Do you remember the first time you heard The Smiths or Morrissey

AtWarWithGod

To all Moz fans new and old, Do you remember the first time you heard The Smiths or Morrissey? The emotions you felt? What you were doing? What you should of been doing instead of indulging in his master pieces?

My first time was when I was sixteen, I was in my room, doing coursework on my partners laptop, when skimming through her Itunes library I found Morrissey, the first song I heard and played was "I'm throwing my arms around Paris" Instantly I felt like I had fallen in love, the butterfly's in my tummy were going crazy! From that day I was blessed, with a new sense of reality and personality.

Please share your experiences :)

I had stumbled across a couple of short Morrissey interviews in Smash Hits. I liked his looks, his vegeterianism, and his love of stationary. I bought TQID on cassette to see how his music sounded. It was summer, so I had no other obligations. I was downstairs on the couch, put the tape in, put on my headphones, pressed "play", and was immediately enraptured. I've been in love ever since.

First ever song I heard was "Panic" - The Smiths back in 2007 from a copied "The Very Best of The Smiths" in my Dad's car!
As soon as my Mum entered the car her first words were "turn that utter shit off...I hate The Smiths!" - then my fondness of The Smiths grew!
I loved every track playing on that album...they were so different, so unique...so different from anything I had ever heard! "William, It Was Really Nothing" I can remember really caught my ear and I kept listening to the album again and again!
Then I listened to copied a cd of Morrissey's Suedehead: The Best Of Morrissey from my local library....and to be quite frank, I hated the album on all my three attempts of listening to it! I thought it was all absolute shite apart from Suedehead, Interesting Drug and The Last Of The International Playboys!
So I reverted back to the Smiths and listened to all their albums and singles. I became a very big fan of The Smiths instantly, but Morrissey as a solo singer never had an emotional impact on my life...
A year had passed, I slowly got into Suedehead: The Best Of Morrissey, tracks like Tomorrow, Boxers grew on me. I then bought Bona Drag as a last attempt on Morrissey solo and I loved it because I knew my three favourite singles were on it! (surprise surprise, most of the members of The Smiths played on a lot of the tracks anyway, so no wonder why I liked it!)
From 2007 till today, I still haven't found any of Morrissey albums truly amazing masterpieces (...apart from Bona Drag...)
Till this day, I still haven't bought one...instead I've just downloaded the few album tracks I've liked. However, I've become a fan of Morrissey's Very Early Solo stuff and a few of his b-sides and Demos. I also like some of his solo songs being played live than studio recorded...Your Arsenal is amazing played live than the album! I do consider myself as a fan though as I do like a lot of his songs, I just have the songs as either a live or demo audio!
Anyway...just thought I'd share it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed. (It was just three years ago. I don't count "How soon is Now." I was really little when I first heard it and I didn't like it.:eek::crazy:) Three years ago, I was sick of all my music and asked my parents for recommendations. It was in the evening and our living room had just one ceiling light so it was dim except for the bright glow of the television. Our computer was hooked up to the tv. We went on itunes and my dad said he thought I would like the smiths. They turned on "Rush and a push and the land is ours" and the piano and voice sounded so magical I got the chills. I was instantly in love. They made a mix cd with a bunch of bands, and the first time I turned on the cd I skipped them all to get to the smiths.:cool::guitar:

Indeed. (It was just three years ago. I don't count "How soon is Now." I was really little when I first heard it and I didn't like it.:eek::crazy:) Three years ago, I was sick of all my music and asked my parents for recommendations. It was in the evening and our living room had just one ceiling light so it was dim except for the bright glow of the television. Our computer was hooked up to the tv. We went on itunes and my dad said he thought I would like the smiths. They turned on "Rush and a push and the land is ours" and the piano and voice sounded so magical I got the chills. I was instantly in love. They made a mix cd with a bunch of bands, and the first time I turned on the cd I skipped them all to get to the smiths.:cool::guitar:

I find extremely tender that your parents introduced you to the Smiths! I'll do the same with my kids when they grow a little older! The first time I heard the Smiths I was 9 :), it was 1986 and my memories are a bit confused, being so young. I'm not sure if it was Ask or Bigmouth strikes again, they were the first two songs I heard, or better, I saw, because my first Smiths memories are on TV: the Italian MTV and the Sanremo Festival where the Smiths were guests (do you know Sanremo? If you don't, don't bother!!!). Anyway, love at first sight.:love: Though I was a little girl, I saw Morrissey and thought: he's so special, so different. :love: Then, obviously I got into them more seriously when I became older.

Are you a vegetarian yourself? if yes, was this influenced by Moz? Nothing better than a nice summers day with Moz i can assure you :)

This is a good question and I hope that she will answer it. She is a veterinarian and she never participates in the discussions about vegeterianism.

Morrissey being a vegetarian made me listen up and research him and then I was very pleased that he makes music that was exactly of the kind that I love. I do remember that I had an idea what The Smiths sounded like, but I do not remember where from.For years the music of The Smiths was for some strange reason what real music had to sound like, even though I never consciously listened to any of theirs. It is a mystery. Don't laugh, I did not know that Morrissey used to be in The Smiths.

I first heard The Smiths when I bought The Pretty In Pink soundtrack.The song was Please,please ,please let me get what I want.I fell in love with that song and would play it over and over again.

First year of sixth form. I'd recently made a new friend (to become one of my very best). I'd liked music throughout my childhood, from the endless afternoons aged 4 or 5 in my brother's room listening to his Nirvana and Faith No More CDs, to the chart-pop I obsessed over aged 8 or 9, to the nu-metal I loved at 12 or 13. For a couple of years before this encounter at college I only really listened to three bands - Metallica, Rammstein and Rage Against The Machine. This new friend decided it was time to change all that. "Ever heard of the Smiths?" he asked, thrusting an iPod into my grubby hands. "Listen to this, it's called 'How Soon Is Now?'." (I paraphrase, but these were the sentiments.) I vaguely recognised the song but had never really listened to it. As Johnny's guitar permeated my brain, I was taken and that was it. My other early favourites were, I believe, 'These Things Take Time' and 'Handsome Devil'.

It was late in the last century and I had just moved to London. Boys started giving me cassettes, saying "You should like them, you're a vegetarian." One gave me a Meat is Murder badge. I ignored him and went around with the headbangers instead. I regret that now.

I heard him on local radio being interviewed around May 1983 when Hand in Glove came out, didn't really pay attention. When What Difference Does It Make was a hit and he was in Smash Hits I became a fan.

I'm not proud to admit this, but the first time I heard The Smiths was around the time t.A.T.u. were all over the place, and I had their album (I was young and foolish). One of my favourite songs on it was 'How Soon is Now?', which I assumed was their own song, although I do distinctly remember finding the lyrics to be somewhat more intriguing than any of the other songs on their album. Anyway, soon afterwards I saw The Smiths' version of 'How Soon is Now?' on, I think, VH1. I quite liked their version of the song, and I was interested in knowing more about them, but it would be a while yet before I'd become a fan, or even listen to anything else they did. I didn't realise how amazing The Smiths and Morrissey were until I met a Morrissey-obsessed girl in Bradford a couple of years later, but that is another story...

Last edited:
The first time I don't remember exactly....
But I'm pretty sure that a friend of mine whom I asked about tome bands showed me The Smiths up.
We were 15 and liked bands as Joy Division, Legião Urbana and Bauhaus, then THAT DAY came around and he said: "there's a band you need to know. They're called The Smiths". Ever since I love the Smiths

Last edited:
Are you a vegetarian yourself? if yes, was this influenced by Moz? Nothing better than a nice summers day with Moz i can assure you :)

I am vegetarian. I had toyed with the idea as a kid/teenager, influenced as much by Howard Jones and Greenpeace as by Morrissey. It wasn't meant to be at home, seeing as I had a mother who forced me to sit at the table until I ate dinner.

FF to college, freshman year, spring 91. Moz was going on tour, two friends and I were going to try and get tickets for the Great Western show. We were arguing over if we only got 2 tickets among the three of us, who would get to go? Each of us tried to show we were the bigger fan and deserved them more. "You shouldn't get to go," I exclaimed, "you don't do what he says!" "Oh yeah," she retorted, "well, you eat meat, don't you?" "Fine, I won't!" I replied. And I stopped eating meat. :D I also got to go to the show :D

I played clarinet in the high school marching band. It was zero period, the earliest class before school technically started. I was a freshman, it was the fall of 1989. I was minding my own business sitting at my chair, second chair, when the first chair clarinetist named Wendy Wood placed a Walkman on my head and said "Listen to this." It was Panic. A few days later I asked my sister to drive me to town to the Wherehouse where I bought every tape possible. His voice, I can't explain how soothing it was to me. :o

They turned on "Rush and a push and the land is ours" and the piano and voice sounded so magical I got the chills. I was instantly in love.

Gooooooood song to be introduced with. You're parents have taste. :p

here's the problem :straightface: I remember writing on here about the first time I heard the Smiths :) but now that memory has shoved aside the actual memory :eek:
I am sure that whatever I wrote was fairly accurate :thumb:
however, since I have nearly 20 thousand posts :squiffy:
I am not going to go looking for whatever I said, whenever I said it here :rolleyes:

Absolutely, like it was yesterday.
I was 17, working in a grotty office at the time, and was listening to Garry Davies (Radio 1 DJ) whilst eating a sandwich, feet on the table, not paying much attention to anything really, and then he played, What Difference Does it Make, wow, I hadn't heard anything like it, I was instantly hooked from that point. I wrote down the The Smiths on a piece of paper, and got my Mum to buy me the single the next day, and played it non stop. The old man hated it, kept saying that he could sing better, and how out of tune he was etc etc which made it even better.
I have introduced my Kids to Morrissey, and my eldest daughter has come along to a few gigs and has really enjoyed it, and I am glad to see Morrissey and the Smiths still have appeal.
Went to see the Smiths (Meat is Murder Tour) in Chippenham (talk about provincial towns for the latest tour) probably 1986(got the ticket stub somewhere) Fingers crossed for tomorrow, hopefully get Tix for Plymouth.

I remember watching Top Of The Pops back in the early 80's and Morrissey was performing Charming Man, I was mesmerised. The first time I saw The Smiths perform was at a venue called The Mayfair in Newcastle, sadly no longer here. Morrissey stormed off the stage when a crowd of punks started spitting at him and throwing beer cans. Anyway he returned and I caught one of his gladioli that he threw into the crowd. I have seen The Smiths several times and Morrissey as a solo performer. My own children are now grown up and are avid Smiths fans too, job well done methinks.

Back
Top Bottom