Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 78

Thread: Morrissey in Trafalgar Sq.

  1. #1
    Sweet and Tender Hooligan Sheridan Whiteside's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Whitley Bay (the seaside town they forgot to close down)
    Posts
    362

    Default Morrissey in Trafalgar Sq.

    A mate of mine was on his way to work this morning and spotted this standing in Trafalgar Sq.

    Looks as if its outside The National Gallery.

    Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    England is mine and it owes me a living.

  2. #2
    Born Into Slavery DAVIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Welsh Mountains!
    Posts
    5,431
    Blog Entries
    34

    Default Re: Morrissey in Trafalgar Sq.

    Woah, Morrissey in London! Was he attempted to nick it?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Morrissey in Trafalgar Sq.

    http://www.folkradio.co.uk/2010/04/d...the-southbank/

    David Owen’s 5000 Morris Dancers

    by Alex on 15 April, 2010

    in Art and Culture,Music News

    I‘m sure some, if not many of you have come across the work of designer David Owen which continues to attract attention with his amusing, provoking and beautiful folk-related pop art images. The one above features Morrissey as a Morris Dancer.

    From September 3rd-5th 2010 David is to have a major installation across the buildings of The Southbank supported by Arts Council England. In David’s own words:

    “5000 Morris Dancers” – Lord Coe was certainly being sarcastic when he quipped about what he would have at the London 2012 Olympic opening ceremony – he knew that the morris dancer was an iconic English image, but he also knew that the morris dancer is considered by most people to be a figure of fun and ridicule. I’d like to demonstrate that 5000 morris dancers can look cool. 5000 morris dancers can be iconic – can take your breath away – and you can still enjoy the fun inherent in morris.

    Watch out for more details coming soon. To buy original and limited edition works by David Owen contact The Stark Gallery at www.starkgallery.com.

    I bought a copy of the print from a shop in Whitby a few years ago. I think the designer worked in the shop
    Dave
    Jools Holland: "Knock Knock!"
    Morrissey: "I'm not in!"
    Jools: "Oh, come on."
    Morrissey: "I refuse to open the door."

  4. #4

    Default Re: Morrissey in Trafalgar Sq.

    The designer's website http://theinkcorporation.co.uk/

    Dave
    Jools Holland: "Knock Knock!"
    Morrissey: "I'm not in!"
    Jools: "Oh, come on."
    Morrissey: "I refuse to open the door."

  5. #5

    Default Re: Morrissey in Trafalgar Sq.

    My boss saw them "littered" along Fleet street and wondered what they were for. Thanks for the answer, seems a strange thing to do but funny all the same.

  6. #6
    killing threads since 09 mr.m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    422

    Default Re: Morrissey in Trafalgar Sq.

    haha quality

  7. #7

    Default Re: Morrissey in Trafalgar Sq.

    Things to do tomorrow: take a walk to Trafalgar sq. I was actually there yesterday but I didn't see that.
    It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock'n'roll.

  8. #8
    My secret's my enzyme. CrystalGeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Azusa Adjacent
    Posts
    24,162
    Blog Entries
    43

    Default Re: Morrissey in Trafalgar Sq.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie London View Post
    Things to do tomorrow: take a walk to Trafalgar sq. I was actually there yesterday but I didn't see that.
    How do you expect to bump into the real moving Morrissey when you can't even find the standing cardboard one? Seriously, you need to work on your serendipity skillz. Go scratch a dog tummy and tell him you love him. It's like a guarantee good luck move.



    Quote Originally Posted by !Viva Hate! View Post
    Maybe Geezer can give us advice seeing as she is an upstanding citizen in her community, trusted confidant to her friends, is extremely intelligent and properly educated, & just generally has her shit together in ways we could never hope to?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Morrissey in Trafalgar Sq.

    Quote Originally Posted by CrystalGeezer View Post
    How do you expect to bump into the real moving Morrissey when you can't even find the standing cardboard one? Seriously, you need to work on your serendipity skillz. Go scratch a dog tummy and tell him you love him. It's like a guarantee good luck move.
    Oh believe me, if it's just one person on here who would actually manage to bump into Morrissey, it's me! And I would probably manage to do to something really embarrasing too.
    It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock'n'roll.

  10. #10
    Be work of art or wear 1 goinghome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    2,100

    Default Re: Morrissey in Trafalgar Sq.


  11. #11

    Default Re: Morrissey in Trafalgar Sq.

    This is too good an opportunity to pass up. I've e-mailed him asking if they will be for sale.

    P.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Morrissey in Trafalgar Sq.

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncleskinny View Post
    This is too good an opportunity to pass up. I've e-mailed him asking if they will be for sale.

    P.
    Don't forget to tell us the answer, I would love to have one of those at home!
    It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock'n'roll.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Not very flattering . .

    . . . at all.

    Pure talent shines through more and creates a wider publicity . . . than . . .

    . . . . mimickry.

    Oh Morrissey, we know you cannot have given your blessing to this . . . this . . . 'stunt'.



    IX

  14. #14

    Default Re: Morrissey in Trafalgar Sq.

    Got a reply from David. They are not for sale, but he's expecting them all to be taken home, and possibly appear on Ebay soon. If you're in London, and you can grab one, then FUCKING GRAB ONE!

    P.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Librarian On Fire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Old Valhalla Road Crematorium
    Posts
    416

    Default Re: Morrissey in Trafalgar Sq.

    Uncle Skinny. Would you be able to let us know if the image is available for retail and details of how to obtain.

    Thanks

  16. #16
    My secret's my enzyme. CrystalGeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Azusa Adjacent
    Posts
    24,162
    Blog Entries
    43

    Default Re: Morrissey in Trafalgar Sq.

    What exactly is a Morris Dancer?



    Quote Originally Posted by !Viva Hate! View Post
    Maybe Geezer can give us advice seeing as she is an upstanding citizen in her community, trusted confidant to her friends, is extremely intelligent and properly educated, & just generally has her shit together in ways we could never hope to?

  17. #17

    Default Re: Morrissey in Trafalgar Sq.

    Quote Originally Posted by Librarian On Fire View Post
    Uncle Skinny. Would you be able to let us know if the image is available for retail and details of how to obtain.

    Thanks
    Indeed - they can be bought from here...

    http://theinkcorporation.co.uk/shop/

    P.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Morrissey in Trafalgar Sq.



    This.




  19. #19

    Default Re: Morrissey in Trafalgar Sq.

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncleskinny View Post
    Got a reply from David. They are not for sale, but he's expecting them all to be taken home, and possibly appear on Ebay soon. If you're in London, and you can grab one, then FUCKING GRAB ONE!

    P.
    Apart from Trafalgar Square, where these are found?

  20. #20

    Default Re: Morrissey in Trafalgar Sq.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave2006 View Post
    http://www.folkradio.co.uk/2010/04/d...the-southbank/

    David Owen’s 5000 Morris Dancers

    by Alex on 15 April, 2010

    in Art and Culture,Music News

    I‘m sure some, if not many of you have come across the work of designer David Owen which continues to attract attention with his amusing, provoking and beautiful folk-related pop art images. The one above features Morrissey as a Morris Dancer.

    From September 3rd-5th 2010 David is to have a major installation across the buildings of The Southbank supported by Arts Council England. In David’s own words:

    “5000 Morris Dancers” – Lord Coe was certainly being sarcastic when he quipped about what he would have at the London 2012 Olympic opening ceremony – he knew that the morris dancer was an iconic English image, but he also knew that the morris dancer is considered by most people to be a figure of fun and ridicule. I’d like to demonstrate that 5000 morris dancers can look cool. 5000 morris dancers can be iconic – can take your breath away – and you can still enjoy the fun inherent in morris.

    Watch out for more details coming soon. To buy original and limited edition works by David Owen contact The Stark Gallery at www.starkgallery.com.

    I bought a copy of the print from a shop in Whitby a few years ago. I think the designer worked in the shop
    Dave
    I like this,I'll never look at Morris(sey) dancers the same way again

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •