Morrissey - "The Royal Family are benefit scroungers"

They just talked about the wedding causing tourism! I can think of a certain tour that will cause a swell in international tourism....

Morrissey's always hated the royal family, what's new? Everyone's having a discussion like he's just revealed his acute dislike for them. Good on them and all that but i'm sick of hearing about William and Kate.

There are bigger evils in the world than the Royal Family. And remember the Queen is not just the head of state of England but 53(?) countries. Including mine. It's a bit like Santa Claus really isn't it. We all know it's a bit of a joke but we put up with it. The yoke of monarchism is not resting on my shoulders. On many others it weighs heavily.

Oh, and was Morrissey paying resident tax when he was living in LA? Ohhh I've done me out of a special thank you postcard from Morrissey haven't I.

Good Afternoon All,

The 'Royal Wedding' and the surrounding mania is another example of how the majority of our country are so easily manipulated by the media and consumerism. People are encouraged through the National Curriculum and media bombardment to become non-individualistic, easily manipulated clones. Why show surprise when these clones are manipulated toward such irelevance? Britain has so much to feel proud of. A list of British artists, playwrights, musicians, novelists, engineers, composers etc is the envy of the world. It is for this we should be proud. Personally I wish William and Kate no harm. I do not agree with a lot of what they stand for, but I do not agree either with the way the majority of people in this country live their shallow lives. I prefer to continue my life in the way I choose which is why I shall be spending tomorrow in my garden doing a spot of Royal Weeding.

Love, Peace, and Trumpton.

Boethius.

Is he wrong, by the way?

No, he's not. That's the thing about him - the only thing he's really wrong about is this perverse musical direction he's taking, and I'm not sure I think that the naked old man stuff is good, either. But he's right about everything else.

And in order to get their money they should be made to go sign on every week, too. Queue up at the window. Fill out forms, tick boxes.

The use of the words 'benefit scroungers' is quite amusing when you look at Morrissey's own youth, but ah well.

Anyone who doesn't believe that we need a monarchy anymore can visit this site - http://www.republic.org.uk/ - or the associated Facebook page -http://www.facebook.com/republiccampaign

God Waive The Queen.

Shame, is it true that the Royal Family costs the average British taxpayer less than £1 annually?

Yep I'm sure that tomorrow's little shindig will not cost any of us any extra cash. Closing the centre of London, closing down obusinesses, the police overtime, cleaning up the shit afterwards. Oh was that an increase in my taxes? Of course the fiscal benefits the House Of Anachronism bring to the nation can't be underestimated. All those flags waving tomorrow made in China. Let's hope Kate remembers to wear her seatbelt.

I've got a little side bet that TBW dies tomorrow to steel the limelight.
Now that will be something to celebrate.

Tiger Woods? Maggie Thatcher has been invited but she's lost the invite.:rolleyes:

Shame, is it true that the Royal Family costs the average British taxpayer less than £1 annually?

Indeed, I believe that it is.

I'm not a member of the Republic organisation, the links are just there for anyone interested. My views are admittedly more ideological than pragmatic. (I'll never wear a Che Guevara t-shirt though, let it be known).

Here's something I posted to the Facebook page of Republic; I feel it explains my personal stance:
"I simply don't agree with the notion of hereditary succession. I understand, and to some degree reluctantly accept, the idea that it can prevent politicians from gaining too much power, but the hereditary fairytale titles are ludicrous. I am not at all pro-Royal, nor an advocate of the monarchy; I just feel, as a supportive observer, that Republic has quite a task to pursue, and I wish you the best of luck with all these media appearances."

I hope I worded my views as well as Morrissey. :rolleyes:

Well spoken, sir (I'm assuming you're a man; my apologies if I assume wrongly). Being a foreigner, I'm neither pro nor anti-Royal but very pro-lager.

Morrissey would have been more extreme in his language, made personal attacks and changed someone's name into something silly.

Thank you, Mars Rover; I am but an 18-year-old kiddywink.

Ah, Morrissey. He always seems to know exactly how he shouldn't phrase something and goes ahead with it anyway. Except in his lyrics - they are oft 'perfect', if such an extreme term can be applied. They are vehemently poetic at least.

Back
Top Bottom