over which motown bside did johnny and morrissey connect in 1982?

sistasheila

tjekket
i have read that somewhere and cant seem to find that info again..johnny said
a certain b side by a motown girl group(- which morrissey played at their first or second meeting at morrisseys house-) did make him connected to morrissey.
i.e. they had the same liking for hidden treasures i.e. b sides
which one was it?

Last edited:
Pure guesswork, may be completely wrong.

It might be in Mojo's 100 Greatest Motown Songs issue that came out in early 2008. I think the group is Martha and the Vandellas but I can't remember why I think that. I googled Johnny Marr Martha and the Vandellas and that magazine came up, and he does talk about Motown in it.

If so, the b-side would be to Heatwave, "A Love Like Yours (Don't Come Knocking Everyday)" most likely. They have several songs on the list though, and might not even be the right group.

Apparently, it was "You're The One", the b-side to "Paper Boy" by The Marvelettes, written and produced by Smoky Robinson

R-1317221-1228585355.jpeg

ahh thanks to the mozipedia in human form! ;):thumb:joe thanks!:flowers:
also thanks to dave!
that was quick
i have a look where i read that...some johnny interview prob..
i saw a documentary about motown and stax yesterday on tv called the birth of groove
and martha is featured big time there
- motown was always a dear to me . i had found .,as a small kid a cd with 60ties song at home- inc many motown stuff on it..by that time we didnt had english at schook and my musical taste was of course as a small kid not as developed back then but the motown songs grapped me instantly...without understanding the words. .the 60ties girl groups. the love for it it never leaves me.
i remember moz played paper boy in that radio show in the 80ties which someone linked here-
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=77265&highlight=top+ten
but i actually bought the show on cd from ebay:rolleyes:and now it has gone gone

Last edited:
it was a motown act, alright, but I'd heard it was the b-side of 'I Just Called To Say I Love You' by Wonder...

Apparently, it was "You're The One", the b-side to "Paper Boy" by The Marvelettes, written and produced by Smoky Robinson

There's a clip on youtube (somewhere) of Johnny saying this - he remembers the label on the record. Needless to say I went and got a copy on ebay.

Dave

There's a clip on youtube (somewhere) of Johnny saying this - he remembers the label on the record. Needless to say I went and got a copy on ebay.

Dave

Also talks about I want a boy for my birthday.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
thnks dave,, but i havent seen ithe mention of the bside not in a video but saw it in written form..wont find that again most likely .but since my q was answered..thnks a lot:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom