How do you and your Father get on?

Oh my god. it's Robby!

spontaneously luminescent
hm2.jpg

mine died 9 years ago, still seems like yesterday sometimes :straightface:
we had more than one long gap of time of no contact, but we always tried to re-connect :o
but just ran out of time :tears:
what about you?

4461_1044100792757_1532757069_30088694_2719117_n.jpg

this picture sums up the relationship between my father and myself. it was taken on the roof of my old college after i received an award for outstanding academic performance and making the dean's list, and i am high as hell. we love each other but we've never been best friends because we're just too different from each other. i've never been able to get close to him because he's always out of town on business, and we never have that much to talk about. we did work out together tonight, which was nice.

Much better since he moved out.

I inherited all my worst personality traits from my dad. Come to think of it, most of my good traits too. We clash because we're essentially the exact same person, and eternally stubborn. :rolleyes:

I inherited all my worst personality traits from my dad. Come to think of it, most of my good traits too. We clash because we're essentially the exact same person, and eternally stubborn. :rolleyes:

I couldn't have put it better myself. My dad seems to be going more and more crazy though as he gets older. So the best is yet to come in terms of going looney I guess. :crazy:

Hopefully fine because I need to borrow money to go to the dentist. :p

This is probably going to sound horrible, but I have no relationship with my father whatsoever since he abandoned me, my mother and my brother when I was like 2 years old.

Good thing however, is that I don't let that affect me. :)

i got my father's lips, eyebrows, and body type as well as his emotional distance from loved ones and social awkwardness. that and his wryness and wisecrackery.

My dad is mellowing as he ages, and it's a damn good thing too. He was a scary bugger who would fly into rages and frighten the bejesus out of everyone. He never physically hit me or my siblings, but he would get in your face and say things like "I'll kick your teeth down your throat."

We have a very good relationship now though, he can even occasionally murmur a "Love you" (over the phone as he's hanging up). He's an auld softie, almost.

my dad would thump me in the back of the head when i acted up. like in church, he'd sit next to me with his hand behind the pew and if i started to crack up...THUMP! i called them "brain dusters."

Like a couple of other people on this thread, my dad and I are very similar in many ways, and that, I believe, is one reason why we don't really get along. Our personalities are so alike that they clash, if that makes any sense at all.

He was a terror when I was growing up. You never knew what kind of mood he was in, and that mood could change in an instant. He would give my mother the silent treatment for weeks on end. When I was a child, he once went into my bedroom when my mother and I were out, and tore down all of the posters that I had on the wall, and threw them in the trash. He would spit at me and hurl obscenities at me.

When I was a teenager, we sparred with each other constantly. I fought against his tyranny over my mother and my younger brother, and he didn't like that one bit. Finally, when I was 16 years old, he left us, and moved many, many miles away. In the eight years since then, I've seen him exactly three times. Sometimes, I'll send him an e-mail, but it seems like he really has little to no interest in keeping in touch, which is his choice, of course.

My dad is mellowing as he ages, and it's a damn good thing too. He was a scary bugger who would fly into rages and frighten the bejesus out of everyone

yeah, my dad was like that, but right before he died he seemed to be mellowing too, its why I miss him so now :o
anyways, thank you for all your responses so far :straightface:

My dad and i first came to blows when he put my mum and i (and not my big sister) out of our house and into homeless accommodation when i was a young'un:boxing:..... but since then, he has been my guiding light, my best friend, the one person who will stand by me no matter what - the true love of my life (not in a creepy way, but definitely in a wholesome, steadfast and romantic kind of way:flowers:).
I love my Dad more than any other human on the planet:thumb:. Sure we have barney's and bicker all the time, we have diametrically opposed views on many subjects, and i'm not saying we could live under the same roof again - but he has learned to tolerate my views and i am trying to be patient and more understanding of his:).

I LOVE MY DAD.:):):) and i'm truly sorry for any of you who no longer have your father with you.

When I was 11 my dad threw my mum out of the front door (very much literally) breaking her skull, which I witnessed and tried to stop.
Then afterwards my mum left and he brought me up very badly.
My dad doesn't seem to understand why I don't want to speak to him. Even my mum doesn't seem to understand. They chat away like old mates now. It's hard to make a moral stand when there's no morality around you.
I am slightly envious of people with good relationships with their dad because I used to be a daddy's girl. But I went off him a bit after that.

Back
Top Bottom