What current music talent will be considered influential

The Seeker of Good Songs

What current music talent (group or solo) will be considered in the future as having been a big influence on that then future music talent?

For example, people site The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Smiths, etc. as having been big influences on the music scene.

Other than the old influences, who is out there now that will be considered having been an influence in the future? Or is there nothing unique anymore...

Re: What current music talent will be considered influential...

I don't like Blur very much, but have to admit Damon Albern is very talented and influencial.

New Gorillaz single is really good.

Fern Britton & The Gastric Band look pretty good.

Oasis were the iconic band of the 90's.
Can't think of a band that made a long-term mainstream impact in the 2000's the way The Rolling Stones, Oasis etc did in previous decades. Seems if a band don't release catchy single after single after single they are soon forgotten by the NME reading masses.

So, to answer your question, I don't know.

Oasis were the iconic band of the 90's.

it's hard to believe anyone hears Oasis and is inspired to start a band

So, to answer your question, I don't know.

exactly. as i stated in that thread, i don't think anyone thought om 1979 that Joy Division would become the major source of inspiration to 3 out of 5 bands 30 years later. there's simply no way of knowing how things will turn out.

off the top of my head :straightface:

06_crystal_castles.jpg

Crystal Castles

aux3_combichrist11.jpg

CombiChrist

yyy.jpg

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Placebo+_1.jpg

Placebo
& with a necessary nod to Japan which makes more good music than a lot of the world :guitar:
Japanese+Pop+Star+Utada+Visits+Sephora+3SI4tn0IzYwl.jpg

Hikki, she shall be a part of the people who make music for the planet, not just some narrow obsolete "group of people"

i think brandon flowers andthe killers are the only band who can reach post humous acclaim

The Guardian's No. 1 Album Of The Naughties

The two most important criteria for any self-respecting album-of-the-decade contender to meet are that it could not conceivably have been made in any other 10-year period, and that it should be impossible to imagine how that decade might have sounded without it. And the Streets' triumphantly down-home 2002 debut, Original Pirate Material, ticks these boxes for the first decade of the 21st century with the same winning flourish as Massive Attack's Blue Lines did for the 1990s.​

Last edited by a moderator:

You should not post your favourite bands / artists in this thread.

Seeker's question is 'current music talent who will be considered influencial?'

None of the artists / bands you mentioned are considered as influencial.

Beyonce, not particularly because she is innovative but she has great success in pop music and I am sure people will have he name in their mouth years from now. I am sorry if the next one will rise tensions but I have to say Lady Gaga. She has had a meteoric rise into the pop consciousness and I really believe people will be touting her influence years from now. It's risky but I believe so. Now let the flame-throwing begin...I'll duck.

off the top of my head :straightface:

06_crystal_castles.jpg

Crystal Castles

aux3_combichrist11.jpg

CombiChrist

yyy.jpg

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Placebo+_1.jpg

Placebo
& with a necessary nod to Japan which makes more good music than a lot of the world :guitar:
Japanese+Pop+Star+Utada+Visits+Sephora+3SI4tn0IzYwl.jpg

Hikki, she shall be a part of the people who make music for the planet, not just some narrow obsolete "group of people"

It's off the top of your head, yet you find time to post pictures to correlate to the aforementioned band? No fair.
I agree on Placebo, but only for exposing influential artists to younger generations through their covers.
Utada Hikaru. Hmmm... I don't see how she her relevance to music will be recognized over the years to be honest. It seems to me that you posted your opinion and not what the thread asked of you. And to say that Japan produces better music than most of the world is not only unfair but unfounded.

You should not post your favourite bands / artists in this thread.

Seeker's question is 'current music talent who will be considered influencial?'

None of the artists / bands you mentioned are considered as influencial.

I do not agree with you at all Kewpie, I was projecting 20 years into the future, something I believe beyond your ability, many of the people considered to be "influential now" wont be in a future then, you are just perhaps too dumb to see that now, Kewpie, I am OK with that, I hope you are too :blushing:

I do not agree with you at all Kewpie, I was projecting 20 years into the future, something I believe beyond your ability, many of the people considered to be "influential now" wont be in a future then, you are just perhaps too dumb to see that now, Kewpie, I am OK with that, I hope you are too :blushing:

Ban him Kewpie, please.

I think in the future a group like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs will be remembered for influencing a lot of bands/looks that didn't last more than a few years but won't have any future influence themselves, if that makes sense. The Strokes is an even bigger case of this.

Awful crap like Limp Bizkit has already been relegated to the durstbin (sorry couldn't resist) of history but they obviously inspired a lot of similar acts who tried to capitalize on that sound. Most bands that are "influenced" now are doing it for money.

Even stuff that sounds good at first listen has no staying power. Look at the excitement around a band like Arctic Monkeys. Now...what?

I have to agree with Kewpie that Blur/Albarn has done a lot to influence/push music forward. Loved Blur, not so big on Gorillaz but have to admit their visual/aural creativity is groundbreaking.

Not sure what I think of Lady Gaga but at least she's mining the likes of Queen and real pop/rock acts. For her to sit down and play dueling pianos with Elton John and pull it off more than convincingly is pretty ballsy at her age.

I've been in Japan more than 10 years and can say unequivocally that other than some minor blips in Asia due to idol content, modern Japanese music has 0 influence in the world -- as it should. In the days of Shibuya-kei it used to have a little at least. Anison is about the closest you'll get to an export genre of note now. Utada has surely had a big influence on other Japanese artists, but outside of Japan? Negligible. As it should be.

I think in the future a group like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs will be remembered for influencing a lot of bands/looks that didn't last more than a few years but won't have any future influence themselves, if that makes sense. The Strokes is an even bigger case of this.

i never got the fuss about YYYs, but i get what you mean. and the crud that followed The Strokes was abominable. Jet? gag!

a good band will filter it's influences through their own personality/style.

Awful crap like Limp Bizkit has already been relegated to the durstbin (sorry couldn't resist) of history but they obviously inspired a lot of similar acts who tried to capitalize on that sound. Most bands that are "influenced" now are doing it for money.

there's a difference between being inspired and capitalizing on a trend. i still maintain that an influential band/artist will only really recognized as such a few years down the road.

Back
Top Bottom