why do everyday i hear more and more people bad mouthing morrisey

smcauley600

why do alot of people get so easily annoyed when morrisey has an opinoin no i don't agree with his veganism cus i eat meat but i still listen to his music because i think its up there with some of the best music written in 30 years smiths or solo. i was on the nme website and there front cover story was a band called friendly fires a bunch of 21 year olds cashing in on this "nu rave" bullshit who are gonna go nowhere bashing morrisey well friendly fires see ya working in tesco's in a years time

Morrissey has always divided opinion, there is nothing new about that. However nowadays in this brave new on-line world, we can all have our two pence worth within seconds and sit back and watch the ripples. Very democratic, but sometimes the tail can wag the dog. The Guardian interview became an on-line circle wank even before it was published, for instance.

Morrissey has always divided opinion, there is nothing new about that. However nowadays in this brave new on-line world, we can all have our two pence worth within seconds and sit back and watch the ripples. Very democratic, but sometimes the tail can wag the dog. The Guardian interview became an on-line circle wank even before it was published, for instance.

Love it.

:lbf:Are you Charlie Brooker Brel?l

Are you Charlie from Busted Brel? ;)

What's more odd - i find a uneven amount of morrissey bashing on this site, a fan site - VERY WEIRD. Why come here to bash him? its a mad mad mad mad mad world i guess.

All the negativity in this forum is really annoying me, am I the only one?

Fans is a funny specimen. They follow their idol(s) everywhere, spend half of their annual income on memorabilia, cd's, books and concert/travel tickets. And at a certain point when they are fan for a certain period they somehow allow themselves to have more credit than "the common fan".

I am sorry, I only came on board in 2004 around Quarry so I am a newbie here but I truely don't understand all the complaining, not to say whining by many people here about setlists, releases, band line up, tour schedules, albums. Let me assure you, I am not a blind follower, history proved what blind following can result in :lbf:, but often when I read some topics here I simply stop as people only tend to spoil the fun for others.

Like the upcoming tour. I really look forward to it, if only for the reviews and bootlegs, as I live in The Netherlands and I am not in a position to travel abroad. Many people here somehow can and travel half the world to see him and then complain how bad it was, the setlist sucked etc. etc. I wish I could go and see Morrissey in the UK, US or multiple times on tour or as I am very curious what he's about to play and to see if he has new material up his sleeve, which he obviously has as I heard an album is ready except for, what's new :D, a label to release it on.

We all love the man and his music because of who he is so please don't whine or complain about every single thing he does. Long time fans always happen to dwell on the past while in all honesty Quarry, Ringleader and Refusal are among his best and most consistent work of his carreer. And yes, I also disliked the fact that 2 of the Refusal songs were also the bonus tracks for which I bought his greatest hits! :mad: But, the past is a strange place ;) So enjoy that the man is still around and releasing quality material, is touring constantly and hopefully for a long time to come.

Last edited:
Re: All the negativity in this forum is really annoying me, am I the only one?

I would have to agree - it is sad that people are so hard on this man

If you don't like something there are better ways of expressing yourselves.

It seems to be very prevalent lately ?

just ignore

I don't see it as overtly negative here. It's like life: if you can't hack it, stay indoors. Otherwise get out, mingle if you want to, make friends and enemies as you deem necessary...or just lurk about and observe.

I don't think anyone here that posts regularly looks to start trouble. But many many people here are way too sensitive and if you go against the grain of popular consensus here, you will be taken to task for it, and that's where the peripheral aspect of "negativity" comes into play. And if you don't get in line and if you don't take shit, you are considered a troll, an asshole, etc.

But I think most people here are genuinely devoted fans. Unfortunately there's a mentality overlying things that to be a "real" fan of Morrissey you have to OBSESS over and AGREE WITH and SUPPORT absolutely everything he does, which is just silly. I mean there are people here who actually try to look like Morrissey...in their everyday, WASP, shopping mall-working lives. That's silly. But they have formed an ego-attachment that clouds their ability to love the man's art without also trying to assimilate his identity. I'm sure most people here don't take it to that physical an extreme, but it was just an example of how unbalanced some of these people are and how incapable they are of loving Morrissey without also being able to criticize him.

So then if you say, for instance, "Years of Refusal is really a sub-par collection of songs," you are immediately branded a shitstarter, and are considered an unworthy fan. Honestly, it is considered blasphemous by these people to even SUGGEST Morrissey has made any mistakes.

Which is nuts!

Critisism is obviously allowed and healthy but it is overly negative. Whether you are a "real" fan (what is a real fan? I mean I am 40, I got a life!) or not it is simply annoying reading stuff like "I traveled 300 miles to see Morrissey at "name a city" and then start complaining. EVerybody complained that nothing happened in 2010 and the man announces a tour and people complain about WHERE he plays, with WHO he plays, WHAT SUPPORT ACTS (as if anyone cares) he brings along etc. etc. Is this the overall negativity of people or are they simply bored to death so the only thing they can do is complain about every single thing?

There is no such thing as "having a life." That's a dumb phrase. I have more fun at home than I ever do going out.

As for bitching about venues and concerts, if a person pays a lot of cash and spends a lot of time to follow him around on tour, I'd say they have EVERY right to bitch if they are not 100 percent satisfied.

Just like at Denny's!

You APPEAR to be one of the persons I am referring to! I don't know Denny's, so enlighten me! And thanks for judging me as my phrase is "dumb" according to you. ;-) Having a life was a reaction to your words on people who dress and behave like Morrissey etc. as I always though teenagers did that.

Last edited:

People who are overly negative often have a large need for attention and complain or whine to get a reaction. They try to provoke people on purpose as even negative attention is a form of a ttention and that will do for them.

Last edited:

There is no such thing as "having a life." That's a dumb phrase. I have more fun at home than I ever do going out.

Where do you live? I'm not trying to start anything, just curious.

I like balk1970's post. I don't think he's trying to actually make people stop complaining, but most of us probably imagine our complaints are more interesting to read then they are.

I like balk1970's post. I don't think he's trying to actually make people stop complaining, but most of us probably imagine our complaints are more interesting to read then they are.

Well read! :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom