Any Church fans here?

Mars_Rover

I came across this wonderful and wacky clip of The Church receiving a Hall of Fame award at an Australian music show last week. Steve Kilbey is looking healthy and takes us through a very energetic and funny 15-minute history of Aussie rock 'n roll, complete with imitations: http://www.messandnoise.com/news/4104953

Soon to be classic awards-show line, "I'd like to thank God for giving us so much unbearable talent!"

Needless to say, the other boys hardly get a chance to speak but they're looking good, even if the once-beautiful Marty Willson-Piper is slowly morphing into Neil Young.

Last edited:
One of the most underated bands EVER. I need to eventually snag all the CDs but for now I have a healthy collection of all their 80s vinyl to enjoy :thumb:

I love them. They were part of my holy trinity in high school - The Smiths, Depeche Mode, and The Church. I got to meet them when I was like 16 back on the East Coast.
I really liked Marty's solo album too.

Last edited:
I got to meet them when I was like 16 back on the East Coast.

Do share some details about that if you would! Were they "aloof and mysterious," to quote Marty?

I've never seen Kilbey act like he does during that acceptance speech; he always seemed such a dour character with the press, and quite reserved onstage. I assume he's off the H now, maybe that accounts for the personality change, and/or fatherhood has brightened him.

I was young and silly. Only a couple hundred people came to see them at an auditorium at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. Afterwards I managed to talk my way into the dressing room, said hi and just listened to them chit chat for a bit (no I don't remember what about), and they signed my jeans. They seemed perfectly normal.

What did you guys think of the "Anna Miranda"' track? The way it has part of "Under the Milky Way" on it. Kinda cool...and that bass line etc. Nice :guitar:

I like The Church a lot. I have 6 of their albums and I only wish I would have discovered them long before I did. And yes, I believe Steve has been off the heroin for about 10 years.

they're rereleasing their back catalogue in honor of their 30th anniversary with lots of extras..most of which have been released elsewhere but still...Steve's acceptance speech was awesome, in length and humor.

"Unguarded Moment" was one of the few songs that, as soon as Iheard it, ijust HAD to get hold of!!!
I'm not the worlds biggest "Church-goer" ( sorry!!! couldn't resist that...) but i have 4 albums, and a VHS of their "Hits"....
Oh, and the "Jack frost" album regularly gets dragged out and played loud too.....I.E....about 3 mins from now, while we're on the suject!!!

I like The Church a lot. I have 6 of their albums and I only wish I would have discovered them long before I did. And yes, I believe Steve has been off the heroin for about 10 years.

While I was checking out when Steve was arrested (1999 - how the time flieth), news of an authorized Kilbey bio turns up. Who knew? This review in Pop Matters is interesting, because it compares Morrissey with Steve Kilbey. Well, it's certainly more apt than the Taylor Swift comparison:
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review...eve-kilbey-and-the-church-by-robert-dean-lur/

they're rereleasing their back catalogue in honor of their 30th anniversary with lots of extras..most of which have been released elsewhere but still...

That's awesome news. Probably will have better quality though. Glad I held off. Better start saving then :)

Back
Top Bottom