+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you remember the first time you heard The Smiths or Morrissey

In my own Strangeways
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Default Re: Do you remember the first time you heard The Smiths or Morrissey

It was "There Is A Light", 12 years ago, while driving. I was addicted from the very moment.

Hello solo, btw. I'm new but still a long time reader, so... it doesn't surprise me that my nick wasn't already in use. U hateful basterds, I'll enjoy annoying you with my colourful happy loving attitude

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3

Default When was the first time you heard The Smiths/Morrissey

The first time I heard The smiths was someday in June 2010 I remember it was on sunday.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 15

Default Re: When was the first time you heard The Smiths/Morrissey

If you did a little searching you'd find a thread with an almost identical title. Try not to flood the board with duplicate threads.

P.

0 Not allowed!

Boychild mustn't tremble! cornelius blaze's Avatar
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

Default Re: When was the first time you heard The Smiths/Morrissey

Quote Originally Posted by Uncleskinny View Post
    If you did a little searching you'd find a thread with an almost identical title. Try not to flood the board with duplicate threads.

P.

Okay Uncle Kewpie.

0 Not allowed!

Archangel risin' on the moon
    Just to save me from this tomb
    I'll cry the tears of time all day
    'Til she wipes them all away

Thumbs Up

I remember I first heard of them when I was doing some research into The Decemberists, a folk band based in Portland. I heard that the frontman Colin Meloy, was influenced by a band called The Smiths, so I thought I might like them. The first song I heard was 'The Queen is Dead' and I didn't care for it very much. I didn't listen to them again for another year, when I decided to give them another listen. I found 'Frankly Mr Shankly' and 'Big Mouth Strikes Again' and was hooked ever since. I was put off Morrissey by what a lot of Smiths fans said about it not being particularly good. Fortunately, November Spawned a Monster cleared me of that misconception. Now, a year later I've got everything by the Smiths save 'Jean,' and 'Wonderful Woman,' and the majority of Morrissey's solo stuff. Through him I have also discovered Siouxsie and the Banshees, another sensational band.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up

About 1985, lying in the bath about 10.30, listening to John Peel, as a teenager. He played Reel Around the Fountain and I had never heard anything like it. In fact, it was terrifying. Nearly 30 years on I'm still entranced and getting my first Morrissey tattoo in a couple of days time.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up

It was 1988, I was 12 years old, and my older sister had given me her copy of The Queen is Dead. I was completely moved by The Boy with the Thorn in His Side because I was feeling isolated at that time and even though I didn't understand much of the song, I got that part and I generally just loved the music. The title track was great for me - fast and rowdy - and the last two songs also quickly became favorites because of their lyrics and beautiful melodies. My sister's boyfriend then left Viva Hate in our kitchen drawer and I soon fell in love with that album, too. We lived in a small town in the midwest where access to anything was very difficult, but we went on a summer vacation to NYC and I was determined to get anything I could. I found a copy of Mick Middles' "The Smiths: The Complete Story," and I was in complete awe to have found so much information in one place about my heroes. I also picked up a few more albums on that trip and I've loved them ever since.

0 Not allowed!

wasted 8 of her 9 lives. Giselle's Avatar
    Thumbs Up

I had just turned 12 years old, in June of 1993, and I was attending a summer day camp. Mostly arts and crafts, and some writing. A girl who I was friendly with, Julie Tatarowicz, was always wearing Morrissey t-shirts. The first I remember her wearing was one with the single cover to "We Hate it When Our Friends Become Successful". I asked her who this guy with the cute geek glasses on her shirt was, and she said "His name is Morrissey. He's soo amazing, and sensitive, and really alternative." I remember thinking how clean-cut and not alternative he looked, compared to what I thought of as alternative at the time, which was grunge. Very shallow of me, I know.

Anyway, Julie, being the sweet gal she was, made me a duplicate copy of "Viva Hate" (which she said I just had to listen to and was her favorite of his solo albums at the time) on cassette tape, and I couldn't believe how unique the music was that I was hearing. The lyrics were so intelligent and full of yearning, and the music was beautiful, and I was so taken with his warm, lovely voice.
    I've been a fan ever since.

0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Giselle; July 14, 2012 at 12:07 PM.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Giselle View Post
    I had just turned 12 years old, in June of 1993, and I was attending a summer day camp. Mostly arts and crafts, and some writing. A girl who I was friendly with, and a year older than me, Julie Tatarowicz, was always wearing Morrissey t-shirts. The first I remember her wearing was one with the single cover to "We Hate it When Our Friends Become Successful". I asked her who this guy with the cute geek glasses on her shirt was, and she said "His name is Morrissey. He's soo amazing, and sensitive, and really alternative." I remember thinking how clean-cut and not alternative he looked, compared to what I thought of as alternative at the time, which was grunge. Very shallow of me, I know.

Anyway, Julie, being the sweet gal she was, made me a duplicate copy of "Viva Hate" on cassette tape, and I couldn't believe how unique the music was I was hearing. It was edgy and beautiful, really classic but very modern. I've been a fan ever since.
    Now 12 year old girls listen to Justin Bieber!!!

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up

Yeah. I think it was in the Broadfield pub on Abbeydale rd. Sheffield. Girlfriend in a coma was on the jukebox. I didn't take any notice of it and didn't become a fan until about 2 yrs. later when someone with the nickname 'flexiface' gave me a tape with stuff from Hatful and The world won't listen on.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Vicarinacoma View Post
    Yeah. I think it was in the Broadfield pub on Abbeydale rd. Sheffield. Girlfriend in a coma was on the jukebox. I didn't take any notice of it and didn't become a fan until about 2 yrs. later when someone with the nickname 'flexiface' gave me a tape with stuff from Hatful and The world won't listen on.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up

Well I had heard the name The Smiths and, er, I liked the name. SO I looked them up on Spotify (this was only a matter of years ago) and put on the only song of their's I'd properly heard of (This Charming Man, which I recalled from a Guitarist magazine interview with Johnny Marr, whom I was then unfamiliar with) and swooned with delight.

I was rather a big Van Halen fan at this point I recall (bizarre right?) and The Smiths made me realise how utterly misguided I was - Van Halen were flashy meaningless showoffs making pumped up cartoon rock, I now realised. The Smiths were my first contact with "alternative" music, which is a sphere whose history I am now relatively well versed in.

I digested as much of their discography as I could that day. On Spotify. Spotify is god damn amazing.

That isn't even an interesting story but it's a very vivid memory. Such is the power of Moz and the Smiths I suppose.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up

It was probably when WDDIM made the UK top 20 in early '84 [I don't remember hearing TCM which made the top 30 late in '83] there was an interview with Morrissey in Smash Hits a few months later when HKIMN was in the charts and upon reading that I knew I'd found my leader

I heard them being interviewed on Piccadilly Radio in mid '83 too. [Mike Sweeney's daytime show]

0 Not allowed!
    What do we get for our trouble and pain ?
    Just a rented room in Whalley Range
    What do we get for our trouble and pain ?
    ...Whalley Range !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123