The Queen Is Dead..?

R

Ruffian

.. the track, was in the Times last week as (from what I recall) No.1 in a top 10 list of great Republican anthems ever..

The Smiths were there with the pistols, The Housemartins (the sublime 'Flag Day'), and a couple of Beautiful South tracks ('We'll deal with you later' was one of them ) ..

..life is very long.. when you're lonely..

Ruffian

& did you see Billy Bragg on ToTP?

First time in ages that I made the effort to be home to see Top of the Pops (ToTP). And all because BB's back there after 11 years absence. 'Take down the Flag' - I still don't like the song - there's an AWFUL key change in it about 3/4 way through etc etc, but I'm glad Bill's there on Telly explaining that the British Empire doesn't exist so let's forget the Union Flag. I'm sure we can live in harmony with our own national flags, and I think that's what he means.

Yes, and Gilbert and George ARE taking the piss Billy, but unfortunately by mentioning them they get even more recognition - which is probably what they are all about.

> .. the track, was in the Times last week as (from what I recall) No.1 in a
> top 10 list of great Republican anthems ever..

> The Smiths were there with the pistols, The Housemartins (the sublime
> 'Flag Day'), and a couple of Beautiful South tracks ('We'll deal with you
> later' was one of them ) ..

> ..life is very long.. when you're lonely..

> Ruffian

Re: & did you see Billy Bragg on ToTP?

> First time in ages that I made the effort to be home to see Top of the
> Pops (ToTP). And all because BB's back there after 11 years absence. 'Take
> down the Flag' - I still don't like the song - there's an AWFUL key change
> in it about 3/4 way through etc etc, but I'm glad Bill's there on Telly
> explaining that the British Empire doesn't exist so let's forget the Union
> Flag. I'm sure we can live in harmony with our own national flags, and I
> think that's what he means.

> Yes, and Gilbert and George ARE taking the piss Billy, but unfortunately
> by mentioning them they get even more recognition - which is probably what
> they are all about.

i thought the song was alright. thought im not a great fan of his, his voice does nothing for me but i thought some of the lyrics were great.

'out dear old queen handing out MBE's it looked like it was 1883..' or something, brought a smile to my face

> .. the track, was in the Times last week as (from what I recall) No.1 in a
> top 10 list of great Republican anthems ever..

> Ruffian
why yes, I did hear "the queen is dead" being played at the RNC in 2000. GWB is a huge Smiths Fan and said he and Greta Van Susterin are working on getting Morrissey a Green Card.

This is not your country

On a similar theme, shouldn't This Is Not Your Country be included as a Republican song? It's quite clearly an Irish Republican song from the heart.
You notice the NME never bring this song up when they are denouncing Morrissey as a right-winger.

British right-wing bands Skrewdriver and Combat 84 both have songs called 'f*** The IRA', and this is pretty much the feeling of all British right-wing political organisations. So for Morrissey to come away with this song really puts all the racist, right-wing accusations in the bin.

Doesn't it, you braindead NME bastards?

Back
Top Bottom