Lady GaGa: an apostle of the Morrissey - calls him my buddy

The Seeker of Good Songs

via Simon Goddard's blog (http://simongoddardwords.blogspot.com/2010/02/queen-is-gaga.html)

"Because we were in Manchester, and since her album was called The Fame, I asked if she agreed with the words of a certain local bard that “fame, fame, fatal fame… can play hideous tricks on the brain.”

“Yes. I love that song,” Gaga replied in her Manhattan robo-drawl. “Sometimes when I’m on stage I do this thing with my voice where I go… fame, Fame, FAME! Which is sort of my homage to that.” At the time I wasn’t sure if Gaga was bluffing (with her muffin) until three months later when another interviewer asked the name of her “favourite celebrity with style.” After a few seconds pause she answered, “Morrissey.” Since then she’s Tweeted Smiths lyrics and has even alluded to conversations with Morrissey who she described with alarming casualness as “my buddy”.

So, there you have it. Lady Gaga is an actual “apostle”. An uncanny postscript to this, and the reason her Brits performance brought this all back, is my regret that I forgot to give her my intended gift - a spare copy of the Jobriath Lonely Planet Boy compilation. I’d reasoned as a Bowie fan and New York art junkie that if she hadn’t heard his stuff she may like it. Watching her play Telephone at the Brits makes me think she would have, or possibly already does. Close your eyes and it’s like listening to a Jobriath ballad as sung by Etta James."

Re: Lady Gaga: an "apostle" of the Mozza; calls him: "my buddy"

Her music leaves me cold.

I've heard that it didn't finish until gone 11.30 last night. I didn't know that she had that much material...and I don't mean her costume changes!

I loathe her music, but I give her props for her... interesting costumes.

I like her. She made it on her own merits. She didn't need American Idol. She gives 110%. She can sing and I like that.

I was in my local last Sunday night, putting a few songs on the jukebox. An elderley neighbour asked me to put some Lady GaGa on for him. So I did. Damien Dempsey followed by Lady GaGa, then a bit of Shirley Bassey. Can't say I enjoyed it though.

I was in my local last Sunday night, putting a few songs on the jukebox. An elderley neighbour asked me to put some Lady GaGa on for him. So I did. Damien Dempsey followed by Lady GaGa, then a bit of Shirley Bassey. Can't say I enjoyed it though.

That's some mix!

How old was your neighbor who requested Lady GaGa?

GaGa's great. :thumb:

Ghost, you've been turned also? If I recall correctly, I think you once referred to her as a talentless slag or something! Bad Ghostie. :lbf:

I didn't like her until I found out (1) she writes her own songs, and (2) she actually plays an instrument. That caused me to reassess my own bias that she was merely another no-talent pop tart. She's actually... [sharp intake of breath] ... a musician.

Ghost, you've been turned also? If I recall correctly, I think you once referred to her as a talentless slag or something! Bad Ghostie. :lbf:

I didn't like her until I found out (1) she writes her own songs, and (2) she actually plays an instrument. That caused me to reassess my own bias that she was merely another no-talent pop tart. She's actually... [sharp intake of breath] ... a musician.

Hands up, yes, and good recollection. Ghost gone gaga for GaGa. Similar to yourself, I had a LGG epiphany.

I don't think I used the word "slag" though, but perhaps I did. :squiffy:

Re: Lady GaGa

I find it's rather strange.

For example, we all know Russell Brand is a massive Morrissey admirer, but I never heard him saying Morrissey is his mate.

That's some mix!

How old was your neighbor who requested Lady GaGa?

He's in his 60's. He asked for Pokerface because his grandaughter sings it to him. Our local pub used to have a free jukebox, but this meant that if the staff didn't like your selection they cut the song, which amused me. Now they have one of those new ones where you have to think about what you want and see if they have it. There are quite a few of Damien Dempsey on there. A big group of neighbours, all in their 60's & 70's went mad at me for putting some Charles Aznavour on. They said that even they were too young to remember him! It was quite a funny night as the pub had been taken over and had become an Art Gallery for a week. The first thing I saw was a nude of the landlord when I walked in!

He's in his 60's. He asked for Pokerface because his grandaughter sings it to him. Our local pub used to have a free jukebox, but this meant that if the staff didn't like your selection they cut the song, which amused me. Now they have one of those new ones where you have to think about what you want and see if they have it. There are quite a few of Damien Dempsey on there. A big group of neighbours, all in their 60's & 70's went mad at me for putting some Charles Aznavour on. They said that even they were too young to remember him! It was quite a funny night as the pub had been taken over and had become an Art Gallery for a week. The first thing I saw was a nude of the landlord when I walked in!

Was your neighbor singing along to "Pokerface"?

It sounds a great night and a great pub;nudes of landlords. :lbf:

Wouldn't have associated Damien Dempsey with a jukebox, but all the better for having him on there.

I remember Charles Aznavour..:squiffy:

via Simon Goddard's blog (http://simongoddardwords.blogspot.com/2010/02/queen-is-gaga.html)

"Because we were in Manchester, and since her album was called The Fame, I asked if she agreed with the words of a certain local bard that “fame, fame, fatal fame… can play hideous tricks on the brain.”

“Yes. I love that song,” Gaga replied in her Manhattan robo-drawl. “Sometimes when I’m on stage I do this thing with my voice where I go… fame, Fame, FAME! Which is sort of my homage to that.” At the time I wasn’t sure if Gaga was bluffing (with her muffin) until three months later when another interviewer asked the name of her “favourite celebrity with style.” After a few seconds pause she answered, “Morrissey.” Since then she’s Tweeted Smiths lyrics and has even alluded to conversations with Morrissey who she described with alarming casualness as “my buddy”.

So, there you have it. Lady Gaga is an actual “apostle”. An uncanny postscript to this, and the reason her Brits performance brought this all back, is my regret that I forgot to give her my intended gift - a spare copy of the Jobriath Lonely Planet Boy compilation. I’d reasoned as a Bowie fan and New York art junkie that if she hadn’t heard his stuff she may like it. Watching her play Telephone at the Brits makes me think she would have, or possibly already does. Close your eyes and it’s like listening to a Jobriath ballad as sung by Etta James."

Lady Gaga's apostle is white lines

maybe Pete Doherty is available for a new 'mate'.:lbf:

Last edited:
Was your neighbor singing along to "Pokerface"?

It sounds a great night and a great pub;nudes of landlords. :lbf:

Wouldn't have associated Damien Dempsey with a jukebox, but all the better for having him on there.

I remember Charles Aznavour..:squiffy:

No he wasn't. I had a go at him for it, as it ruined my selections. I live in an area where everyone seems to pub crawl. There are quite a few pubs, bars and restaurants all within a stroll of each other. So it can be good one minute and crap the next. My jukebox selections usually get them out the door! :lbf:

No he wasn't. I had a go at him for it, as it ruined my selections. I live in an area where everyone seems to pub crawl. There are quite a few pubs, bars and restaurants all within a stroll of each other. So it can be good one minute and crap the next. My jukebox selections usually get them out the door! :lbf:

Sounds a great area. :thumb:

I would have had a go at him too for not singing, and also asked him to throw a few GaGa dance moves in. :lbf:

In the words of Nugz, "I've resisted for as long as I could. But I am now a Gaga fan." :o

Tags
gaga=hbic godga wins id do him ;)
Back
Top Bottom