Best Song of the Year, so far?

L

LoafingOaf

What are yr favorite singles right now?

Mine is: "Maria Bartiromo" by Joey Ramone! Wow, I love Joey's first and last solo album. And this is the best track, a love song to the CNBC financial news reporter. It's so funny to me because my brother and I have had crushes on her for a couple years. I'm realizing this is rather widespread. Talk to me about stocks and money, baby. Those eyes! That NY attitude. Anyway, it's a great sing-a-long: "What's happening with Yahoo!/What's happening with AOL/I Want to Know!....Maria BartiromoX3.....when she's reporting you best got out of her way......" etc

The whole album is so good. He takes Louis Armstrong's "What A Wonderful World," a song I've found rather annoying and fake, and makes it real. Joey has always ruled on covers. Every song is improved when it's Ramone-ified!There's another great one too, the Stooge's "1969." Then there's the completely addictive, British invasion inspired "Mr. Punchy," with the line "everybody's screwed up in their own special way!" But perhaps the most important track is "I've Been Knocked Down (But I'll Get Up)," where Joey sings about being sick on a hospital bed, how much it sucks, and how much he wants his life. I'm sorry it was taken from him so cruelly, but at least he was enjoying life till the end, as this album proves. RIP = (

My other favorite song of the year is probably actually from last year.
Echobelly's "Tell Me Why." Any Morrissey fan would love it. A chorus of "tell me why you're alone my friend" and ends with some la-la-la-la-ing. It's the ending that makes it so good actually. The whole "People Are Expensive" album is rather interesting and their strongest album taken as a whole.

> What are yr favorite singles right now?

I've only bought one single so far this year - hefner's "The Hefner Brain" EP which is excellent. A great rerecording of "when Angels Play Their Drum Machines" and four new songs. really excellent.

I love the new Lambchop album, although there is no standou track, the whole thing really works as one piece. It's beauty lies in its subtlty.

The new Neil Halstead (ex-Mojave 3) album "Sleeping On Roads" is excellent too.

> I've only bought one single so far this year - hefner's "The Hefner
> Brain" EP which is excellent. A great rerecording of "when
> Angels Play Their Drum Machines" and four new songs. really
> excellent.

> I love the new Lambchop album, although there is no standou track, the
> whole thing really works as one piece. It's beauty lies in its subtlty.

> The new Neil Halstead (ex-Mojave 3) album "Sleeping On Roads" is
> excellent too.

Yea, I'm looking forward to hearing Neil's album.

I like Tanya Donelly's new album Beautysleep, and my song of the year is...

THE NIGHT YOU SAVED MY LIFE

t. donelly

Back
Top Bottom