The Smiths - Unreleased Demos & Instrumentals [Bootleg Vinyl Rip]

Sorry didn’t mean to offend! (was it you that did the rip?)

I mean that if the vinyl is stereo, and someone was able to rip it to digital then they either purposefully converted it to mono (unlikely) or their set up to rip vinyl is all wrong.

I guess that doesn’t make you stupid. You’re right and I’m sorry.

Motorways found the new bootleg, bought it, took photos of it, ripped it, chopped it up, labelled it, converted to AIFF, converted to MP3, uploaded it, posted it. From time to time I do the same and I know how much time and effort it takes.

It's easy to forget how much effort has gone into the download link. Motorways, I really appreciate it. If you like, I'll dig deep and buy that second phono cable for you ;)

Motorways found the new bootleg, bought it, took photos of it, ripped it, chopped it up, labelled it, converted to AIFF, converted to MP3, uploaded it, posted it. From time to time I do the same and I know how much time and effort it takes.

It's easy to forget how much effort has gone into the download link.

I rip loads of vinyl too, so I know how much effort it takes – but that was my point, all that effort and somewhere along the line a fundamental mistake is made which intrinsically damages the quality of the rip. I was surprised that someone committed enough to go to all that effort would not have noticed a stereo to mono conversion taking place.

But anyway – water under the bridge – we now have a good stereo source and I’ve apologised for calling him stupid. Let’s be friends!

That blogger has gone to a lot of trouble with these tracks - as did Motorways and Steve at Smith Torrents with the original vinyl rips. But, let's face it, there is only so much you can do to polish up unfinished, unreleased demos that have been ripped from a vinyl bootleg. Given that these tracks were distributed internally by Warner Brothers (see Stephane's back story for the tracks) then CD / digital versions of these tracks exist - and might at some stage see the light of day in an official boxed set.

Any more effort surely misses the point that these leaks give us an insight into the creative recording process of the band and should be seen as such, we should not be trying to turn them into anything other.

Having said that, I've downloaded Motorways original, the Crazy-Col remixes, Steve at Soundsville's rip with the extra track and Independent Trucker's versions...

Dave

drdannyace said:
Shoplifters is a different take to the previous version ... listen to the ending!

Cheers!

Vulgar picture is different from the previously leaked version as well. For instance, listen to the guitar at the very beginning.

Not listened to the Stereo Rip yet – but surely they won’t be different takes?

Is it not just that additional instrumentation has been revealed by including the other channel?

Not listened to the Stereo Rip yet – but surely they won’t be different takes?

Is it not just that additional instrumentation has been revealed by including the other channel?

Nah, I think he means it's a different take than that which surfaced some time ago. And it is.

I still don't get the point of making this (and Revelations) a vinyl only bootleg. We could have these tracks in flawless digital quality instead of vinyl rips!

Anyway, thanks to all the rippers ... I would have been lost without you!

goddard is right, this version of reel around the fountain is by and away the best ... kind of in the middle ground of the earthy peel version and the sanitized debut version

I couldn't find a good scan of the cover so I made my own.

smithsdemoscover.jpg

Last edited:
motorways, you're a star. And deeply appreciated for making this available to all of us.

Ignore the people with six posts who contribute nothing but sarcasm.

We appreciate what you've done. It was historic.

With gratitude,
unrulyboy

Back
Top Bottom