came out. It gave me shivers up my neck then.
> Still does now.

haha don't worry I am also of that vintage year, maturing like a fine wine.

> haha don't worry I am also of that vintage year, maturing like a fine
> wine.
Cheer up, I'm 44, my good man ! But at least I can lay claim to have seen the Smiths play 5 times..... In America no less.

> haha don't worry I am also of that vintage year, maturing like a fine
> wine.

Yes....Buckfast......only kidding Billy:)

Re: I discovered Morrissey and The Smiths in 1991, and I was ...

a mere fifty-four at the time
OK, I happened upon Morrissey a little late, but his lyrics still had quite an impact on my life.

Re: I discovered your mum in 1991, and I was ...

shocked to say the least.Not only does your mom give good head,but she's awesome at so many other things. She washed my dishes the last time she was here,i forgot to thank her for it. Do me a favor?? tell your mum I said hi and that we can meet this sunday at the park again,but this time,she has to bring more money and a bowl of yoshinoya. she forgot last time,i was pissed.

Back
Top Bottom