+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you remember the first time you heard The Smiths or Morrissey

Default Re: Do you remember the first time you heard The Smiths or Morrissey

It was "There Is A Light", 12 years ago, while driving. I was addicted from the very moment.

Hello solo, btw. I'm new but still a long time reader, so... it doesn't surprise me that my nick wasn't already in use. U hateful basterds, I'll enjoy annoying you with my colourful happy loving attitude

Default When was the first time you heard The Smiths/Morrissey

The first time I heard The smiths was someday in June 2010 I remember it was on sunday.

Default Re: When was the first time you heard The Smiths/Morrissey

If you did a little searching you'd find a thread with an almost identical title. Try not to flood the board with duplicate threads.

P.

Boychild mustn't tremble! cornelius blaze's Avatar

Default Re: When was the first time you heard The Smiths/Morrissey

Quote Originally Posted by Uncleskinny View Post
    If you did a little searching you'd find a thread with an almost identical title. Try not to flood the board with duplicate threads.

P.

Okay Uncle Kewpie.

Archangel risin' on the moon
    Just to save me from this tomb
    I'll cry the tears of time all day
    'Til she wipes them all away

I remember I first heard of them when I was doing some research into The Decemberists, a folk band based in Portland. I heard that the frontman Colin Meloy, was influenced by a band called The Smiths, so I thought I might like them. The first song I heard was 'The Queen is Dead' and I didn't care for it very much. I didn't listen to them again for another year, when I decided to give them another listen. I found 'Frankly Mr Shankly' and 'Big Mouth Strikes Again' and was hooked ever since. I was put off Morrissey by what a lot of Smiths fans said about it not being particularly good. Fortunately, November Spawned a Monster cleared me of that misconception. Now, a year later I've got everything by the Smiths save 'Jean,' and 'Wonderful Woman,' and the majority of Morrissey's solo stuff. Through him I have also discovered Siouxsie and the Banshees, another sensational band.

About 1985, lying in the bath about 10.30, listening to John Peel, as a teenager. He played Reel Around the Fountain and I had never heard anything like it. In fact, it was terrifying. Nearly 30 years on I'm still entranced and getting my first Morrissey tattoo in a couple of days time.

It was 1988, I was 12 years old, and my older sister had given me her copy of The Queen is Dead. I was completely moved by The Boy with the Thorn in His Side because I was feeling isolated at that time and even though I didn't understand much of the song, I got that part and I generally just loved the music. The title track was great for me - fast and rowdy - and the last two songs also quickly became favorites because of their lyrics and beautiful melodies. My sister's boyfriend then left Viva Hate in our kitchen drawer and I soon fell in love with that album, too. We lived in a small town in the midwest where access to anything was very difficult, but we went on a summer vacation to NYC and I was determined to get anything I could. I found a copy of Mick Middles' "The Smiths: The Complete Story," and I was in complete awe to have found so much information in one place about my heroes. I also picked up a few more albums on that trip and I've loved them ever since.

I had just turned 12 years old, in June of 1993, and I was attending a summer day camp. Mostly arts and crafts, and some writing. A girl who I was friendly with, Julie Tatarowicz, was always wearing Morrissey t-shirts. The first I remember her wearing was one with the single cover to "We Hate it When Our Friends Become Successful". I asked her who this guy with the cute geek glasses on her shirt was, and she said "His name is Morrissey. He's soo amazing, and sensitive, and really alternative." I remember thinking how clean-cut and not alternative he looked, compared to what I thought of as alternative at the time, which was grunge. Very shallow of me, I know.

Anyway, Julie, being the sweet gal she was, made me a duplicate copy of "Viva Hate" (which she said I just had to listen to and was her favorite of his solo albums at the time) on cassette tape, and I couldn't believe how unique the music was that I was hearing. The lyrics were so intelligent and full of yearning, and the music was beautiful, and I was so taken with his warm, lovely voice.
    I've been a fan ever since.
    Last edited by Giselle; July 14, 2012 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Giselle View Post
    I had just turned 12 years old, in June of 1993, and I was attending a summer day camp. Mostly arts and crafts, and some writing. A girl who I was friendly with, and a year older than me, Julie Tatarowicz, was always wearing Morrissey t-shirts. The first I remember her wearing was one with the single cover to "We Hate it When Our Friends Become Successful". I asked her who this guy with the cute geek glasses on her shirt was, and she said "His name is Morrissey. He's soo amazing, and sensitive, and really alternative." I remember thinking how clean-cut and not alternative he looked, compared to what I thought of as alternative at the time, which was grunge. Very shallow of me, I know.

Anyway, Julie, being the sweet gal she was, made me a duplicate copy of "Viva Hate" on cassette tape, and I couldn't believe how unique the music was I was hearing. It was edgy and beautiful, really classic but very modern. I've been a fan ever since.
    Now 12 year old girls listen to Justin Bieber!!!

Yeah. I think it was in the Broadfield pub on Abbeydale rd. Sheffield. Girlfriend in a coma was on the jukebox. I didn't take any notice of it and didn't become a fan until about 2 yrs. later when someone with the nickname 'flexiface' gave me a tape with stuff from Hatful and The world won't listen on.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicarinacoma View Post
    Yeah. I think it was in the Broadfield pub on Abbeydale rd. Sheffield. Girlfriend in a coma was on the jukebox. I didn't take any notice of it and didn't become a fan until about 2 yrs. later when someone with the nickname 'flexiface' gave me a tape with stuff from Hatful and The world won't listen on.

Well I had heard the name The Smiths and, er, I liked the name. SO I looked them up on Spotify (this was only a matter of years ago) and put on the only song of their's I'd properly heard of (This Charming Man, which I recalled from a Guitarist magazine interview with Johnny Marr, whom I was then unfamiliar with) and swooned with delight.

I was rather a big Van Halen fan at this point I recall (bizarre right?) and The Smiths made me realise how utterly misguided I was - Van Halen were flashy meaningless showoffs making pumped up cartoon rock, I now realised. The Smiths were my first contact with "alternative" music, which is a sphere whose history I am now relatively well versed in.

I digested as much of their discography as I could that day. On Spotify. Spotify is god damn amazing.

That isn't even an interesting story but it's a very vivid memory. Such is the power of Moz and the Smiths I suppose.

It was probably when WDDIM made the UK top 20 in early '84 [I don't remember hearing TCM which made the top 30 late in '83] there was an interview with Morrissey in Smash Hits a few months later when HKIMN was in the charts and upon reading that I knew I'd found my leader

I heard them being interviewed on Piccadilly Radio in mid '83 too. [Mike Sweeney's daytime show]
    What do we get for our trouble and pain ?
    Just a rented room in Whalley Range
    What do we get for our trouble and pain ?
    ...Whalley Range !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123