Manics wax lyrical about Mozzer's lyrics

ineresting piece, thanks for posting.
i dont know why i cant really get into the manics, i love there early stuff and i think lyrically their sound, and i like what they stand for, but i cant listen to a whole album all the way through. i,m either heraing the music or listening to the lyrics, but cant do both...............maybe an attention span problem, who knows.

..I'm with you on that point Smiify.. sometimes the "Bombast" of the music can detract from the lyrics ( not just with MSP....I cannot unnerstand WTF Muse are waffling on about either...).... co-incidentally, I Just tried to listen to the thing, but the Music in the Background was WAY too distracting, so I just clicked off it instead....

I think you guys may be thinking it about it too much. But if it's not for you it's not for you :)

What i like about them is they are form a similar place to where Moz is from. Very working class. They have all known each other since they were little kids and the drummer and singer are cousins. The band members have remained the same for the entire existence of the band albeit Richey's disappearance. And they write about the struggle of the outsider and them being from Wales strengthens that even more because it used to be considered a bit of a joke if you came from Wales and even still to this day if you can believe it?

Anyway I may be wasting my breath but there are just some thoughts :)

I've always found them bordering on the ridiculous lyrically, with all their earnest political bombast. Pop pamphleteering isn't all that impressive. But I don't mind. :) Musically, I think they're great. I couldn't care less if they're working class or not by background, but things like that seems to matter to a lot of people.

cheers

I think you guys may be thinking it about it too much. But if it's not for you it's not for you :)

What i like about them is they are form a similar place to where Moz is from. Very working class. They have all known each other since they were little kids and the drummer and singer are cousins. The band members have remained the same for the entire existence of the band albeit Richey's disappearance. And they write about the struggle of the outsider and them being from Wales strengthens that even more because it used to be considered a bit of a joke if you came from Wales and even still to this day if you can believe it?

Anyway I may be wasting my breath but there are just some thoughts :)

They maybe working class, but they are from a different orbit to Morrissey.
Not all working class people are alike ( I know you didn't mean they were).
The manic are working class but that had been rubbed out of them, they seemed more like your average student band.
which is why they are good at listing influences but they lack any real depth or attack.
At the start they tried this New York Doll stance but they were just pathetic, they had no danger what so ever.
They have managed a few good songs though

Like the previous guy said; they lack any real depth or attack. That's their main problem. They haven't got anything to say. And their music is more than often terribly boring.

I think Nicky Wire is an interesting person, and Richey is/was a very interesting person. I don't mind some of their music, but, for me, I just cannot get past Bradfield's voice. It's hideously ugly.
As for the Moz/MSP working class thing, the key difference, it would seem to me, apart from the 60s/80s schism, is that Richey and Nicky went to university. Morrissey did not.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom