The current state of the music scene

• Thread starter I love you, Kelly Osborne
  • Start date
I

I love you, Kelly Osborne

Jesus Christ, what the hell has happened to modern music? I can't recall a time in history when music has sunk to such great lows. The current state of the music scene blows! Am I the only one starving for something meaningful? Record companies continue to churn out forgettable rubbish while artists that actually make a difference are left unrewarded.

right on man!!!!!!!!!!!

there will be a revolution in the music business.

thanks to the internet and napster.

the tyrants of the music biz are humbled and

just maybe, artistry will be part of the muisc BUSINESS.

love to the true artist and moz fans

and FU to the Player Haters and crimals on this site.

H.E.L.P.

lost in music

OK, this argument really iks me. There is *always* excellent music out there. You just need to turn off your radio,, switch off MTV, and read something other than Rolling Stone. Good music will always be ovewhelmed by shit. It's a fact. You just need to sift through that shit to find the good stuff. The only way you can do that is to go out and *look* for it - not wait for it to be played on the radio. Because it won't be. At a time when bands like The Smiths, orange Juice and Echo & The Bunnymen were active, there were bands like Kajagoogoo and Spandau Ballet outselling them.

Some suggestions ..... www.tangents.co.uk always has excellent suggestions on great indie bands.

As a hint, here are some bands I've bought in the last few years that may well appeal to Smiths fans:

Hefner - "The Fidelity Wars"
Ivy - "Long Distance"
Spearmint - "A Different Lifetime"
Ballboy - "Club Anthems 2001" (not a dance record, BTW)
Tompaulin - "The Town & The City"
anything by Cinerama
anyhing by Belle & Sebastian
Trembling Blue Stars - "Alive To Every Smile"
Sodastream - "Looks Like A Russian"
The Clientele - "Suburban Light"

Non-Smiths related, but I am blown away by the new Lambchop album, "Is A Woman". The new Neil Halstead album is sweet and sublime. I saw Stereolab play last night, and experienced a moment of complete transcendance. I am buying far too many records at the moment ... I am finding great bands all the time, and the only trouble I have is keeping up.

And yes, if you really are despeate, I'm happy to make you a tape of some of this stuff.

STH

On your face Grammys!!!! Screw the Oscars, Fascists Pigs ~8~ !!!

I hate the Grammys and the Oscars. What's the deal of watching these people dress up like clowns and get rewards for acting up on somebody's life. They should award the living persona, not the "actor" who played the person "based" on his life. Could you imagine somebody acting as Moz? Ha Ha Ha. The media whised Moz were dead so it would be easier to manipulate. They can't stand Him cus He has done what He has wanted and nobody, NOBODY can top that. Nobody else sings and lives his/her life. I don't want and I never wanted to be like Moz, I am me and nobody can top that. No actor, impersonator, etc., nobody!!!

It just plain sucks big donkey dic.k. other than U2'S brilliance,nothing else was even close to being great.

> right on man!!!!!!!!!!!

> there will be a revolution in the music business.

> thanks to the internet and napster.

> the tyrants of the music biz are humbled and

> just maybe, artistry will be part of the muisc BUSINESS.

> love to the true artist and moz fans

> and FU to the Player Haters and crimals on this site.

wait a minute...this message is incomplete! something is missing.....

anyhow, big deal. for as long as i've seen the internet and read its messages, there have been enough "kids and the music these days!" posts to last me a lifetime.

and the next question is "what can you do?" whine. moan. that doesn't achieve anything. there are thousands of bands out there. at least one of them has to be making something you want to hear. and all you can do is get up off of it and look for it because those bands sure as hell aren't going to write you a personal invitation.

Re: There's nothing you can do

I've listened to countless new bands. If I'd saved all the money I've spent on music, I could buy myself a sweet german car or something. What I'm saying is that nearly everything I've heard in recent years has been just as easily forgotten. I'm going through bands like toilet paper and it's got to stop!

> wait a minute...this message is incomplete! something is missing.....

> anyhow, big deal. for as long as i've seen the internet and read its
> messages, there have been enough "kids and the music these
> days!" posts to last me a lifetime.

> and the next question is "what can you do?" whine. moan. that
> doesn't achieve anything. there are thousands of bands out there. at least
> one of them has to be making something you want to hear. and all you can
> do is get up off of it and look for it because those bands sure as hell
> aren't going to write you a personal invitation.

Re: There's nothing you can do

> I've listened to countless new bands. If I'd saved all the money I've
> spent on music, I could buy myself a sweet german car or something. What
> I'm saying is that nearly everything I've heard in recent years has been
> just as easily forgotten. I'm going through bands like toilet paper and
> it's got to stop!

Perhaps it is YOU who has changed and lost a bit of that adolescent enthusiasm for new music? I'm not being facetious; I've been experiencing a bit of that myself, these past few years. Things just don't thrill me anymore. There's no band whose records (err...CDs) I cling tightly to my bosom after having marked my calendar and raced to the record store to snatch up on their release date.

Not even my current favorite bands are able to provide me with those warm, gushy feelings that some of my beloved bands from the past (most whose music I can't even stomach these days - I mean, Primus? What was the big damned deal?) have been able to give me.

Eh, maybe it's me. Maybe I've become an old curmudgeon. Maybe I need to adjust my Zoloft dosage - too much of that stuff and you enter into this "who gives a crap" numbness which impairs your ability to be sensitive and caring and of the sort who really "feels" music.

But what's the alternative? A deep, abyssmal depression?

Decisions, decisions...

You Spelled Osbourne Wrong! You Forgot The U!

Ozzy should clamp your tongue between his teeth and yank your tongue from out of your head with one swift jerk.

\m/ \m/

> Ozzy should clamp your tongue between his teeth and yank your tongue from
> out of your head with one swift jerk.

I think he prefers to COOK his meat these days.
The old bastard's gone soft!

Its changed so much and its just become pathetic, same computer noises, same lyrics, i love u, my love left u, be with me....
its pathetic so i stay away from it all

Re: The latest Billy Bragg is ...

> Its changed so much and its just become pathetic, same computer noises,
> same lyrics, i love u, my love left u, be with me....
> its pathetic so i stay away from it all

a delightful listen, but then I've always liked Billy.

Re: The latest Billy Bragg is ...

oohh no no no. I have pretty much all of Billy's catalogue, but I actually asked HMV for my money back on England/ Half English. I couldn't stand it. There is definately much better music out there, if not under 'new release' it's under 'Golden Oldies'.

> a delightful listen, but then I've always liked Billy.

Back
Top Bottom