Morrissey in Trafalgar Sq.

Sheridan Whiteside

Sweet and Tender Hooligan
A mate of mine was on his way to work this morning and spotted this standing in Trafalgar Sq.

Looks as if its outside The National Gallery.

Alan

http://www.folkradio.co.uk/2010/04/david-owens-5000-morris-dancers-at-the-southbank/
owen.jpg

David Owen’s 5000 Morris Dancers

by Alex on 15 April, 2010

in Art and Culture,Music News

I‘m sure some, if not many of you have come across the work of designer David Owen which continues to attract attention with his amusing, provoking and beautiful folk-related pop art images. The one above features Morrissey as a Morris Dancer.

From September 3rd-5th 2010 David is to have a major installation across the buildings of The Southbank supported by Arts Council England. In David’s own words:

“5000 Morris Dancers” – Lord Coe was certainly being sarcastic when he quipped about what he would have at the London 2012 Olympic opening ceremony – he knew that the morris dancer was an iconic English image, but he also knew that the morris dancer is considered by most people to be a figure of fun and ridicule. I’d like to demonstrate that 5000 morris dancers can look cool. 5000 morris dancers can be iconic – can take your breath away – and you can still enjoy the fun inherent in morris.

Watch out for more details coming soon. To buy original and limited edition works by David Owen contact The Stark Gallery at www.starkgallery.com.

I bought a copy of the print from a shop in Whitby a few years ago. I think the designer worked in the shop :)
Dave

My boss saw them "littered" along Fleet street and wondered what they were for. Thanks for the answer, seems a strange thing to do but funny all the same.

Things to do tomorrow: take a walk to Trafalgar sq. I was actually there yesterday but I didn't see that.

Things to do tomorrow: take a walk to Trafalgar sq. I was actually there yesterday but I didn't see that.

How do you expect to bump into the real moving Morrissey when you can't even find the standing cardboard one? :straightface: Seriously, you need to work on your serendipity skillz. Go scratch a dog tummy and tell him you love him. It's like a guarantee good luck move.

How do you expect to bump into the real moving Morrissey when you can't even find the standing cardboard one? :straightface: Seriously, you need to work on your serendipity skillz. Go scratch a dog tummy and tell him you love him. It's like a guarantee good luck move.

Oh believe me, if it's just one person on here who would actually manage to bump into Morrissey, it's me! And I would probably manage to do to something really embarrasing too.

Re: Not very flattering . .

. . . at all.

Pure talent shines through more and creates a wider publicity . . . than . . .

. . . . mimickry.

Oh Morrissey, we know you cannot have given your blessing to this . . . this . . . 'stunt'.

:blushing:

IX

Got a reply from David. They are not for sale, but he's expecting them all to be taken home, and possibly appear on Ebay soon. If you're in London, and you can grab one, then f***ING GRAB ONE!

P.

What exactly is a Morris Dancer?

Got a reply from David. They are not for sale, but he's expecting them all to be taken home, and possibly appear on Ebay soon. If you're in London, and you can grab one, then f***ING GRAB ONE!

P.

Apart from Trafalgar Square, where these are found?

http://www.folkradio.co.uk/2010/04/david-owens-5000-morris-dancers-at-the-southbank/
owen.jpg

David Owen’s 5000 Morris Dancers

by Alex on 15 April, 2010

in Art and Culture,Music News

I‘m sure some, if not many of you have come across the work of designer David Owen which continues to attract attention with his amusing, provoking and beautiful folk-related pop art images. The one above features Morrissey as a Morris Dancer.

From September 3rd-5th 2010 David is to have a major installation across the buildings of The Southbank supported by Arts Council England. In David’s own words:

“5000 Morris Dancers” – Lord Coe was certainly being sarcastic when he quipped about what he would have at the London 2012 Olympic opening ceremony – he knew that the morris dancer was an iconic English image, but he also knew that the morris dancer is considered by most people to be a figure of fun and ridicule. I’d like to demonstrate that 5000 morris dancers can look cool. 5000 morris dancers can be iconic – can take your breath away – and you can still enjoy the fun inherent in morris.

Watch out for more details coming soon. To buy original and limited edition works by David Owen contact The Stark Gallery at www.starkgallery.com.

I bought a copy of the print from a shop in Whitby a few years ago. I think the designer worked in the shop :)
Dave

I like this,I'll never look at Morris(sey) dancers the same way again

Back
Top Bottom