Johnny Marr at Ivor Novello Award

Brel

Guttersnipe
He's just picked up an Ivor Novello Award!

Last edited:
Re: Johnny Marr Award

He's just picked up an Ivor Novello Award!

Where'd you hear this? Is it an Outstanding Contribution award, or something like it?

Peter

**EDIT** - found via Twitter - he's won the Inspiration Award.

Last edited:

Where'd you hear this? Is it an Outstanding Contribution award, or something like it?

Peter

**EDIT** - found via Twitter - he's won the Inspiration Award.

5 Live interviewed him about 5 or 10 minutes before I posted the original message. It should be on the I Player later on.

excellent. what did he win last year remember reading he got some sort of outstanding contribution at some awards thing.

cant ever see morrissey accepting one of these which is a shame. Its probibly one of the few awards I look to see who won.

excellent. what did he win last year remember reading he got some sort of outstanding contribution at some awards thing.

cant ever see morrissey accepting one of these which is a shame. Its probibly one of the few awards I look to see who won.

He got one.....

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivor Novello was born in Cardiff. Theres a blue commemorative plaque outside the house he was born in on Cowbridge Road.

This award for Johnny Marr is obviously a sign. Come on Cardiff:guitar:

Lily Allen won two or three awards today and Gary Barlow won last year. SO its not all that

Good for Johnny Marr, outstanding enduring guitarist that he is. I wonder how his wee acceptance speech went?

That 2001 Morrissey speech was a heartfelt gesture of genuine accceptance, respect and love, at a point in his 'career' when he was dead in the water and no-one gave a shit.
If Johnny Marr made no mention of Morrissey then it is indeed piss-poor behaviour.
He may well be a Top Bloke, but I'd rather have a devious, truculent and unreliable artist and poet anyday.
But Johnny did say in his speech ~ "I sincerely hope that there will be a lot more twists and turns because that's what I like to do".
Which can but only mean....SMITHS REFORM!!!
:rolleyes:

That 2001 Morrissey speech was a heartfelt gesture of genuine accceptance, respect and love, at a point in his 'career' when he was dead in the water and no-one gave a shit.
If Johnny Marr made no mention of Morrissey then it is indeed piss-poor behaviour.
He may well be a Top Bloke, but I'd rather have a devious, truculent and unreliable artist and poet anyday.
But Johnny did say in his speech ~ "I sincerely hope that there will be a lot more twists and turns because that's what I like to do".

:squiffy::head-smack:
Maybe it just means he'll be joining a different group next year.

it was 1998. Olly told me

I hate to be pedantic, but didn't J. Marr seek out Morrissey? If so, then Marr was the catalyst for The Smiths. Morrissey has always been most gracious in his acknowledgement of the fact that it was Marr who chose him as a creative partner.

If Morrissey had knocked on Marr's door, that would be a horse of a different color.

I hate to be pedantic, but didn't J. Marr seek out Morrissey? If so, then Marr was the catalyst for The Smiths. Morrissey has always been most gracious in his acknowledgement of the fact that it was Marr who chose him as a creative partner.

If Morrissey had knocked on Marr's door, that would be a horse of a different color.
True point. But Marr must have considered many times, if he has any sense, what his 'career' might have been like had Morrissey not provided those certain words to his sublime music. He must have known, quite quickly, he'd struck gold. A debt is still due whether he knocked on Moz's door or not, and thanks should be paid. It's just good manners.

I concur.... Settles the overlay discussion anyways.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtNNXYZcSmw

Back
Top Bottom