Funeral wreath for Melinda Hsu

Now looking into diabetes research charities, so any ideas would be great.
-Melissa

It would be fantastic if anyone were to know of a way to donate specifically for Type 2 diabetes research. I've been looking into it and I can't find anywhere that takes donations just for Type 2. Type 1 and 2 are really two different diseases with similar results, so it's a shame you can't choose which one to donate to... That I know of.

just in case anybody missed this part on the main page:

Friends of Melinda are collecting donations to go to a nice arrangement for the memorial which family members have said they would appreciate. Any left over will be donated to PETA & diabetes research.

Donations can be made via Paypal to my email address at: [email protected].

Please make donations by May 10. Please send any questions to Melissa at [email protected].

Hi Guys,

Only Just caught up on the sad news about Mel:tears:

Count me in, but a quick question on paypal its asks if money is PURCHASE or PERSONEL and it seems some options have a fee to pay does that just meen that the whole donation from this end will go into Davids account without him having to pay another fee ?

RIP MEL

Graham

Hi Guys,

Only Just caught up on the sad news about Mel:tears:

Count me in, but a quick question on paypal its asks if money is PURCHASE or PERSONEL and it seems some options have a fee to pay does that just meen that the whole donation from this end will go into Davids account without him having to pay another fee ?

RIP MEL

Graham

I'm not a paypal expert, but I'd choose the personal option, and I'm pretty sure that the only fee would be due to the fact that you're in the UK & it's an international transfer. I've sent $ to the UK before and they do charge a fee but it's negligible, and I think any fees are only charged to the person sending the $.

Last edited:
Ta,
Thats what I guessed so paypal it is

RIP MEL

Just a reminder that the deadline for contributing money is Monday May 10. To everyone who has given money or who is planning to do so, thank you SO MUCH!! I think Mel's family is going to be very touched by the generosity of her friends.

-Melissa

Any ideas yet as to what we are doing with the donations for Mel ?

Life is short.....sweet but short.....live each day as tho its your last....Enjoy stay safe folks.

Graham

Any ideas yet as to what we are doing with the donations for Mel ?

Life is short.....sweet but short.....live each day as tho its your last....Enjoy stay safe folks.

Graham

Some of it will go to buy a (lovely, tasteful) flower arrangement for her memorial service on behalf of her Morrissey-friends, and the rest will be donated in Mel's name to PETA and a diabetes research charity - I think this one.

I am sure Mel will be smiling down on everyone now

Hello all,
Melinda was my brother in law's sister and I am amazed at the ourpouring of support that I'm seeing online! I just spoke with my sister and here is what she suggests for the service:

If you would like to order flowers please contact: palisadesflowers.com the florist is a friend of the family, Mrs.Medena, and her number is: 800-899-6107
Flowers can be sent to: 15821 Sunset Blvd, Pacific Palisades, CA 90272. Service is at 4pm on Saturday May 15
She also suggests donations to Petpride.com which is a no kill cat shelter. Their address is: 3350 S.Robertson Blvd, Los Angeles CA 90034, 310-836-5427

If you would like to email the family the address is [email protected]

Please feel free to cross-post this informatin to any other sites you know that are trying to organize something, I've been trying to hit as many as I can today, but as you know there are a lot!

Thank you all for the tremendous ourpouring of love, support and shared memories!

Teresa

I just wanted to report back on Mel’s memorial and on the donations, as promised.

We ended up raising $914.53 from nearly 30 people. I know all of this support meant so much to Mel’s family. We sent a really beautiful arrangement to the memorial (Here's a link to a pic of the flowers: http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/9441/melsflowers.jpg ) and have already sent along the rest of the money for donation. The note we included with the flowers read: “To the Hsu family, Mel was so dear to us and she will not be forgotten. There is a light that never goes out, and wherever you are, we hope you're singing now. Your Morrissey friends near and far.”
Special thanks to Melissa for helping me to coordinate this, and to David for posting the donation link and collecting the money.

Bright and early on Saturday morning, a few of us who were close to Mel gathered along with her family for the interment ceremony. It was a small, short gathering and Mel’s remains were placed with those of her father, who died 39 years ago before Mel’s first birthday. I cannot emphasize how kind and lovely her family is. It was so apparent that it meant a great deal to them, especially to her mother, to have so many of her friends there, and that the support from those who couldn’t make it but who’d sent along such kind words and donations had also been so appreciated.

Later that day, we all met for the memorial. There were at least 20 of the Morrissey fan family there. A few of us had arranged for green carnations (a la Oscar Wilde) in Mel’s memory so we distributed those and visited in the parking lot before we headed in. Morrissey’s letter was printed in the ceremony program that was handed out at the door. The ceremony itself was beautiful. Jose Maldonado of the Sweet and Tender Hooligans did an amazing job (remarkably managing to hold back his tears) of providing the music throughout the ceremony, playing acoustic versions of There Is A Light, Lost, Moon River and Oh Well I’ll Never Learn. There was also a beautiful slideshow featuring many of our familiar faces with Mel’s, and Sing Your Life was played during that.

The eulogies were absolutely beautiful. Since Mel’s death, I’ve thought a lot about how my own family would make sense of the whole Morrissey thing if something were to happen to me. Like many of us, I think they just don’t understand it, and I’m certain they couldn’t have done such a graceful job of incorporating that part of my life into the service as Mel’s did. Her brother said some truly moving things about how they’d just assumed she was concert crazy, but seeing the outpouring of support has made them understand that Morrissey tour was like a family reunion for Mel, and those of us who traveled with her truly were her second family. As you can imagine, we all completely lost it when he said that. Mel’s old friend Vu, who she’d met back in Fresno through a Moz zine in the early 90s, also spoke, as did Adam who remembered meeting Mel via a hilarious note she’d included with her request to buy one of his own fanzines. Jose also offered some touching words about how much Mel’s approval had meant to him and the rest of the Sweet and Tender Hooligans, and that he looked forward to her watching their shows from a “balcony seat” rather than her old place in the front row.

There was a reception afterwards where we all caught up. I headed out after that but I know TONS of people met up at the Cat & Fiddle for drinks and were eventually kicked out of the main bar area and placed in a private room (we’re a raucous bunch, us Moz fans . . .)

Altogether, it was so lovely, and it meant so much to have so many of us present, both physically as well as emotionally though all of your kind words on solo or directly to her family.

I just wanted to report back on Mel’s memorial and on the donations, as promised.

We ended up raising $914.53 from nearly 30 people. I know all of this support meant so much to Mel’s family. We sent a really beautiful arrangement to the memorial (Here's a link to a pic of the flowers: http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/9441/melsflowers.jpg ) and have already sent along the rest of the money for donation. The note we included with the flowers read: “To the Hsu family, Mel was so dear to us and she will not be forgotten. There is a light that never goes out, and wherever you are, we hope you're singing now. Your Morrissey friends near and far.”
Special thanks to Melissa for helping me to coordinate this, and to David for posting the donation link and collecting the money.

Bright and early on Saturday morning, a few of us who were close to Mel gathered along with her family for the interment ceremony. It was a small, short gathering and Mel’s remains were placed with those of her father, who died 39 years ago before Mel’s first birthday. I cannot emphasize how kind and lovely her family is. It was so apparent that it meant a great deal to them, especially to her mother, to have so many of her friends there, and that the support from those who couldn’t make it but who’d sent along such kind words and donations had also been so appreciated.

Later that day, we all met for the memorial. There were at least 20 of the Morrissey fan family there. A few of us had arranged for green carnations (a la Oscar Wilde) in Mel’s memory so we distributed those and visited in the parking lot before we headed in. Morrissey’s letter was printed in the ceremony program that was handed out at the door. The ceremony itself was beautiful. Jose Maldonado of the Sweet and Tender Hooligans did an amazing job (remarkably managing to hold back his tears) of providing the music throughout the ceremony, playing acoustic versions of There Is A Light, Lost, Moon River and Oh Well I’ll Never Learn. There was also a beautiful slideshow featuring many of our familiar faces with Mel’s, and Sing Your Life was played during that.

The eulogies were absolutely beautiful. Since Mel’s death, I’ve thought a lot about how my own family would make sense of the whole Morrissey thing if something were to happen to me. Like many of us, I think they just don’t understand it, and I’m certain they couldn’t have done such a graceful job of incorporating that part of my life into the service as Mel’s did. Her brother said some truly moving things about how they’d just assumed she was concert crazy, but seeing the outpouring of support has made them understand that Morrissey tour was like a family reunion for Mel, and those of us who traveled with her truly were her second family. As you can imagine, we all completely lost it when he said that. Mel’s old friend Vu, who she’d met back in Fresno through a Moz zine in the early 90s, also spoke, as did Adam who remembered meeting Mel via a hilarious note she’d included with her request to buy one of his own fanzines. Jose also offered some touching words about how much Mel’s approval had meant to him and the rest of the Sweet and Tender Hooligans, and that he looked forward to her watching their shows from a “balcony seat” rather than her old place in the front row.

There was a reception afterwards where we all caught up. I headed out after that but I know TONS of people met up at the Cat & Fiddle for drinks and were eventually kicked out of the main bar area and placed in a private room (we’re a raucous bunch, us Moz fans . . .)

Altogether, it was so lovely, and it meant so much to have so many of us present, both physically as well as emotionally though all of your kind words on solo or directly to her family.

Beautiful. Thanks.

P.

How sad this has all been. That someone so young and vibrant could be taken without warning.

I have been thinking about Mel a lot, and I never met her.... :(

That report has brought tears to my eyes.. Viva Mel.. Viva everyone

I'm so sorry to hear of her passing. Her and I were good friends when I was running the Morri'Zine. Rest in peace, Melinda. -- Nicole

I remember Mel sending me a cassette copy of V&I about 2 or 3 weeks before it was actually released. I don't remember how I knew her or why she did it but I'm pretty sure I didn't give her anything in return.

That's just who she was. She understood that we are crazy fanatics and we just had to hear the songs sooner than immediately. I'll never forget how I felt the day that cassette arrived and I sat with my friend and we listened to it. I felt incredibly fortunate that people like her were out there. I felt honoured that she chose me out of the countless people who would have loved to be chosen.

The worst part is all these years on solo, I never knew Mel Torment was her. I would have liked to thank her again for being who she was. I would have liked to meet her at a show.

While I feel sadness that she is gone I feel a greater happiness that she lived.

I remember Mel sending me a cassette copy of V&I about 2 or 3 weeks before it was actually released. I don't remember how I knew her or why she did it but I'm pretty sure I didn't give her anything in return.

That's just who she was. She understood that we are crazy fanatics and we just had to hear the songs sooner than immediately. I'll never forget how I felt the day that cassette arrived and I sat with my friend and we listened to it. I felt incredibly fortunate that people like her were out there. I felt honoured that she chose me out of the countless people who would have loved to be chosen.

The worst part is all these years on solo, I never knew Mel Torment was her. I would have liked to thank her again for being who she was. I would have liked to meet her at a show.

While I feel sadness that she is gone I feel a greater happiness that she lived.

Wait, was she all into Duran Duran? Some asian female Morrissey fan on AOL who was a hardcore Duran Duran fan sent me a cassette copy of V&I well before it was released. I don't know if it was the same person. I guess those cassettes were circulating pretty quick, so perhaps not.

Back
Top Bottom