Jim Kerr says something nice about Morrissey

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
Fom the new Record Collector magazine:

Q: Which artist would you do on MASTERMIND?

A: Bowie. No one's done anything really new since the 80s. No one sounded like Morrissey, Boy George - fantastic originality.

P.

Fom the new Record Collector magazine:

Q: Which artist would you do on MASTERMIND?

A: Bowie. No one's done anything really new since the 80s. No one sounded like Morrissey, Boy George - fantastic originality.

P.

Thanks Peter.

I haven't heard Jim Kerr slags off other musicians. :)

Uh, Peter, thanks for posting, but are you saying he wasn't having a go at Morrissey? Putting him in league with Boy George? A mere comma between them?

That's like saying, "Yeah, my wife's a great cook-- filet mignon, steamed donkey shit. The best!" :rolleyes:

Uh, Peter, thanks for posting, but are you saying he wasn't having a go at Morrissey? Putting him in league with Boy George? A mere comma between them?

That's like saying, "Yeah, my wife's a great cook-- filet mignon, steamed donkey shit. The best!" :rolleyes:

:D Exactly

after I remembered who Jim Kerr is and read about no one doing anything since the 80's, when he had his hit, this comment seemed to be typical of something that most anyone from that era might say. The guy from Haircut 100 probably agrees.

i think boy george can be placed in the same sentence when talking about original 80's singers. Although musically BG wasnt as important as our Moz, in terms of originality i think he was quite close

i think boy george can be placed in the same sentence when talking about original 80's singers. Although musically BG wasnt as important as our Moz, in terms of originality i think he was quite close

He dressed in an original way. He blurred his gender in an original way.

As an artist he's not even close to the same level as Morrissey. He's "Showgirls" to Morrissey's "Singin' In The Rain".

Hell, I wouldn't even put him in Pete Burns' class.

And I wouldn't put it past Jim Kerr to have lumped Morrissey and Boy George together merely in the hopes of Morrissey hearing or reading it one day and going berserk. Kerr remembers the Eighties only too well, I'm sure.

He dressed in an original way. He blurred his gender in an original way.

As an artist he's not even close to the same level as Morrissey. He's "Showgirls" to Morrissey's "Singin' In The Rain".

Hell, I wouldn't even put him in Pete Burns' class.

And I wouldn't put it past Jim Kerr to have lumped Morrissey and Boy George together merely in the hopes of Morrissey hearing or reading it one day and going berserk. Kerr remembers the Eighties only too well, I'm sure.

Morrissey is friends with Boy George though, so why would moz go beserk? also moz has said he liked a bit of simple minds in the 80's and i think Jom Kerr is a fan of moz.

Agree as an artist moz and BG are non comparable, but i just think they were both originals no matter how far in comparisment

I like George, he's well 'ard. Pete Burns would never chain his date to the wall, would he? No.

Morrissey is friends with Boy George though, so why would moz go beserk? also moz has said he liked a bit of simple minds in the 80's and i think Jom Kerr is a fan of moz.

Agree as an artist moz and BG are non comparable, but i just think they were both originals no matter how far in comparisment

Correct me if I'm wrong but Boy George and Morrissey are not friends. I just Googled the names to make sure and saw that both attended The Drums' gig on April 1-- separately, despite being two of two hundred spectators. No, I don't think they're pals. But if they are, I'd love to know about it.

Edit: "Boy George, again I think he really doesn't say anything either." Think that was in '84 or '85.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Boy George and Morrissey are not friends. I just Googled the names to make sure and saw that both attended The Drums' gig on April 1-- separately, despite being two of two hundred spectators. No, I don't think they're pals. But if they are, I'd love to know about it.

Edit: "Boy George, again I think he really doesn't say anything either." Think that was in '84 or '85.

well correct me if im wrong but BG went backstage and meet our MOZ at London Alexandra Palace gig last year, then they meet again at the drums gig to which BG said on twitter, "me and moz had a point off"

well correct me if im wrong but BG went backstage and meet our MOZ at London Alexandra Palace gig last year, then they meet again at the drums gig to which BG said on twitter, "me and moz had a point off"

Fair enough. I'd just add that Kevin Costner once went backstage to meet Madonna and we know how that turned out.

I don't doubt that Boy George has met Morrissey. I don't doubt that they may even be cordial around each other. I'm just saying I don't think they could be called genuine friends, and the bottom line is this: if Morrissey were asked his opinion of Boy George it would not be flattering. On a good day he might say something like, "I've always found him to be interesting and his sense of style very striking, but as for the music, well...let's move on to the next subject." He might even go with his boilerplate line, "As for Boy George, I always found him much more interesting than any music he actually made".

That's on a good day, mind. :)

I stand by my original point: pairing Boy George and Morrissey in a "compliment" like that is a veiled insult. I would welcome input from any Morrissey-Solo member who was around when The Smiths and Culture Club were releasing records at the same time-- even to mention the two front-men in the same breath would have been massively offensive.

Reminder, perhaps?

Last edited by a moderator:
"a point off" - boy george is funny!!!!:)

sorry i think it actually might have been poke off, cant remember the exact word.

Point is Moz wouldnt talk to him or let him backstage if he didnt like him, remember when David Cameron got a free seat at one of his gigs, he went mad

Fair enough. I'd just add that Kevin Costner once went backstage to meet Madonna and we know how that turned out.

I don't doubt that Boy George has met Morrissey. I don't doubt that they may even be cordial around each other. I'm just saying I don't think they could be called genuine friends, and the bottom line is this: if Morrissey were asked his opinion of Boy George it would not be flattering. On a good day he might say something like, "I've always found him to be interesting and his sense of style very striking, but as for the music, well...let's move on to the next subject." He might even go with his boilerplate line, "As for Boy George, I always found him much more interesting than any music he actually made".

That's on a good day, mind. :)

I stand by my original point: pairing Boy George and Morrissey in a "compliment" like that is a veiled insult, whether Kerr intended it or not. I would welcome input from any Morrissey-Solo member who was around when The Smiths and Culture Club were releasing records at the same time-- even to mention the two front-men in the same breath was massively offensive.

agree with the statements, but i still think that as original 80's singers go they both were originals despite being worlds apart in terms of musical status and influence thats all

I am shocked and appalled at that statement. I loved Boy George when i were a lad.:blushing:

Nothing wrong with loving Boy George.

Something wrong with placing him on the same level as Morrissey, that's all. I like riding bicycles but I don't equate them with Rolls Royces. :rolleyes:

Something wrong with placing him on the same level as Morrissey, that's all. I like riding bicycles but I don't equate them with Rolls Royces. :rolleyes:

You should treat yourself a new bike then Worm. Mr Nightie rides a Cotic and probably pays more for his bike than one would for a small car! He treats it like a Bently!

Just kidding though... i know what you mean. They're a country mile apart from each other... but each was original and made a contribution (albeit Moz has been more lasting) in their time.

Jim Kerr just said Morrissey and Boy George, no need for trying to read hidden meaning.

George said an interview he met Morrissey in Paris in 1984 or 1985, but didn't have good memory.
Morrissey didn't make any effort to comminucate with him, however, he's still a fan of Smiths and Morrissey's music.
Personally I'm still grateful to George for raving about Smiths in 1983. :)

Back
Top Bottom