NME picks Morrissey's comment on Damien Hirst

Kewpie

Subscriber
http://www.nme.com/news/morrissey/50243

Morrissey: 'Damien Hirst's head should be kept in a bag'

Interview with Linder Sterling sees singer rant about artist's formaldehyde art

Morrissey has said he thinks artist Damien Hirst should have his head "kept in a bag" for the way he uses dead animals in his work.

The singer, who is a staunch vegetarian, made the comment in an interview – where he was asking the questions – with artist Linder Sterling for Interview Magazine.

Speaking of Hirst, whose art has included a dead cow and calf cut into pieces and put in a glass container, a rotting bull and a dead tiger shark set in formaldehyde, Morrissey stated his dismay and asked Sterling for her opinion on the matter.

"I dislike the 'use' of animals in art, such as in the work of Damien Hirst," he said. "But in your latest performance piece, 'Your Actions Are My Dreams', you have a woman serenely sitting atop a calmly satisfied horse, which is, of course, alive and healthy. Do you agree that Hirst's head should be kept in a bag for the way he's utilised – and sold – dead animals?"

Sterling's reply appeared to agree with Morrissey's sentiment.

"Dead butterflies, cows, horses, humans, sheep and sharks – it reads like the inventory of a funerary Noah. How many halved calves suspended in formaldehyde does the world need? To my way of thinking, none."

Elsewhere in the interview, Morrissey said, "The media obsession with Hirst's millions, I think, reduces him to mere factory outlet."

He also asked Sterling, "Are tits a pain in the neck?" to which she replied, "I'll probably be 70 before my full cleavage is revealed to the world."

Morrissey and Sterling first became friends in Manchester in 1976. He went on to write The Smiths' 'Cemetery Gates' lyrics about their friendship.

Last edited:
Morrissey's comment about Damien

Morrissey's comment about Damien Hirst's so called 'art' reminded me of a thought I had to make a formal complaint to the RSPCA here in the UK about Damien Hirst's Butterfly 'work'.
I have written a complaint to the RSPCA today (on their website) about these works by Damien Hirst because I cannot see how so many butterflies could have 'died naturally' at a butterfly farm and then were shipped out to Damien for these . . . monstrocities.
One BBC arts programme labelled them 'beautiful' yes Butterflies are beautiful but was their murder to create such items so very beautiful? I am highly concerned were such butterflies alive when their wings were torn from their tiny bodies? Am sorry but I look at these works with great suspicion and dread of how they came to be.
If you agree please send out your concerns to the RSPCA and anyone else whom may listen, I am writing to the BBC next about the arts programme that reveared these pictures and suggest to them they become a little more aware of how such are produced and ask the questions.

Thank you and very best wishes,

IX

Re: Morrissey's comment about . . . Damien.

I think they probably did die naturally,their lifespan is very short.But I agree with you,those "works of art" are revolting.

Re: Morrissey's comment about . . . Damien.

Morrissey's comment about Damien Hirst's so called 'art' reminded me of a thought I had to make a formal complaint to the RSPCA here in the UK about Damien Hirst's Butterfly 'work'.
I have written a complaint to the RSPCA today (on their website) about these works by Damien Hirst because I cannot see how so many butterflies could have 'died naturally' at a butterfly farm and then were shipped out to Damien for these . . . monstrocities.
One BBC arts programme labelled them 'beautiful' yes Butterflies are beautiful but was their murder to create such items so very beautiful? I am highly concerned were such butterflies alive when their wings were torn from their tiny bodies? Am sorry but I look at these works with great suspicion and dread of how they came to be.
If you agree please send out your concerns to the RSPCA and anyone else whom may listen, I am writing to the BBC next about the arts programme that reveared these pictures and suggest to them they become a little more aware of how such are produced and ask the questions.

Thank you and very best wishes,

IX

Troy, well done for being militant and reporting these issues through proper authorities - too often seeing this kind of 'art' just saddens folk to the point that it paralyses them into inaction.

Well done again.

I think they probably did die naturally,their lifespan is very short.But I agree with you,those "works of art" are revolting.

Billy - i hope you are right on the first issue and i know you are right on the second.

Morrissey slams Damien Hirst

Morrissey dissing shitty over-hyped ol' Hirsty!

March 16, 2010

"Morrissey has said he thinks artist Damien Hirst should have his head "kept in a bag" for the way he uses dead animals in his work.

The singer, who is a staunch vegetarian, made the comment in an interview – where he was asking the questions – with artist Linder Sterling for Interview Magazine.

Speaking of Hirst, whose art has included a dead cow and calf cut into pieces and put in a glass container, a rotting bull and a dead tiger shark set in formaldehyde, Morrissey stated his dismay and asked Sterling for her opinion on the matter.

"I dislike the 'use' of animals in art, such as in the work of Damien Hirst," he said. "But in your latest performance piece, 'Your Actions Are My Dreams', you have a woman serenely sitting atop a calmly satisfied horse, which is, of course, alive and healthy. Do you agree that Hirst's head should be kept in a bag for the way he's utilised – and sold – dead animals?"

"Dead butterflies, cows, horses, humans, sheep and sharks – it reads like the inventory of a funerary Noah. How many halved calves suspended in formaldehyde does the world need? To my way of thinking, none."

Elsewhere in the interview, Morrissey said, "The media obsession with Hirst's millions, I think, reduces him to mere factory outlet."

He also asked Sterling, "Are tits a pain in the neck?" to which she replied, "I'll probably be 70 before my full cleavage is revealed to the world."

Morrissey and Sterling first became friends in Manchester in 1976. He went on to write The Smiths' 'Cemetery Gates' lyrics about their friendship."

Favourite quote has to be... "Are tits a pain in the neck?"

NME Moz Damien Hirst's head in a bag

Morrissey: 'Damien Hirst's head should be kept in a bag'

Interview with Linder Sterling sees singer rant about artist's formaldehyde art

Morrissey has said he thinks artist Damien Hirst should have his head "kept in a bag" for the way he uses dead animals in his work.

Morrissey and Sterling first became friends in Manchester in 1976. He went on to write The Smiths' 'Cemetery Gates' lyrics about their friendship.

Back
Top Bottom