Belle and Sebastian fans: They're on Conan O'Brien tonight.

I know!

I was actually watching Conan by chance last night (was about to go to bed) when I heard they were going to be on. So I managed to find the one B&S bootleg I owned, popped it in and taped it. It was a good performance (was this their debut on American television?) and it psyched me up for the May 6th show in NYC.

It kind of upset me that I've lost touch with knowing about things like this; if I hadn't flipped the channel to NBC, I'd have never known about it.

I wouldn't have known about it had wayward angel not mentioned it so thanks :p
I'm a fairly new B&s fan.. I know they have a male and female singer, Was she there last night as well? If so i wasn't sure who she was since they had so many people on stage! Lazy Line Painter Jane is the best song.

> I wouldn't have known about it had wayward angel not mentioned it so
> thanks :p
> I'm a fairly new B&s fan.. I know they have a male and female singer, Was
> she there last night as well? If so i wasn't sure who she was since they
> had so many people on stage! Lazy Line Painter Jane is the best song.

Isobel (sp?) Campbell handles most of the female vocal parts - she was the one playing the cello (you may have missed her, as she got ZERO airtime).

But that leads me to another question...how come Sarah sang the "chapter is closed" part? I always thought that it was Campbell's annoying falsetto on the record.

> Isobel (sp?) Campbell handles most of the female vocal parts - she was the
> one playing the cello (you may have missed her, as she got ZERO airtime).
> But that leads me to another question...how come Sarah sang the
> "chapter is closed" part? I always thought that it was
> Campbell's annoying falsetto on the record.

Lifeguard, that was Isobel on the cello? I taped it last night, and watched it today, but I couldn't see her anywhere. On the Jeepster board they can't decide whether it was her or not - haha. I did hear something about her being ill and that Rasputina's Melora Creager was going to fill in for her. Not sure, will have to watch it again later. Oh and this was their first US TV appearance.

> Lifeguard, that was Isobel on the cello? I taped it last night, and
> watched it today, but I couldn't see her anywhere. On the Jeepster board
> they can't decide whether it was her or not - haha. I did hear something
> about her being ill and that Rasputina's Melora Creager was going to fill
> in for her. Not sure, will have to watch it again later.

Well, you already know a lot more about the current state of affairs of B&S than I do, Unruly. I just assumed it was her, as she had blonde hair and was playing the cello, but it WOULD make sense that she got no airtime, if she was filling in.

Oh and this was
> their first US TV appearance.

Thanks!

Belle and Sebastian: They put America to sleep on Conan

> Well, you already know a lot more about the current state of affairs of
> B&S than I do, Unruly. I just assumed it was her, as she had blonde hair
> and was playing the cello, but it WOULD make sense that she got no
> airtime, if she was filling in.

> Oh and this was

> Thanks!

I happened to catch Conan that night as well. First time I saw Belle and Sebastian perform. They weren't terrible, but first of all, that song
sounded like every other song they do, no? And the male singer, he has
got to go. Does he ever smile? Why is he such a bore? Isn't rock and roll, even when it's folky, supposed to be FUN? He is what ruins the band for me. I can almost like them, but then his voice is always the same on every song, always yapping some tedious lyrics in always the same monotonous, serious, Scottish accented style. The lyrics seem wordy without saying anything I care about. This band is a one-trick-pony.
They should have just done one EP some years back and then disbanded forever.

Re: Belle and Sebastian: They put America to sleep on Conan

> I happened to catch Conan that night as well. First time I saw Belle and
> Sebastian perform. They weren't terrible, but first of all, that song
> sounded like every other song they do, no?

No; most of their songs are better than that one.

> And the male singer, he has
> got to go. Does he ever smile?

Yes, and "the male singer" is the founder/songwriter/soul of Belle and Sebastian, so it really wouldn't be a good idea for him to go.

> Why is he such a bore?

I don't know that you can tell that about a person based on one performance on "Conan."

Isn't rock and roll,
> even when it's folky, supposed to be FUN?

Not necessarily. "Rock and roll" has a much more varied meaning than it did in the '50s.

He is what ruins the band for
> me. I can almost like them, but then his voice is always the same on every
> song,

Well, he only has one voice! And don't give me the ol' Mozzer excuse beccause his career spans a couple of decades, while we've only been listening to Stuart's for a few years.

always yapping some tedious lyrics in always the same monotonous,
> serious, Scottish accented style.

(see above)

The lyrics seem wordy without saying
> anything I care about. This band is a one-trick-pony.
> They should have just done one EP some years back and then disbanded
> forever.

It takes all kinds to make up a universe.

> No; most of their songs are better than that one.

What do you consider their best album and song?

The only song I really like is "The Boy With The Arab Strap."

I have not sampled "Tigermilk," and I understand bands tend
to have their best stuff on the first album, so perhaps
that is the gem I'm missing out on?

> Yes, and "the male singer" is the founder/songwriter/soul of
> Belle and Sebastian, so it really wouldn't be a good idea for him to go.

The music is kinda pleasant, but his voice and lyrics bug me if I listen
to more than one song in a row. In fact, I feel like puking all over
him.

> Well, he only has one voice! And don't give me the ol' Mozzer excuse
> beccause his career spans a couple of decades, while we've only been
> listening to Stuart's for a few years.

I don't know, I look in a record store and I see tons of CDs bulging out of
B&S's section. And I bet they all sound the same!

> It takes all kinds to make up a universe.

But why has B&S become a (the?) band of choice among Morrissey fans?
I don't see much connection. I would think B&S's fanbase would be
made up of aging baby boomers.

> What do you consider their best album and song?

That's a toughie...I think "Tigermilk" would definitely be up there. But "...Arab Strap" has a couple of my favorite songs, like "Dirty Dream Number Two."

> The only song I really like is "The Boy With The Arab Strap."

Really? I don't really like that particular one.

> I have not sampled "Tigermilk," and I understand bands tend
> to have their best stuff on the first album, so perhaps
> that is the gem I'm missing out on?

It's actually quite different than their follow-ups; it's a bit more rawwwwkin'.

> The music is kinda pleasant, but his voice and lyrics bug me if I listen
> to more than one song in a row. In fact, I feel like puking all over
> him.

So...you're NOT a fan, then??

> I don't know, I look in a record store and I see tons of CDs bulging out
> of
> B&S's section. And I bet they all sound the same!

Well, as similar as they're EXPECTED to sound, since they're all by the same band!

> But why has B&S become a (the?) band of choice among Morrissey fans?
> I don't see much connection.

Exactly. I don't understand why people think that B&S are the torch-carriers of the defunct Smiths; I don't see a connection at all.

OK, having said that, something popped into mind: the lyrics, though not really similar, both sort of create these romantic slice-of-life scenarios of melancholy British adolescents, with injections of humor and irony.

In defence of B&S .....

> I have not sampled "Tigermilk," and I understand bands tend
> to have their best stuff on the first album, so perhaps
> that is the gem I'm missing out on?

"Tigermilk" is my favourite album of all time, overtaking "The Queen Is Dead" some years ago, much to my dismay. I think it's a great pop album full of great hooks, fantastic lyrics and a certain naive charm. Plus the pure joy of making music. I'd urge you to have a good listen to it, preferably on a bus ride. "Tigermilk" sounds *fantastic* on a Bus. I used to listen to it going to and from University every day back in my last year in '99. No matter how wet, cold and shitty the day, I'd always ben cheered up by the time I got into the city.

I should point out that I don't think the random sampling of one song is really enough to "get" B*S. I had "If You're Feeling Sinister" for quite a long time before it worked its charm on me. It's kinda subtle music, and gets better and richer with each listen. As I've gotten older I've found the stuff which immediately strikes me as good doesn't always last the distance, but stuff it took me a while to get into still sounds great and fresh now.

> The music is kinda pleasant, but his voice and lyrics bug me if I listen
> to more than one song in a row. In fact, I feel like puking all over
> him.

I think Stuart Murdoch writes amazing "story songs" in a similar way to Lou Reed. I see a lot of similarities between Stuart's writing and Lou's "said songs" (Lisa Says, Caroline Says, Candy Says) in that his lyrics usually tell a tale.

> I don't know, I look in a record store and I see tons of CDs bulging out
> of
> B&S's section. And I bet they all sound the same!

Sure. In a way. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Seriously, though, I think they have changed. Not in a Radiohead-reinvention sort of way, though. "Tigermilk" is their indie-rock album. Guitars turned up, one quite dancy electronic song. "If You're Feeling Sinister" is more of a pastoral folk thing. Reminds me of Nick Drake. "The Boy with The Arab Strap" is more varied, and is (in my opinion) quite indebted to 80's post-punk pop. The guitar has quite a Spanish, flamenco feel, and the album reminds me of "High Land Hard Rain"-era Aztec Camera. And "Fold Your Hands Child ..." is their White Soul album. Take away the vocals and some of the songs could pass as backing tracks to 60s Motwon singles.

> But why has B&S become a (the?) band of choice among Morrissey fans?
> I don't see much connection. I would think B&S's fanbase would be
> made up of aging baby boomers.

I think that it's because B&S *care* in the same way The Smiths did. They pay a lot of attention to the way they present themselves, their image, their sleeves etc. B&S are probably the only band who include proper sleevenotes in their albums. All the small print in their record sleeves i worth reading. (Spot the trainspotter )

Another thing I really like about B&S is that they only release non-LP singles. None of this album track, remix and two live songs spread over 2 CDs or anything. Everything they've released is (in my opinion) essential. A compilation of their first EPs stand up next to the best albums of a lot of other bands.

Well, my opinion anyway ..... hope this helps ....

STH

27sebastian08.jpg

Ballboy

Have you heard any of Ballboy's stuff? It's reminiscent of early B&S to my ears, and rather fine too.

TMF

Re: Ballboy

> Have you heard any of Ballboy's stuff? It's reminiscent of early B&S to my
> ears, and rather fine too.

Ha!

Just got the new EP, "All the records on the radio are shite' a few hours ago. i have the compilation album too .... it's great. I heard them described as "Belle & Sebastian playing hopscotch with The Wedding Present" which is quite appropriate.

STH

> Have you heard any of Ballboy's stuff? It's reminiscent of early B&S to my
> ears, and rather fine too.

Good grief Ballboy are better than B&S. Ballboy are the one indie band which could possibly tip over into mainstream sucess. Although thier song about being in space is akin to B&S's one.

Sportique, the Heavy Blinkers and Camera Obscura they make my heart skip a beat.

> Sportique, the Heavy Blinkers and Camera Obscura they make my heart skip a
> beat.
I'd heartily agree with two of those, but I've never heard of the HB's. Can you give some extra info? Where are they from and what do they sound like?

TMF

This is a Morrissey board

And Belle and Sebastian is a mediocre band.

> I'd heartily agree with two of those, but I've never heard of the HB's.
> Can you give some extra info? Where are they from and what do they sound
> like?

> TMF

I was told that the Heavy Blinkers were Scottish, I've since found out that they're Canadian. The link will take you to the website and the biography gives a good description of their music, (although I personally believe each band should be judged on their own sound and not compared to others). Lots of tight three minute pop songs with Beach Boy overtones and male and female vocals overlapping. Perhaps a Canadian Belle and Sebastian, but better, much better.

Don't quite think that they're a MF band. I mean that in a nice way. Camera Obscure are heartbreakingly beautiful and have such a much more original sound than many of today's indie bands.

http://www.heavyblinkers.com/

Back
Top Bottom