LLoyd Cole..

R

Ruffian

..Just to give an update on an evening with Lloyd Cole.. Saw him at the Union Chapel in Islington a couple of weeks back. It is a surreal venue, but this visit was made even more odd as I sat next to a couple of hecklers! Nothing strange in that normally except this place is a Church and built for quiet reservation and appreciation of the artist on the satge (the pulpit!).. It was really strange because he'd get heckled in between songs with a coarse cry of 'badger'.. (Lloyds hair was shaved short with a grey stripe running down the middle).. I rarely feel embarrassed but what an uncomfortabe feeling as the heckle became more and more unfunny as the night went on.

Anyway.. never met Lloyd despite my respectful efforts.. but his sound man did get me an autograph (there is a long story about how that link came about).. Anyway, Lloyd played for 2 hours acoustically and it was wonderful to hear the songs of love and heartbreak that were there with me (through Rattlesnakes) with the Smiths. 'Forest fire' was sublime..

See ya..
R

> ..Just to give an update on an evening with Lloyd Cole.. Saw him at the
> Union Chapel in Islington a couple of weeks back. It is a surreal venue,
> but this visit was made even more odd as I sat next to a couple of
> hecklers! Nothing strange in that normally except this place is a Church
> and built for quiet reservation and appreciation of the artist on the
> satge (the pulpit!).. It was really strange because he'd get heckled in
> between songs with a coarse cry of 'badger'.. (Lloyds hair was shaved
> short with a grey stripe running down the middle).. I rarely feel
> embarrassed but what an uncomfortabe feeling as the heckle became more and
> more unfunny as the night went on.

> Anyway.. never met Lloyd despite my respectful efforts.. but his sound man
> did get me an autograph (there is a long story about how that link came
> about).. Anyway, Lloyd played for 2 hours acoustically and it was
> wonderful to hear the songs of love and heartbreak that were there with me
> (through Rattlesnakes) with the Smiths. 'Forest fire' was sublime..

> See ya..
> R

Hey,

That's a shame about the hecklers. People can be so stupid sometimes. Congratulations on the autograph though! I'm sure the show was excellent. I heard about a new import cd that's an instrumental one. He described it as his wanting to be Brian Eno for a day album. Have you heard it? Someone very sneaky bought it from the shop, so I'll have to wait.

Cheers,
Violeta

> Hey,

> That's a shame about the hecklers. People can be so stupid sometimes.
> Congratulations on the autograph though! I'm sure the show was excellent.
> I heard about a new import cd that's an instrumental one. He described it
> as his wanting to be Brian Eno for a day album. Have you heard it? Someone
> very sneaky bought it from the shop, so I'll have to wait.

> Cheers,
> Violeta

Yeah.. Think I have got it as part of the 4 CD collection he is touting at the moment. It might be called 'Plastic Wood' .. It's unfortunately (to me at least) the least intersting of the 4 CD's in the collection.

Yes.. heckling a shy sensitive man was not good in this case, but it can be good in the right moment.. It's a bit like that argument about people who see bands talking really loudly and obvioulsy being not really interested in the band they're meant to be seing. I remember reading an 'argument' about that very subject from the Magnetic Fields website. I even recall a story about Lloyd who actually stopped 'Forest Fire' mid-way in a live performance explaining, dispapointedly, that no-one normally speaks through that song..

I'd heckle Moz though to get his stomach out for the girls!
Ruffian

Back
Top Bottom